May 27, 2014, 4:28 PM EST
A great week on the international stage for the Irish soccer program as the men’s squad continues its journey over in Africa for their “Service, Sightseeing & Soccer” trip abroad. On the national stage, an alum was named to the United States Men’s National Team for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil and on the club level, there were some highlights from past Irish stars.
Let’s begin with the United State Men’s National Team. Last Thursday, Jurgen Klinsmann, the manager of the U.S. National Team, announced the final 23-man roster for the 2014 World Cup. The list is a “who’s who” of United States “futbol” and the squad included 2009 Notre Dame grad Matt Besler, the captain of Sporting KC.
Many believe that Besler has a spot in the “Starting XI” on lockdown for the World Cup after his brilliant play in the CONCACAF Gold Cup, World Cup Qualifying and International Friendlies. Take a few moments to watch what Notre Dame men’s soccer coach Bobby Clark had to say about Besler’s inclusion on the US Men’s National Team.
In the world of Major League Soccer, Dillon Powers is the man of the week for the Irish, netting two goals for the Colorado Rapids en route to a 4-1 win on Saturday night over fellow Irish alum Jeb Brovsky and the Montreal Impact.
Although he didn’t register anything in the offensive score line in this week’s game, Harrison Shipp made his presence felt on the pitch in the defensive third.
Justin Morrow continued his stellar play for Toronto FC, making yet another start at his left outside back position. He helped Toronto to a 2-2 draw against defending MLS Champion Sporting KC last Friday (May 23).
Aaron Maund did not see game action for Real Salt Lake, but was listed as a possible substitution for the contest. RSL would end up in a, 0-0, tie with FC Dallas.
- General News. Spreading Christmas Joy
- General News. Former Notre Dame Sports Medicine Pioneer Dr. Les Bodnar Dies
- M. Basketball. #21/21 Irish To Clash With Purdue At Crossroads Classic
- Football. ECHOES `14: Notre Dame Football Awards Show Premieres December 20, 2014 on NBC Sports Network
- Fencing. Francesca Russo: Big-Time Dreamer, Full-Throttle Fencer
- W. Soccer. Naughton, Roccaro Named To NSCAA Scholar All-America Third Team
- Baseball. Baseball Announces Elite 2015 Schedule
- M. Lacrosse. Notre Dame Debuts At #2 In Inside Lacrosse Preseason Poll
- Football. Kelly Cares Foundation, Irish Football Donate $10,000 To Food Bank Of Northern Indiana
- W. Lacrosse. Women's Lacrosse Announces 2015 Schedule
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Love the graphics that we had for @NDFootball? That's @TeamInfographs! Thanks for the fantastic work #TeamTIG http://t.co/huDd79dCf1 24 minutes ago
- Looking for something fun to do on Saturday? Head to Indy to support @NDmbb in the Crossroads Classic! Tickets- ntrda.me/CrossroadClass… 53 minutes ago
- New @NDHockey blog on the Fighting Irish Tumblr! Bryan Rust opens up his NHL account- ntrda.me/1GyzMci #GoIrish 1 hour ago
- RT @NDmbb: Andy Katz (@ESPNAndyKatz) named Z.A. his PLAYER OF THE WEEK after his huge game vs FSU. WATCH: es.pn/1AcGXmL http://t.c… 1 hour ago
- Loved the tour of the @NDXCTF? In this edition, we explore the Castellan Family @NDFencing Facility- ntrda.me/1Cc5862 #GoIrish 2 hours ago