Jan 16, 2014, 6:49 PM EDT
Anna Gonzalez, the official 2013-14 hockey beat writer for the Irish UNDerground blog, is currently a sophomore at the University of Notre Dame. Over the course of the year Anna will bring you insight from within the student section, interviews with Fighting Irish players and stories from inside the team circle. You can follow Anna (and the rest of the Notre Dame student beat writing staff) on twitter at @JrNDBloggers.
Canadian-born Shayne Taker was destined for hockey. From Surrey, British Colombia, Taker always knew he wanted to be a hockey player, so he came all the way to Northern Indiana to keep playing. The senior defenseman, in his three years so far with the Irish, has played in a total of 112 games, amounting 29 points, and he’s only halfway through his senior season. Here’s the Two-Minute Power Play with Shayne Taker…
If someone wrote a book about you, what would it be called? “Captain Canuck.”
If you didn’t play hockey, what sport would you play? Soccer.
If you had a time machine, when would you go to? 1970, because I love disco.
Who would play you in your biopic? Zayn Malik from One Direction.
What’s your favorite thing about Coach Jackson? He’s very personal. He’s good with one-on-one talk.
If you could be anyone for a day, who would you be? I’d be Mario Lucia because I like to score goals, and he seems to magically score goals.
What would be the perfect day for you? Waking up at 10:00, playing “Call of Duty” for 6 hours, eating for 10 minutes, and playing “Call of Duty” for 6 hours.
When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up? A Hockey player. Grew up in Canada, so I had blinders on. There was never anything else I wanted to do.
If you had a million dollars, what would you do with it? I’d buy a condo in Vancouver, which probably would cost a million dollars.
Do you have any superstitions? A lot. The way I put on my equipment, the way I skate in warm up—like the route I take—and the way I stretch. There’s a lot.
What is your favorite holiday? Halloween/Canadian Thanksgiving. They’re only two weeks apart, but I just like the leaves falling and the perfect temperature at that time.
What’s the best thing about home (Surrey, British Columbia)? It’s 15 minutes from Vancouver, and it’s 5 minutes from the beach, so it’s a nice balance between city and suburban life. Also, it’s very clean.
What is your favorite ice cream flavor? Birthday Cake. It’s a little sweet, but it’s so good.
What is your favorite song to listen to before games? “Reptile” by Skrillex
What was your favorite TV show when you were a kid? “Dragon Ball-Z.” I still watch it now.
What’s your biggest fear? Being late to workout. There’s a very severe punishment for that.
What surprises people most about you? I don’t know. I’ll say that I’m not too outgoing. A lot of people have this stigma for athletes that we like to party all the time, but I like to keep it low-key.
What is your favorite place in the entire world? There’s a nice dock on the beach by my house that outlooks the Pacific Ocean, and it’s really beautiful.
What is the best gift you’ve ever received? I’ve received two really good gifts: Last Christmas, my girlfriend gave me a Burberry watch. That was pretty good. And my last birthday, she came here for a week and a half.
What is the weirdest piece of clothing that you own? I just got a bow-tie online. The order was a mistake, but nonetheless, I have it.
- W. Tennis. Irish Wrap Up Competition At Midwest Regionals
- W. Soccer. Pitch Points: Irish Have The Right Road Formula
- M. Tennis. Irish Doubles Squad Completes Upset Weekend To Claim USTA/ITA Midwest Regional Crown
- W. Soccer. Elizabeth Tucker from University of Notre Dame Named 2014 NCAA Woman of the Year
- M. Tennis. Irish Upset Irish, Earn Bid Into Doubles Championship At Midwest Regionals
- W. Golf. Irish Women's Golf Places 10th In Strong Mercedes-Benz Championship Field
- W. Tennis. Top Doubles Tandem Advances To Monday's USTA/ITA Midwest Regional Championship Match
- W. Rowing. Top 10 For Irish Championship Four Highlights Head Of The Charles Results
- W. Volleyball. Irish Rally From Down 2-0; Best BC In Five-Set Thriller
- Football. Brian Kelly Florida State Review Teleconference Transcript
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Have you voted for the Student Athlete of the Week yet? Who gets YOUR vote- und.com/ot/socialpoll-… #GoIrish 7 hours ago
- New Inside @NDFootball, hosted by @NDJackNolan- ntrda.me/1FtbAIM See what @CoachBrianKelly had to say about our trip to FSU #GoIrish 8 hours ago
- The first ICON from @NDFIDM- ntrda.me/11Z2FiR "Battle in Tallahassee" 9 hours ago
- RT @NDmbb: Is our team & staff all accounted for? RT@NDfidm: In Pensacola getting ready for special project video shoot Tuesday. http://t.c… 10 hours ago
- RT @NDTIX: Don't forget to purchase your @NDmbb single game tickets! The first (exh) game vs Minnesota-Duluth is next Sat. http://t.co/OydE… 10 hours ago