Jun 3, 2014, 11:49 AM EST
Another weekend of great play from Notre Dame men’s soccer alums in the professional and International ranks is behind us. We can’t forget about our boy, Matt Besler on the United States Men’s National Team on his play preceding the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
Before we get underway, take a minute to vote for the four alums on the MLS All-Star Game ballot – Matt Besler, Justin Morrow, Dillon Powers & Harrison Shipp. Click here to VOTE.
On the U.S. Men’s National Team, Matt Besler continues to take his spot at left center back for each of the squad’s matches leading up to the World Cup in Brazil. Besler was subbed out in the 46th minute of Sunday’s match against Turkey with the clean sheet still intact for America. The U.S. went on to win 2-1 with one more match before the squad boards the plane for Brazil. The first match of the World Cup for the U.S. is on Monday, June 16th against Ghana.
A local Fox affiliate in Besler’s hometown of Kansas City continues its look into his journey to the World Cup. (FYI – Matt’s little brother, Nick, is a starting midfielder on the Irish men’s soccer team. Matt’s wedding took place the day before Nick and the Irish won the University’s first men’s NCAA title.
Powers, the reigning MLS rookie of the year, is continuing his assault on defenses in the MLS. In the Colorado Rapids 3-0 victory this past weekend, Powers accounted for two assists, but should have had another as one of his nifty chips found a wide open Rapids forward in the middle of the box, but he couldn’t find the back of the wide open net.
Morrow and Toronto FC battled to a 3-2 win over the Columbus Crew last weekend. Stationed at his left outside back position, Morrow helped push the offensive attack down the left flank all match, leading to a series of goals for Toronto.
The Chicago Fire struck first against the star-studded LA Galaxy squad, before finishing the match in a draw, 1-1. Shipp, may not have tallied a mark on the box score, but his stellar passing and through balls helped set up the lone Fire goal on the night on a Penalty Kick.
Finley checked took the field for Chivas USA in the 68th-minute of last weekend’s contest against the Philadelphia Union. This marked a string of three-straight matches in which Finley has seen game action.
Check back next week for the next edition of #IrishInTheMLS
- Baseball. Baseball Announces Elite 2015 Schedule
- M. Lacrosse. Notre Dame Debuts At #2 In Inside Lacrosse Preseason Poll
- Football. Kelly Cares Foundation, Irish Football Donate $10,000 To Food Bank Of Northern Indiana
- W. Lacrosse. Women's Lacrosse Announces 2015 Schedule
- Football. IRISH EXTRA: Huarte Celebrates 50 Years Since Heisman Trophy Win
- M. Lacrosse. Fighting Irish Picked To Defend ACC Title
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Women's Basketball Guard Jewell Loyd Named National And Conference Player of the Week
- M. Soccer. Nick Besler And Luke Mishu Invited To MLS Combine
- Fencing. Irish Extra: New Notre Dame Fencing Boss Knows All the Right Moves
- M. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: ACC Opener Earns High Marks for Brey's Crew
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- A few days left to order ND gear that arrives in time for Christmas- bit.ly/17M5K7v Note- 15-40% off cold weather gear #GetYours 23 minutes ago
- We're starting to count down the days until the @MusicCityBowl! So... will you be joining us in Music City? @NDTix- ntrda.me/NDFBMusicCity 1 hour ago
- RT @NDFencing: Check out this feature on freshman sabre fencer and rising @FightingIrish star @frannyrusso! und.com/sports/c-fenc/… 3 hours ago
- RT @NDsoccernews: Congrats to @NDSoccer's @NSCAA Scholar All-Americans (3rd Tm) @k_naughton24 and @cari_roccaro! ntrda.me/16tRH76 htt… 5 hours ago
- RT @ndwbb: Don't forget: Sunday's game vs. St Joseph's will be the 10th annual #ndwbb Teddy Bear Toss! Bring your stuffed animals to toss a… 5 hours ago