Jun 3, 2014, 11:49 AM EDT
Another weekend of great play from Notre Dame men’s soccer alums in the professional and International ranks is behind us. We can’t forget about our boy, Matt Besler on the United States Men’s National Team on his play preceding the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
Before we get underway, take a minute to vote for the four alums on the MLS All-Star Game ballot – Matt Besler, Justin Morrow, Dillon Powers & Harrison Shipp. Click here to VOTE.
On the U.S. Men’s National Team, Matt Besler continues to take his spot at left center back for each of the squad’s matches leading up to the World Cup in Brazil. Besler was subbed out in the 46th minute of Sunday’s match against Turkey with the clean sheet still intact for America. The U.S. went on to win 2-1 with one more match before the squad boards the plane for Brazil. The first match of the World Cup for the U.S. is on Monday, June 16th against Ghana.
A local Fox affiliate in Besler’s hometown of Kansas City continues its look into his journey to the World Cup. (FYI – Matt’s little brother, Nick, is a starting midfielder on the Irish men’s soccer team. Matt’s wedding took place the day before Nick and the Irish won the University’s first men’s NCAA title.
Powers, the reigning MLS rookie of the year, is continuing his assault on defenses in the MLS. In the Colorado Rapids 3-0 victory this past weekend, Powers accounted for two assists, but should have had another as one of his nifty chips found a wide open Rapids forward in the middle of the box, but he couldn’t find the back of the wide open net.
Morrow and Toronto FC battled to a 3-2 win over the Columbus Crew last weekend. Stationed at his left outside back position, Morrow helped push the offensive attack down the left flank all match, leading to a series of goals for Toronto.
The Chicago Fire struck first against the star-studded LA Galaxy squad, before finishing the match in a draw, 1-1. Shipp, may not have tallied a mark on the box score, but his stellar passing and through balls helped set up the lone Fire goal on the night on a Penalty Kick.
Finley checked took the field for Chivas USA in the 68th-minute of last weekend’s contest against the Philadelphia Union. This marked a string of three-straight matches in which Finley has seen game action.
Check back next week for the next edition of #IrishInTheMLS
- W. Volleyball. Irish Open Season Against Elite Competition In Minnesota
- W. Basketball. From The Hardwood: Irish Earning Awards In WNBA
- W. Soccer. Fighting Irish Fight for Life
- Football. Fabulous Forties Finale
- General News. Navy, Army and Air Force ROTC programs to be honored in conjunction with Saturday's Notre Dame-Rice football game
- Football. For the Love of Notre Dame
- Football. Fabulous Forties Finale
- W. Soccer. #11/10 Irish, #16/12 Texas Tech Square Off On Friday
- M. Ice Hockey. NBC Sports Group To Broadcast 20 University of Notre Dame Hockey Games In 2014-15
- Track. Notre Dame Welcomes Strong Freshman Class
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- You asked for it, we've got it! @ProudtobeND COUNTRIES! Here are the Facebook cover photos- ntrda.me/ProudToBeNDCou… #WeAreND 15 minutes ago
- Keep sending us and @GameDayND your #GreenFriday pics! #GoIrish 28 minutes ago
- RT @ColleenFerreira: Reporting in green on #9NEWS this morning to support my @FightingIrish football team! @NotreDame always has my heart 30 minutes ago
- RT @bhaydon5: Yo @gamedayND, been doing #greentiefriday for a couple years! @FightingIrish @NDFootball cc @IrishMoonJ http://t.co/otpED8D1ze 31 minutes ago
- Notre Dame Athletics In The News - eepurl.com/149-1 39 minutes ago