Apr 1, 2014, 10:49 AM EDT
Four in row for the Irish women’s basketball team is how we start out today’s “Things I Found Interesting.” An 88-69 win over nemesis Baylor was the last roadblock standing in the way of the squad as they looked to become the fifth team in the history of women’s basketball to make six Final Four appearances.
In news on the alumni front, we talked to you yesterday about former hockey student-athlete Mark Van Guilder. Van Guilder was called up to the Nashville Predators over the weekend and played his first game in the NHL after playing in over 400 minor league hockey games. After seeing 8:27 of ice time in a 4-3 shootout win over Washington on Sunday, Van Guilder was reassigned to the Milwaukee Admirals on Monday. Take a minute to watch NHL Network’s interview with Van Guilder about his incredible journey.
It was opening day yesterday in Major League Baseball and the Irish were well represented as Jeff Samardzija was handed the ball to get the Chicago Cubs season underway. Samardzija was brilliant, tossing seven scoreless innings, allowing just five hits and striking out three. In true Cubs fashion, the “Loveable Losers” handed Samardzija a no decision and went on to lose in extra innings.
Now, what did we miss…
1. Irish Head To Nashville (South Bend Tribune)
A fourth-straight Final Four was not easy for the women’s basketball team. An injury to their “Ace” (literally), Natalie Achonwa, put a damper on the night’s proceedings, but the Irish will take a 36-0 record with them to Nashville. To read more, click the link above.
2. Fogarty Learning A New Style (SB Nation)
After another strong season with the Irish, Steven Fogarty’s play has always shined over his statistical output. Click the link above to read more.
3. Redfield Continues Strong Spring (Journal Gazette)
Last year Max Redfield didn’t see a ton of playing time for the Irish, yet in a new scheme under defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder, he looks to make a huge jump entering his sophomore campaign. Click the link above to read more.
Tweet Of The Day
— NationalProFastpitch (@profastpitch) April 1, 2014
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
I had the chance to work with Maddie a little bit a few years ago … this is exactly how she acts.
Did You Know…
The Notre Dame women’s basketball team reached the Final Four for the fourth-straight season and they are 6-0 all-time in the Elite Eight. They currently have the most wins without a loss in the Regional Final round. (Did You Know courtesy of ESPN Stats & Info)
- W. Basketball. Ruth Riley Selected as One of 2014 Junior Chamber International Ten Outstanding Young Persons Of The World
- W. Lacrosse. Notre Dame Signing Class Ranked in Top 10
- Softball. Irish Softball To Play Six Fall Games At Melissa Cook Stadium
- W. Soccer. Notre Dame Teams To Take Part In Youth Soccer Month
- Football. Drue Tranquill Making An Impact
- General News. Five Core Values Serve Swarbrick And Notre Dame Well
- Baseball. Notre Dame Baseball Summer League Wrap-Up
- Football. Kuechenberg, Zbikowski Join Chicagoland Sports Hall of Fame
- W. Lacrosse. Women's Lacrosse Names 2015 Captains
- Football. Tony Alford Is All For Family
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- We're looking for teams to play in @NDmenSoccer's @GrassrootSoccer Tournament. Details & registration info ntrda.me/GrassrootSocce… #GoIrish 39 minutes ago
- #IrishOnTheMove (4/4) - Sunday, @NDmenSoccer is playing Virginia. Game will also be on ESPNU #GoIrish 1 hour ago
- #IrishOnTheMove (3/4) - Friday/Saturday @NDVolleyball is at the Purdue Challenge - Sunday @NDmensGolf is at the Windon Memorial (Chicago) 1 hour ago
- #IrishOnTheMove (2/4) Friday, @NDmensTennis is at the Fightin' Illini Invite (Olympic Fields, IL) & the Farnsworth Ivy Plus (Princeton, NJ) 1 hour ago
- Hey #VAirish, #NJirish, #INirsh, and #ILirish- our teams will be in your area this weekend! Here's the plan… (1/4) 1 hour ago