Jun 2, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
As the competitive collegiate season winds down for Fighting Irish squads, NCAA honors and appearances were claimed by student-athletes. The track and field teams punched tickets to the NCAA Championships with performances this weekend and the rowing squad tied its best finish ever at the NCAA Championships.
In alumni news, former Notre Dame men’s soccer student-athlete Dillon Powers continued his stellar play this season for the Colorado Rapids of Major League Soccer. In a 3-0 win over the Houston Dynamo, Powers tallied two assists and could have easily had one more if it weren’t for a goal line stop from a Dynamo defender. Check out the clips below of both of his assists.
Now what did we miss …
1. Irish Row To Ninth-Place Finish (NCAA.com)
The Notre Dame rowing team tied their best finish ever at the NCAA Championships last weekend as they stopping the clock in the ninth position.. Click the link above to read more.
2. One Last Roadblock (Irish Eyes)
A few decades after leaving the University, Jerome Bettis is still working on getting his diploma from Notre Dame. Click the link above to read more.
3. Pollock’s All-Star Bid Beaned By Ball (Sporting News)
Former Notre Dame baseball student-athlete A.J. Pollock was on a tear of late, batting over .300 on the season and .365 over the last 14 days. Unfortunately, Pollock was injured in a game this weekend and will be out for some time with a fractured bone in his hand. Click the link above to read more.
Tweet Of The Day
— Summer Sanders (@SummerSanders_) June 2, 2014
Congrats to Evan Sharpley and the rest of the Notre Dame Football alumni group who swam, biked and ran the Escape From Alcatraz Triathlon this past weekend in memory of former teammate Asaph “Ace” Schwapp.
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
As Matt Besler (’09) gets ready for the World Cup with the United States Men’s National Team, a local affiliate in Kansas City is documenting his past.
Did You Know?
If Matt Besler steps on the pitch for the 2014 World Cup, he will become the first Notre Dame men’s soccer alum to play in the World Cup for the United States.
- Football. Thursday Night Classics Presented By TireRack.com Debuts Tonight
- Monogram Club. Deceased Members of the Irish Football Family To Be Honored Before Kickoff
- W. Volleyball. Irish Enter Second ACC Season With Plenty Of Veterans And New Faces
- W. Swimming. Kovenock Named Head Women's Swimming & Diving Coach At Brown
- W. Soccer. Pitch Points: Irish Evaluations From The Opening Week
- M. Basketball. Visits By Michigan State, Virginia, Duke and Syracuse Highlight 2014-15 Notre Dame Men's Basketball Home Slate
- Football. Collinsworth, Day, Martin and McDaniel Named 2014 Notre Dame Football Captains
- M. Soccer. Fighting Irish Embrace New Challenge In 2014
- W. Volleyball. The Opening Serve: Houser Named Preseason All-ACC
- Football. Notre Dame Offering Smartphone Upgrades For 2014 Fighting Irish Football Campaign
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Make sure you are following @GameDayND for all of the latest info, and check gameday.nd.edu before you hit campus this weekend! 11 minutes ago
- Participating in @GameDayND's #GreenFriday tomorrow? Tweet them pics of your spiffy green ensembles #ItsEasyBeingGreen 17 minutes ago
- Friday is @GameDayND's 1st #GreenFriday! Wear your green to campus or the office to get up for @NDFootball vs Rice! http://t.co/8ejYp2MXg9 21 minutes ago
- RT @NDTIX: What a year! #tbt 1988 ND vs Rice courtesy of @NDArchives #WakeUpTheEchoes #1988NationalChamps bit.ly/NDFBvsRice http://t.c… 48 minutes ago
- How this works… - Go to @WatchND at 8 pm ET ntrda.me/TNCG98Mich - Fire up your Twitter account - Tweet with the hashtag #NDFBClassics 1 hour ago