May 7, 2014, 10:29 AM EST
As a busy weekend of Notre Dame athletics is about to get underway shortly and the NFL Draft is slated to begin tomorrow night, let’s take a quick look at how our alums did in the professional ranks last night before getting into the “meat” of “Things I Found Interesting.”
Last night a pair of Notre Dame baseball alums saw action in the MLB. Jeff Manship of the Philadelphia Phillies tossed an inning of scoreless, no hit baseball in an extra inning loss for his squad. A.J. Pollock re-entered the lineup after five games off due to injury and notched a double and a walk in four appearances at the “dish.”
Now what did we miss …
1. Samardzija Has No Regret (Indianapolis Star)
Although he hasn’t been able to tally a win this season with the Cubs, Irish alum Jeff Samardzija has no regrets about choosing baseball over playing on the gridiron in the NFL. Click the link above to read more.
2. Kavanagh Leads Irish (WSBT)
Only two seasons into his career, sophomore Matt Kavanagh has already made his mark on the Notre Dame lacrosse program. Click the link above to read more.
3. Louis Replacing An All-Pro? (Boston Herald)
As the NFL Draft fast approaches on Thursday night, the mock drafts are ever changing. But we are not posting another one of those today, check out this story about the possibility of Louis Nix replacing Vince Wilfork Click the link above to read more.
Tweet Of The Day
— The Daily Domer (@DailyDomer) May 7, 2014
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
This may not have ended well for Irish alum A.J. Pollock last year, but this year should be a different story.
Did You Know?
The 17 years prior to Brian Kelly coming to Notre Dame the Irish had FOUR student-athletes drafted in the first round. If just one of the three possible first round picks this year (Zach Martin, Louis Nix III, Stephon Tuitt) is drafted in the first round, he will then tie the previous 17 years in just four years.
— Michael Bertsch (@NDsidBertschy) May 6, 2014
- Football. IRISH EXTRA: Loss to Louisville Can't Diminish Irish Ties
- M. Basketball. A Battle of Unbeatens As Notre Dame Meets Providence In Hall of Fame Tipoff Tournament
- Fencing. Notre Dame Finishes Day One of Penn State Open With Three Medalists
- Football. Notre Dame Football vs. Louisville Postgame Quotes
- Football. Notre Dame vs. Louisville- Postgame Notes
- Football. Irish Fall to Louisville, 31-28
- W. Soccer. #12/11 Clash With #5 Texas A&M In NCAA Championship Third Round Sunday
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Men's Basketball Postgame Notes
- W. Basketball. #3/2 Irish Face Holy Cross Sunday In Hall Of Fame Challenge Opener
- Cross Country. Irish Women Finish 29th At NCAA Championships, Add All-American To Ranks
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @ndwbb: Here is the post game infographic for #ndwbb's 104-29 victory over Holy Cross! http://t.co/coav1Jxdpr 9 minutes ago
- Lucky break for @NDMenSoccer as a goal is waved off by a yellow card to OSU #GoIrish #BeatBuckeyes 11 minutes ago
- OSU ties up the game at 1. Tune in on @WatchND- ntrda.me/157LhKq Let's go Irish! 18 minutes ago
- RT @NDMenSoccer: IRISH GOAL!!! Cicciarelli taken down in box and ND awarded PK. Aubrey buries it. Irish up 1-0 in 29th min #NDvsOSU 23 minutes ago
- GOAL IRISH! @NDMenSoccer 1 - OSU 0 #GoIrishGo 25 minutes ago