Feb 24, 2014, 9:36 AM EDT
Another fantastic weekend of Irish athletics are behind us!
The women’s basketball team continued their great play and wrapped up the ACC regular season title after defeating #7 Duke on Sunday, the women’s lacrosse team bounced back after a loss to Boston College with an 8-7 win over #12 Stony Brook and the 10th-ranked men’s tennis team was unable to pull the upset on #1 Ohio State on Saturday afternoon, but came back to demolish the Cardinals of Ball State that night in a match that was telecast on ESPN3.
What may have been the biggest news out of Notre Dame this weekend (and possibly the year) didn’t even take place on land, but in the pool. Already a multi-time pool, school and conference record holder, junior Emma Reaney made national headlines Saturday night at the Atlantic Coast Conference Championships as she broke the NCAA and American record in the 200-yard breaststroke with a remarkable time of 2:04.34. The mark is .14 seconds faster than Texas A&M senior and 2012 Olympic Gold Medalist in the 4×100-meter medley relay Breeja Larson swam in 2012.
Just another great performance by a Notre Dame student-athlete. You never know what will happen next.
Now, what did we miss …
- 1. Women’s Basketball – McBride Makes Case For PoY (ESPN.com)
After another stellar performance on the hardwood against Duke, Notre Dame senior guard Kayla McBride has made a push for national player of the year, Graham Hays writes. After a 31-point outing yesterday against Duke, McBride is starting to turn some heads. Click the link above to read more.
- 2. Hockey – Irish Sweep Terriers (The Observer)
In their first year in Hockey East, the Notre Dame hockey team has had an up-and-down year. Credit the coaching staff, the seniors and the rest of the squad for never quitting as they are on the cusp of an NCAA Championship berth after netting four points this weekend after two-straight wins over Boston University. To read more, click the link above.
- 3. Football – Q&A With Troy Niklas (SI.com)
As the NFL Combine continued over this past weekend, Dan Dahlke of FANSIDED (SI.com) had the chance to sit down with Troy Niklas for a short interview. To read the transcript of the interview, click the link above.
- 4. Women’s Golf – Huffer Makes Most Of Chance (SymetraTour.com)
Former Notre Dame golfer Becca Huffer received a sponsor exemption into last week’s Symetra Tour (one-step below LPGA Tour – Web.com Tour is male equivalent) event, the Visit Mesa Gateway Classic at Longbow Golf Club in Mesa, Ariz. To say that Huffer played well is an understatement as the former BIG EAST Champion and Colorado Open Champion fired off opening rounds of 70 and 69 before closing strong in the final round with a four-under par 68. Click the link above to read more.
— Becca Huffer (@beccahuffergolf) February 24, 2014
— Becca Huffer (@beccahuffergolf) February 24, 2014
- 5. Football – Tuitt’s Combine Done After Injury (NBCSports.com)
As the NFL Combine workouts were about to get underway for the defensive linemen today, it was reported that former Notre Dame defensive end Stephon Tuitt had a fractured bone in his left foot. Click the link above to read more.
TWEET THAT MADE ME CHUCKLE
— Matt Tansey (@Tansey62) February 22, 2014
Former Notre Dame football player Matt Tansey continues his training in the Armed Forces after graduation
NOTRE DAME-ISH VIDEO OF THE DAY
Take five minutes and watch former Notre Dame nose tackle, Louis Nix III, at the dais for his interview session at the NFL Combine.
TRIVIA QUESTION OF THE DAY
With football offensive lineman Zach Martin slated to go in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft, the question is simple. Who was the last Notre Dame student-athlete to be drafted in the first round of the NFL Draft as an offensive lineman?
The answer to today’s trivia question will be found in tomorrow’s edition of Things I Found Interesting.
Yesterday’s Question: Name the starting five for the Irish women’s basketball in the NCAA Championship game vs. Purdue in 2001. ANSWER: Ruth Riley, Niele Ivey, Ericka Haney, Kelley Siemon and Alicia Ratay.
- Cross Country. 35th Annual National Catholic Championships Set For Friday
- M. Tennis. Men's Tennis Kicks Off 2014 Fall Season In Illinois And New Jersey
- W. Volleyball. Irish Set For Purdue Active Ankle Challenge
- M. Soccer. #4 Notre Dame Visits #5 Virginia On Sunday For Key ACC Clash
- W. Soccer. IRISH EXTRA: Notre Dame-North Carolina Rivalry Revisited
- Cross Country. IRISH EXTRA: National Catholic Championships A Special Occasion For Large And Small Schools Alike
- M. Ice Hockey. Chicago Blackhawks Set To Open Training Camp At Compton Family Ice Arena On Sept. 19
- Compton Family Ice Arena. Chicago Blackhawks Set To Open Training Camp At Compton Family Ice Arena On Sept. 19
- W. Basketball. Ruth Riley Selected as One of 2014 Junior Chamber International Ten Outstanding Young Persons Of The World
- W. Lacrosse. Notre Dame Signing Class Ranked in Top 10
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ICYMI the panorama from the @NDFootball vs Michigan game is up and ready for sale on the @Panoramascom website- ntrda.me/NDpano2014 50 minutes ago
- 30 mins until Notre Dame Reborn airs on @NBCSN! Set your DVR for 7:30 pm ET #WeAreND 2 hours ago
- What do we <3 about @NotreDame? Visit us on @WeHeartIt to find out- ntrda.me/1opg5rC #LoveND 4 hours ago
- RT @NDXCTF: And the women's race is off... #natlcatholic http://t.co/X4cH5olMmb 5 hours ago
- .@NDSoftball has launched their 1st social poll! Which helmet they should wear for the upcoming season? #Vote ntrda.me/SoftballPoll 5 hours ago