Jun 3, 2014, 11:49 AM EDT
Another weekend of great play from Notre Dame men’s soccer alums in the professional and International ranks is behind us. We can’t forget about our boy, Matt Besler on the United States Men’s National Team on his play preceding the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
Before we get underway, take a minute to vote for the four alums on the MLS All-Star Game ballot – Matt Besler, Justin Morrow, Dillon Powers & Harrison Shipp. Click here to VOTE.
On the U.S. Men’s National Team, Matt Besler continues to take his spot at left center back for each of the squad’s matches leading up to the World Cup in Brazil. Besler was subbed out in the 46th minute of Sunday’s match against Turkey with the clean sheet still intact for America. The U.S. went on to win 2-1 with one more match before the squad boards the plane for Brazil. The first match of the World Cup for the U.S. is on Monday, June 16th against Ghana.
A local Fox affiliate in Besler’s hometown of Kansas City continues its look into his journey to the World Cup. (FYI – Matt’s little brother, Nick, is a starting midfielder on the Irish men’s soccer team. Matt’s wedding took place the day before Nick and the Irish won the University’s first men’s NCAA title.
Powers, the reigning MLS rookie of the year, is continuing his assault on defenses in the MLS. In the Colorado Rapids 3-0 victory this past weekend, Powers accounted for two assists, but should have had another as one of his nifty chips found a wide open Rapids forward in the middle of the box, but he couldn’t find the back of the wide open net.
Morrow and Toronto FC battled to a 3-2 win over the Columbus Crew last weekend. Stationed at his left outside back position, Morrow helped push the offensive attack down the left flank all match, leading to a series of goals for Toronto.
The Chicago Fire struck first against the star-studded LA Galaxy squad, before finishing the match in a draw, 1-1. Shipp, may not have tallied a mark on the box score, but his stellar passing and through balls helped set up the lone Fire goal on the night on a Penalty Kick.
Finley checked took the field for Chivas USA in the 68th-minute of last weekend’s contest against the Philadelphia Union. This marked a string of three-straight matches in which Finley has seen game action.
Check back next week for the next edition of #IrishInTheMLS
- M. Swimming. Notre Dame Set To Host Purdue Saturday In First Dual Meet Of The Season
- M. Basketball. Irish To Meet Minnesota Duluth In Exhibition Opener
- Baseball. Blue Tops Gold, 6-3, In First Game Of Annual Fall Series
- Football. Notre Dame's Jerome Bettis Named Walter Camp Man of the Year
- Football. IRISH EXTRA: Irish Know It's `Game On' with Midshipmen
- W. Volleyball. Irish Welcome In Georgia Tech For Halloween Showdown
- M. Soccer. Irish Place Three On Academic All-District 5 First Team
- Cross Country. Irish Eye Consistency At Hilly ACC Championship Race
- M. Soccer. #5 Notre Dame Draws With #12 Michigan State, 1-1
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Icers To Play Host To Vermont To Close Out Eight-Game Home Stand
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Big games are ahead for @NDFootball, so make sure you have the @UnderArmour gear to cheer on our Irish- ntrda.me/1wNiMu4 #TeamUA 27 minutes ago
- It's #GreenFriday, Halloween edition! Tag us & @gamedayND in your photos and we will retweet the best ones! #BooIrish http://t.co/3jrjYfjopR 1 hour ago
- Halloween is finally here! #HitPlay on @NDSoftball's Scare-tacular @Spotify playlist- spoti.fi/1g9tIMB #NDHalloween 2 hours ago
- .@NDsoftball has been hijacked! It's a MONSTE... wait, it's Katie Beriont. Give them a follow #KBTwitterTakeover http://t.co/MVDq50KPtx 2 hours ago
- RT @RegBrooks40: Women's @NDXCTF finish 5th at the @theACC XC Championships! #GoIrish http://t.co/QCS60efCy3 2 hours ago