May 27, 2014, 4:28 PM EDT
A great week on the international stage for the Irish soccer program as the men’s squad continues its journey over in Africa for their “Service, Sightseeing & Soccer” trip abroad. On the national stage, an alum was named to the United States Men’s National Team for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil and on the club level, there were some highlights from past Irish stars.
Let’s begin with the United State Men’s National Team. Last Thursday, Jurgen Klinsmann, the manager of the U.S. National Team, announced the final 23-man roster for the 2014 World Cup. The list is a “who’s who” of United States “futbol” and the squad included 2009 Notre Dame grad Matt Besler, the captain of Sporting KC.
Many believe that Besler has a spot in the “Starting XI” on lockdown for the World Cup after his brilliant play in the CONCACAF Gold Cup, World Cup Qualifying and International Friendlies. Take a few moments to watch what Notre Dame men’s soccer coach Bobby Clark had to say about Besler’s inclusion on the US Men’s National Team.
In the world of Major League Soccer, Dillon Powers is the man of the week for the Irish, netting two goals for the Colorado Rapids en route to a 4-1 win on Saturday night over fellow Irish alum Jeb Brovsky and the Montreal Impact.
Although he didn’t register anything in the offensive score line in this week’s game, Harrison Shipp made his presence felt on the pitch in the defensive third.
Justin Morrow continued his stellar play for Toronto FC, making yet another start at his left outside back position. He helped Toronto to a 2-2 draw against defending MLS Champion Sporting KC last Friday (May 23).
Aaron Maund did not see game action for Real Salt Lake, but was listed as a possible substitution for the contest. RSL would end up in a, 0-0, tie with FC Dallas.
- W. Basketball. Ruth Riley Selected as One of 2014 Junior Chamber International Ten Outstanding Young Persons Of The World
- W. Lacrosse. Notre Dame Signing Class Ranked in Top 10
- Softball. Irish Softball To Play Six Fall Games At Melissa Cook Stadium
- W. Soccer. Notre Dame Teams To Take Part In Youth Soccer Month
- Football. Drue Tranquill Making An Impact
- General News. Five Core Values Serve Swarbrick And Notre Dame Well
- Baseball. Notre Dame Baseball Summer League Wrap-Up
- Football. Kuechenberg, Zbikowski Join Chicagoland Sports Hall of Fame
- W. Lacrosse. Women's Lacrosse Names 2015 Captains
- Football. Tony Alford Is All For Family
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Don't forget, Notre Dame Reborn re-airs tomorrow at 7:30 pm ET on @NBCSN. Set those DVRs! #GoIrish 46 minutes ago
- Saturday will be beautiful, so #ComeByAlumni & cheer on @NDSoccer at their biggest game of the season vs UNC! @NDTix ntrda.me/WSocvsUNC 1 hour ago
- ICYMI We will NOT be showing a #NDFBClassics, presented by @Tire_Rack, this week. Look for us next week with @NDFootball vs LSU (1998). 2 hours ago
- Notre Dame Athletics In The News - eepurl.com/3EZxL 5 hours ago
- We need a little music to get through that last bit of the work day. A little pick up from @NDFencing spoti.fi/18YlG2g #HitPlay 5 hours ago