Jan 24, 2014, 10:57 AM EST
Anna Gonzalez, the official 2013-14 hockey beat writer for the Irish UNDerground blog, is currently a sophomore at the University of Notre Dame. Over the course of the year Anna will bring you insight from within the student section, interviews with Fighting Irish players and stories from inside the team circle. You can follow Anna (and the rest of the Notre Dame student beat writing staff) on twitter at @JrNDBloggers.
Your 2013-14 Captain for the Irish, senior Jeff Costello, definitely earned his role as captain. In his first three years with the Irish, Costello played in 105 games, amounting 60 points. Over the course of that time, he rose to leadership. Before the season began, Coach Jackson said of him, “When he speaks, the guys listen–because he’d probably tear their heads off if they didn’t.” Here’s your Two-Minute Power Play with senior captain Jeff Costello…
If someone wrote a book about you, what would it be called? “The Path of the Savage”
If you didn’t play hockey, what sport would you play? Ping-pong
If you had a time machine, when would you go to? I’d go to the medieval times.
What actor would play you in your biopic? Probably Hugh Jackman. We’re pretty similar.
What’s your favorite meal? King Crab legs
What’s your favorite thing about Coach Jackson? I think just his knowledge of the game. He’s very impressive in the way he communicates to us.
If you could be anyone for a day, who would you be? Adam Levine from Maroon 5, for sure. He’s a good-looking guy and looks like he’s got his life figured out.
If you had a million dollars, what would you do with it? I would buy my parents a nice place wherever they wanted to live. And probably buy myself a few toys to play with, and then just save the rest for a rainy day.
Do you have a pre-game routine? Not really. Just show up, go to a few meetings, and start visualizing and focusing on the game.
What’s your favorite song to listen to before games? “Tidal Wave” by Sub Focus
What’s the best thing about your home state (Wisconsin)? The beer. Oh, and the cheese.
What’s your favorite spot on campus? I would say the grotto.
Favorite month of the year? June. School’s done. It’s warm out. No obligations.
What’s your favorite movie? Ever? That’s a hard question. “300.” Or “Wolverine.”
Would you rather be Jack Swarbrick or Fr. Jenkins for a day? I’d probably be Jack Swarbrick, because he’s obviously a very important person and he’s dealing with important people and issues. It’d be kind of cool to see what he does on a daily basis.
What’s your biggest fear? I fear nothing.
What was your favorite school subject when you were a kid? When I was a kid? It was math. Not so much anymore.
What surprises people most about you? That I’m tough on the outside, soft on the inside. I’m a big teddy bear.
What four people would you want to go golfing with? One would be Steve Yzerman. Two would be Abraham Lincoln. Three would be Michael Jordan. And number four would be the Dalai Lama.
What was the best lesson your parents ever taught you? To work hard, and be humble.
- General News. Irish Extra: Coccia Ready to `Fight the World's Fight'
- Fencing. Irish Extra: Coccia Ready to `Fight the World's Fight'
- W. Basketball. #3/2 Irish To Meet Harvard Monday Night In Hall Of Fame Challenge
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Men's Basketball Postgame Notes
- Fencing. Men's Fencing Adds to Women's Results Sunday At Penn State Open
- M. Soccer. #1 Notre Dame Ousts Ohio State, 2-1, In NCAA Second Round
- General News. Former Notre Dame Fencer Alex Coccia Named Rhodes Scholar
- Fencing. Former Notre Dame Fencer Alex Coccia Named Rhodes Scholar
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #3/2 Notre Dame 104, Holy Cross 29
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Holy Cross - Postgame Quotes
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- It's a Flash Sale! Look around- bit.ly/FLASHsale1124 Use the promo code FLASH10 get to $10 off purchases of $75+ http://t.co/Ao6ZwA6bfy 35 minutes ago
- .@NDwbb had a heck of a game against Holy Cross on Sunday. Check out the highlights- ntrda.me/1C5tqSO #GoIrishGo 1 hour ago
- RT @NotreDame: ICYMI: @AlexCoccia7, '14, was named a Rhodes Scholar - #NotreDame's 15th Rhodes Scholar and first since 2002. Congratulatio… 2 hours ago
- Highlights from last night's exciting, rainy NCAA win by @NDmenSoccer vs Ohio State- ntrda.me/1FjqApF Next up- @TheACC foe Virginia! 2 hours ago
- ICYMI @NDFencing alum Alex Coccia ('14) is named a 2015 Rhodes Scholar. Read all about it- ntrda.me/1tpOfOG #WeAreND 3 hours ago