Feb 25, 2014, 9:47 AM EST
There were no Notre Dame athletic events going on yesterday, but the Irish did haul in another three weekly honors from the Conference and National offices. Steven Summerhays notched yet another Hockey East Defensive Player of the Week award after shutting out Boston University in both games last weekend, Jewell Loyd copped both National and ACC honors after her stellar play on the hardwood and women’s lacrosse student-athlete Cortney Fortunato was honored as the National Freshman of the Week.
Now, what did we miss …
- 1. Women’s Swimming – Reaney Now The Hunted (South Bend Tribune)
After an American Record swim in the 200-yard breaststroke, junior Irish swimmer Emma Reaney has become the focal point of this Irish squad and has leapt to the forefront of national swimming news. Click the link above to read more about Reaney from a fantastic article by Al Lesar.
- 2. Football – Sizing Up The D-Line (Comcast SportsNet)
With the loss of Louis Nix III, Stephon Tuitt, Kona Schwenke and more, the Irish will look to a younger group of D-Liners to carry the load. To read more, click the link above.
- 3. Women’s Basketball – McBride Steps Up (South Bend Tribune)
Although Kayla McBride is a senior captain, she is seen as just another player on her current team due to the tremendous amount of depth that Coach McGraw’s squad holds. Great players do exactly as McBride did on Sunday, when their team needs them they find a way to get the win. Click the link above to read more.
- 4. Football – Spring Predictions: No. 4 (ESPN.com)
ESPN.com’s Matt Fortuna continues his predictions for the Irish spring practices. Today, he talks about what you should expect from the Irish running back corps. Click the link above to read more.
- 5. Women’s Lacrosse – Fortunato Finds Early Success (The Observer)
The Irish women’s lacrosse squad nabbed top-ranked recruit Cortney Fortunato a few years back, now that she is on campus, she is striving in just her first year of competition. Click the link above to read more.
TWEET THAT MADE ME CHUCKLE
Not sticking my broad jump. #BestPartOfCombineExperience 🍀🍫
— lOUIS NIX III (@1IrishChocolate) February 25, 2014
NOTRE DAME-ISH VIDEO OF THE DAY
This isn’t the best quality video, but it let’s you see Emma Reaney’s record-setting swim at the ACC Championship in the 200 breaststroke.
TRIVIA QUESTION OF THE DAY
With one more victory, men’s basketball coach Mike Brey will notch his 300th win at Notre Dame. Can you name the other Notre Dame men’s basketball coaches with 300 or more wins at the University?
The answer to today’s trivia question will be found in tomorrow’s edition of Things I Found Interesting.
Yesterday’s Question: With football offensive lineman Zach Martin slated to go in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft, the question is simple. Who was the last Notre Dame student-athlete to be drafted in the first round of the NFL Draft as an offensive lineman? ANSWER: Jeff Faine
- Football. IRISH EXTRA: Loss to Louisville Can't Diminish Irish Ties
- M. Basketball. A Battle of Unbeatens As Notre Dame Meets Providence In Hall of Fame Tipoff Tournament
- Fencing. Notre Dame Finishes Day One of Penn State Open With Three Medalists
- Football. Notre Dame Football vs. Louisville Postgame Quotes
- Football. Notre Dame vs. Louisville- Postgame Notes
- Football. Irish Fall to Louisville, 31-28
- W. Soccer. #12/11 Clash With #5 Texas A&M In NCAA Championship Third Round Sunday
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Men's Basketball Postgame Notes
- W. Basketball. #3/2 Irish Face Holy Cross Sunday In Hall Of Fame Challenge Opener
- Cross Country. Irish Women Finish 29th At NCAA Championships, Add All-American To Ranks
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @NDMenSoccer: Starting XI vs Ohio State #NDvsOSU http://t.co/w12QQE5mwh 4 minutes ago
- RT @NDMonogram: It’s been an incredible couple months for the @FightingIrish Class of 2014. An NCAA Woman of the Year in Oct. and a Rhodes … 22 minutes ago
- RT @ndwbb: Irish lead Holy Cross 74-18 with 10:04 left in the game 31 minutes ago
- #NDTwitter accounts you should be following right now- @NDwbb, @NDsidMasters, @NDMenSoccer, @NDsidSean #GamesInPrgress #GoIrishGo 33 minutes ago
- It's coming down at Alumni Stadium but that's not stopping the @NDMenSoccer party! Come on down! #GoIrish #BeatBuckeyes 36 minutes ago