Jun 1, 2014, 9:25 PM EST
Sunday, June 1, 2014
After a quick breakfast at their San Marino hotel high on a mountaintop, the Irish played their second game at 11 a.m. versus Team Norway. Great Britain defeated Italy 14-8 in the early-morning opener.
Notre Dame ended up winning 21-5, but that score came after the two squads split rosters (and coaching staffs) for the final period of play. The Irish led 7-1 after one period, 10-2 at halftime and 17-3 after three periods.
Notre Dame produced 14 different goal-scorers—with Kyle Runyan notching three and Ty Brenneman and Jack Doyle two each, all of those in the opening three periods. Nick Ossello, Cole Riccardi and Sergio Perkovic all added their second tallies in the final period.
Norway’s Per-arne Kvalvag put up two final-period goals for his team, which is headed for the world championships later this summer in Denver. Norwegian goaltender Erlend Hoel made a handful of impressive saves to keep his team competitive.
Kevin Corrigan spoke to both teams together after the game, noting the two former Irish players coaching the Norwegian squad—and there was a fair amount of good-natured bantering going on during the game between the two staffs.
Said Norway coach Dan Scolaro: “Everybody on our team is a big Notre Dame lacrosse fan. We watch all their games.
“This was a little strange today because I was on the other side when our team played in Prague (Czech Republic) in 2005.
“But this was great for us, because our players look at the Notre Dame players as celebrities.”
Then the Notre Dame team and staff headed to the beach in Rimini where the Irish spent the rest of the day and evening at beach umbrella/sunbed section #42. It was a perfect 72-degree sunny day for sampling the turquoise-blue waters of the Adriatic Sea.
Here’s what’s ahead:
Monday: At 10 a.m. it’s the Irish vs. Team Italy in another “friendly” match at Riccione. That’s Notre Dame’s final match of the trip, in advance of visits to Florence, Cinque Terre and Rome.
Check UND.com and WatchND for print and video updates from the Notre Dame men’s lacrosse journey to Italy. Stay connected to this trip on Twitter via @ndlacrosse, @ndheisler & @ndlaxexperience. Use hashtag #NDLaxItaly.
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Men's Basketball Postgame Notes
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Men's Basketball Postgame Quotes
- M. Basketball. #21/21 Irish Rout Purdue at the Crossroads Classic, 94-63
- W. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: The McGraw-Saint Joseph's Connection
- Football. IRISH EXTRA: Football Makes a Holiday Contribution
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame-Hartford Men's Basketball Game On Dec. 30 Moved To 7:30 pm (ET) Start Time
- W. Basketball. #5/4 Irish Play Host To Saint Joseph's Sunday Afternoon
- General News. Spreading Christmas Joy
- General News. Former Notre Dame Sports Medicine Pioneer Dr. Les Bodnar Dies
- M. Basketball. #21/21 Irish To Clash With Purdue At Crossroads Classic
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.