Apr 1, 2014, 10:49 AM EDT
Four in row for the Irish women’s basketball team is how we start out today’s “Things I Found Interesting.” An 88-69 win over nemesis Baylor was the last roadblock standing in the way of the squad as they looked to become the fifth team in the history of women’s basketball to make six Final Four appearances.
In news on the alumni front, we talked to you yesterday about former hockey student-athlete Mark Van Guilder. Van Guilder was called up to the Nashville Predators over the weekend and played his first game in the NHL after playing in over 400 minor league hockey games. After seeing 8:27 of ice time in a 4-3 shootout win over Washington on Sunday, Van Guilder was reassigned to the Milwaukee Admirals on Monday. Take a minute to watch NHL Network’s interview with Van Guilder about his incredible journey.
It was opening day yesterday in Major League Baseball and the Irish were well represented as Jeff Samardzija was handed the ball to get the Chicago Cubs season underway. Samardzija was brilliant, tossing seven scoreless innings, allowing just five hits and striking out three. In true Cubs fashion, the “Loveable Losers” handed Samardzija a no decision and went on to lose in extra innings.
Now, what did we miss…
1. Irish Head To Nashville (South Bend Tribune)
A fourth-straight Final Four was not easy for the women’s basketball team. An injury to their “Ace” (literally), Natalie Achonwa, put a damper on the night’s proceedings, but the Irish will take a 36-0 record with them to Nashville. To read more, click the link above.
2. Fogarty Learning A New Style (SB Nation)
After another strong season with the Irish, Steven Fogarty’s play has always shined over his statistical output. Click the link above to read more.
3. Redfield Continues Strong Spring (Journal Gazette)
Last year Max Redfield didn’t see a ton of playing time for the Irish, yet in a new scheme under defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder, he looks to make a huge jump entering his sophomore campaign. Click the link above to read more.
Tweet Of The Day
— NationalProFastpitch (@profastpitch) April 1, 2014
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
I had the chance to work with Maddie a little bit a few years ago … this is exactly how she acts.
Did You Know…
The Notre Dame women’s basketball team reached the Final Four for the fourth-straight season and they are 6-0 all-time in the Elite Eight. They currently have the most wins without a loss in the Regional Final round. (Did You Know courtesy of ESPN Stats & Info)
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Ride Four-Goal First Period To A 6-3 Win Over Niagara University
- W. Volleyball. Irish Can't Finish Off First Set; Fall To VT, 3-0, Friday Night
- M. Soccer. Fighting Irish Know How To Stay Fit And Focused
- M. Golf. Irish Compete At Bridgestone Golf Collegiate To Cap Fall Schedule
- W. Golf. Armstrong Leads Irish Women's Golf To Fifth Place After First Round At Landfall Tradition
- M. Soccer. #1 Irish Play Host To Hokies On Saturday
- W. Soccer. Pitch Points: Olmsted's Emergence, TDS 100, ACC Tourney And More
- W. Soccer. #9/7 Irish Scrap To Hard-Fought 1-0 Home Win Over #20 Clemson
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Travels To "The Mother Of States" For Two ACC Matches
- M. Soccer. Patrick Wall Named A Finalist For Senior CLASS Award
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @NDHockey: After the 1st period: Notre Dame- 3, @NiagaraUHockey- 0. SOG: Irish- 18, Eagles- 2. 18 minutes ago
- .@NDmenSoccer is back up on @WatchND- ntrda.me/1ryQ6R4 #GoIrishGo 18 minutes ago
- RT @NDMenSoccer: .@WatchND feed is back up and running! Thanks for being patient #NDvsVT 19 minutes ago
- RT @NDHockey: GOAL! The third of the period was scored by Mario Lucia! 1:58 to go, and we're up 3-0. 29 minutes ago
- .@NDHockey is on fire! Another goal! #GoIrishGo 31 minutes ago