THURSDAY’S T.I.F.I. – Talkin’ Shipp, @NDwbb’s Senior Stats, Snow, An Old Coach Brey Commercial & More!
Feb 20, 2014, 10:25 AM EST
Thursday is another big day for Irish athletics as the softball squad double dips for two games, the women’s swimming and diving squad continues to thrive in the pool at the ACC Championships while the men’s team begins their quest to send Coach Welsh out with conference title. The women’s basketball team traveled to Winston-Salem, N.C., last night in preparation for tonight’s contest with Wake Forest at 7 p.m. (ET) and the Irish baseball squad caps of the busy day for Notre Dame with an 8 p.m. (CT) first pitch against Santa Clara down in San Antonio, Texas.
Now, what did we miss …
- 1. Men’s Soccer – Another Honor For Shipp (Chicagoland Soccer)
After being named a MAC-Hermann Trophy finalist and captaining the Irish to an NCAA Championship, Harrison Shipp was not done with his trophy haul. Click the link above to read about Shipp’s ACC Scholar Athlete of the Year recognition.
- 2. Men’s Basketball – A Different Kind Of Loss (Chicago Tribune)
After winning two-consecutive games, the Irish traveled down to Miami (Fla.) to take on the Hurricanes. Trailing for most of the game, the Irish valiantly attempted to come back at the end on the back of Pat Connaughton and Demetrius Jackson. To read more, click the link above.
- 3. Football – Three-Year Itch (Irish Eyes)
Irish Eyes takes a look at a triumvirate of Irish student-athletes who will be juniors once the 2014 season begins in August and are looking to make a splash next season. To read more, click the link above.
- 4. Women’s Basketball – Seven Senior Stats (In The Paint)
The trio of senior women’s basketball student-athletes, Natalie Achonwa, Kayla McBride and Ariel Braker, have not only carried on the grand legacy of Irish women’s basketball, but they have paved their own path. What they have accomplished is staggering, and the numbers are downright gaudy. Click the link above to read more.
- 5. Football – Niklas Is A Man With A Plan (OC Register)
Former Notre Dame tight end Troy Niklas announced he was foregoing his final year of NCAA eligibility to make himself available in the 2014 NFL Draft. It is all just another part of the plan for “Hercules.” Click the link above to read more.
TWEET THAT MADE ME CHUCKLE
Last day for you, snow pile. You had a great run, but it's over. pic.twitter.com/cJfTh0p1fy
— Pat Forde (@YahooForde) February 20, 2014
It seems that excitement is abound all across the country, not just in South Bend, Ind.
NOTRE DAME-ISH VIDEO OF THE DAY
I wasn’t planning on doing any plugs to buy tickets on here, but this commercial from a few years back is just too good to pass up. Oh yeah, If you want to purchase any tickets for our events just head over to UND.com/BuyTickets.
TRIVIA QUESTION OF THE DAY
With Harrison Shipp notching the ACC Men’s Soccer Scholar-Athlete of the Year award, the question is, who was the last Irish men’s soccer player to cop that award while a member of the BIG EAST?
The answer to today’s trivia question will be found in tomorrow’s edition of Things I Found Interesting.
Yesterday’s Question: When was the last time the Irish men’s basketball team played three consecutive games on the road in the regular season? ANSWER: 2011
- Football. IRISH EXTRA: Loss to Louisville Can't Diminish Irish Ties
- M. Basketball. A Battle of Unbeatens As Notre Dame Meets Providence In Hall of Fame Tipoff Tournament
- Fencing. Notre Dame Finishes Day One of Penn State Open With Three Medalists
- Football. Notre Dame Football vs. Louisville Postgame Quotes
- Football. Notre Dame vs. Louisville- Postgame Notes
- Football. Irish Fall to Louisville, 31-28
- W. Soccer. #12/11 Clash With #5 Texas A&M In NCAA Championship Third Round Sunday
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Men's Basketball Postgame Notes
- W. Basketball. #3/2 Irish Face Holy Cross Sunday In Hall Of Fame Challenge Opener
- Cross Country. Irish Women Finish 29th At NCAA Championships, Add All-American To Ranks
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @ndwbb: Here is the post game infographic for #ndwbb's 104-29 victory over Holy Cross! http://t.co/coav1Jxdpr 11 minutes ago
- Lucky break for @NDMenSoccer as a goal is waved off by a yellow card to OSU #GoIrish #BeatBuckeyes 12 minutes ago
- OSU ties up the game at 1. Tune in on @WatchND- ntrda.me/157LhKq Let's go Irish! 20 minutes ago
- RT @NDMenSoccer: IRISH GOAL!!! Cicciarelli taken down in box and ND awarded PK. Aubrey buries it. Irish up 1-0 in 29th min #NDvsOSU 25 minutes ago
- GOAL IRISH! @NDMenSoccer 1 - OSU 0 #GoIrishGo 27 minutes ago