May 13, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT
A huge weekend for not only the Notre Dame football family in the NFL Draft, but also a variety of other sports as well. Although the three main linked articles may be football centric, that doesn’t mean there isn’t an abundance of great performances this weekend from Irish squads.
Let’s first start out by giving the low down on the happenings around the Irish. In their first series at Frank Eck Stadium this season, the Irish baseball team took two-of-three games from nationally-ranked Clemson, the softball squad came up just short of being crowned ACC Champions, the men’s lacrosse team continues dancing in “May Madness” after winning its first game of the NCAA Championship on Saturday and both of the tennis squads have moved on to the round of 16 in the NCAA Championship.
Let’s move on alumni news, and there is A LOT of it in the world of soccer. First off, a congratulations is necessary for Matt Besler, who was named to the United States Men’s National Team 30-man preliminary roster ahead of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil in a few months. The roster will be whittled down to 23 names by June 2nd.
Continuing our look around the world of soccer, we dive into last week’s play in the MLS and there is no place to start better than with Harrison Shipp. Shipp knocked in a triumvirate of tallies for not only his first career professional goal, but his first THREE professional goals (a.k.a. hat trick). Check out his three goals below:
Did we mention he also picked up an assist? (see below)
Lastly, after being drafted by the Columbus Crew after the 2012 season, Ryan Finley was recently traded to Chivas USA and saw his first action in MLS play this past weekend, subbing in in the final segment of a 3-1 victory.
Now what did we miss …
1. Rees Signs With Washington (Lake County News-Sun)
His career at Notre Dame allowed Tommy Rees to pen his name in multiple portions of the Irish record book, he is now attempting to continue his football career with the Washington Redskins. Click the link above to read more.
2. Tuitt Excited To Be a Steeler (Steelers.com)
After falling to the 46th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, you may think that former Notre Dame defensive lineman Stephon Tuitt would be angry, quite the contrary. Now Tuitt gets to play with a fantastic franchise with a strong and rich history of hard-nosed defense. Click the link above to read more.
3. An In-Depth Look At Jackson (Bleacher Report)
A stellar career with the Irish both on the field and off of it helped grow Bennett Jackson in many ways. After captaining the Irish during the 2013 season, he has set his sights on playing at the next level and has found himself playing for the New York Football Giants. Click the link above to read more.
— Bennett Jackson Jr. (@B_Jax2) May 13, 2014
Tweet Of The Day
In a race for the ages catcher Ryan Lidge beats assistant coach Jesse Woods! https://t.co/MWRUTzcm8j
— ND Baseball (@NDBaseball) May 11, 2014
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
Take a few minutes to listen to head women’s tennis coach Jay Louderback as he reflects on his time at Notre Dame.
Did You Know?
The Cubs scored 17 runs last night…or 2 more runs than they have scored in Jeff Samardzija's eight starts.
— John Walters (@jdubs88) May 13, 2014
#Cubs scored more runs tonight than in all 8 of Samardzija's starts. Wood: "I instantly came in here and gave him a hug and said 'Sorry'"
— Carrie Muskat (@CarrieMuskat) May 13, 2014
- M. Golf. Irish Move Up To Sixth Place After Solid Round Two At Windon Memorial
- M. Tennis. Monaghan Knocks Off No. 6 Jared Hiltzik Sunday In Illinois
- M. Soccer. #4 Notre Dame Draws At #5 Virginia, 1-1
- M. Ice Hockey. IRISH EXTRA:Compton Family Ice Arena Draws Raves from the Chicago Blackhawks
- Compton Family Ice Arena. IRISH EXTRA:Compton Family Ice Arena Draws Raves from the Chicago Blackhawks
- W. Soccer. IRISH EXTRA: Lessons From The North Carolina Match
- W. Volleyball. No. 11 Purdue Takes Down Notre Dame, 3-0
- M. Tennis. Men's Tennis Continues Play At Fighting Illini Invitational And Farnsworth Ivy Invitational
- W. Soccer. #18/12 Irish Drop 2OT Heartbreaker To #9/8 North Carolina, 3-2
- M. Ice Hockey. IRISH EXTRA: Blackhawk's Stephen Johns Feeling Right At Home At Notre Dame
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @ndwbb: Check out the new artwork in our office - we added 2014 to our Final Four mural! 6 Final Fours (and counting)! http://t.co/b2PpU… 39 minutes ago
- #FightingIrish Instagram accounts @NDSoftball = notredamesoftball @NDVolleyball = ndvball @NDSoccer = ndwsoccer #GoIrish 53 minutes ago
- #FightingIrish Instagram accounts @NDwomensLax = ndwomenslax @NDmbb = ndmbb @NDmenSoccer = ndmensoccer @NDmensTennis = ndmenstennis ... 58 minutes ago
- #FightingIrish Instagram accounts @NDLacrosse = ndlacrosse @NDwbb = ndwbb @NDwomensGolf = ndwomensgolf ... 1 hour ago
- Our teams are on Instagram, so give them a follow... @NDFootball = ndfbrecruiting @NDmensGolf = ndmensgolf @NDwSwimming = ndwswimming ... 1 hour ago