Jun 1, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT
Sunday, June 1, 2014
After a quick breakfast at their San Marino hotel high on a mountaintop, the Irish played their second game at 11 a.m. versus Team Norway. Great Britain defeated Italy 14-8 in the early-morning opener.
Notre Dame ended up winning 21-5, but that score came after the two squads split rosters (and coaching staffs) for the final period of play. The Irish led 7-1 after one period, 10-2 at halftime and 17-3 after three periods.
Notre Dame produced 14 different goal-scorers—with Kyle Runyan notching three and Ty Brenneman and Jack Doyle two each, all of those in the opening three periods. Nick Ossello, Cole Riccardi and Sergio Perkovic all added their second tallies in the final period.
Norway’s Per-arne Kvalvag put up two final-period goals for his team, which is headed for the world championships later this summer in Denver. Norwegian goaltender Erlend Hoel made a handful of impressive saves to keep his team competitive.
Kevin Corrigan spoke to both teams together after the game, noting the two former Irish players coaching the Norwegian squad—and there was a fair amount of good-natured bantering going on during the game between the two staffs.
Said Norway coach Dan Scolaro: “Everybody on our team is a big Notre Dame lacrosse fan. We watch all their games.
“This was a little strange today because I was on the other side when our team played in Prague (Czech Republic) in 2005.
“But this was great for us, because our players look at the Notre Dame players as celebrities.”
Then the Notre Dame team and staff headed to the beach in Rimini where the Irish spent the rest of the day and evening at beach umbrella/sunbed section #42. It was a perfect 72-degree sunny day for sampling the turquoise-blue waters of the Adriatic Sea.
Here’s what’s ahead:
Monday: At 10 a.m. it’s the Irish vs. Team Italy in another “friendly” match at Riccione. That’s Notre Dame’s final match of the trip, in advance of visits to Florence, Cinque Terre and Rome.
Check UND.com and WatchND for print and video updates from the Notre Dame men’s lacrosse journey to Italy. Stay connected to this trip on Twitter via @ndlacrosse, @ndheisler & @ndlaxexperience. Use hashtag #NDLaxItaly.
- M. Swimming. Notre Dame Set To Host Purdue Saturday In First Dual Meet Of The Season
- M. Basketball. Irish To Meet Minnesota Duluth In Exhibition Opener
- Baseball. Blue Tops Gold, 6-3, In First Game Of Annual Fall Series
- Football. Notre Dame's Jerome Bettis Named Walter Camp Man of the Year
- Football. IRISH EXTRA: Irish Know It's `Game On' with Midshipmen
- W. Volleyball. Irish Welcome In Georgia Tech For Halloween Showdown
- M. Soccer. Irish Place Three On Academic All-District 5 First Team
- Cross Country. Irish Eye Consistency At Hilly ACC Championship Race
- M. Soccer. #5 Notre Dame Draws With #12 Michigan State, 1-1
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Icers To Play Host To Vermont To Close Out Eight-Game Home Stand
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Big games are ahead for @NDFootball, so make sure you have the @UnderArmour gear to cheer on our Irish- ntrda.me/1wNiMu4 #TeamUA 26 minutes ago
- It's #GreenFriday, Halloween edition! Tag us & @gamedayND in your photos and we will retweet the best ones! #BooIrish http://t.co/3jrjYfjopR 1 hour ago
- Halloween is finally here! #HitPlay on @NDSoftball's Scare-tacular @Spotify playlist- spoti.fi/1g9tIMB #NDHalloween 2 hours ago
- .@NDsoftball has been hijacked! It's a MONSTE... wait, it's Katie Beriont. Give them a follow #KBTwitterTakeover http://t.co/MVDq50KPtx 2 hours ago
- RT @RegBrooks40: Women's @NDXCTF finish 5th at the @theACC XC Championships! #GoIrish http://t.co/QCS60efCy3 2 hours ago