Jan 21, 2012, 7:47 PM EST
The magic at Purcell continues. Syracuse joins the list with North Carolina, DePaul, Marquette, San Francisco and UCLA. For the sixth consecutive time, and first in nearly 25 years, a #1 team arrives at the Purcell Pavilion and leaves with a loss.
Jumping out to an early 11-2 advantage, the Fighting Irish led from the beginning and never looked back. Tonight’s win is the eighth in program history over an opponent ranked first in the Associated Press Poll.
The last win came on Feb. 1, 1987, when the top ranked North Carolina Tar Heels visited South Bend and lost to Digger Phelps Irish team, 60-58. But enough with stats and history…
As a student, I was fortunate to see several exciting games, but I’ve never seen anything like what we were privileged to witness tonight. From the opening tip-off, the faithful Leprechaun Legion treated every Irish basket like it was a game-winning buzzer beater. And it was Jack Cooley’s two-handed slam in the second half that seemed to provide the assurance that on this evening, South Bend was destined to be Upset City.
Tonight, was a perfect example of the beauty of sports and how anything can happen on any given night. The 2011-12 Notre Dame men’s basketball team proved that it can play with the best of them.
Overall, just an incredible night for the team, fans and students. I have no doubt that Jan. 21, 2012 is a night that will be talked about when the current classes of students celebrate their respective 30- or 40-year Notre Dame reunions.
Right now, I’m still trying to process/soak in what just happened. We’ll have plenty of coverage coming on UND.com later this weekend on Notre Dame’s upset at Purcell. Keep an eye out for the latest Irish Connection, which is sure to feature some more great footage from the post-game scene on the court, but for now, I’ll leave you with this video, from my perspective on the court.
Update: The videos below are Fighting Irish Digital Media’s coverage of the game.
- M. Ice Hockey. No. 18 Irish To Host The Sixth Installment of the Shillelagh Tournament
- Softball. January Softball Instructional Sessions To Be Offered
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Looks To Build Towards 2016 During Final Weekend
- W. Basketball. #3 Irish Ball In Bahamas Over Thanksgiving
- Football. Brian Kelly Weekly Media Conference Transcript - vs. Stanford
- M. Basketball. Carrying On A Legacy
- Football. #4 Irish Aim to Improve to 11-1 on Saturday
- Cross Country. Seidel Named USTFCCCA National Athlete of the Year
- M. Soccer. Soccer Quartet Secures Academic All-America Honors
- W. Soccer. Soccer Quartet Secures Academic All-America Honors
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☀️ SOAK UP THE SUN 😎 🏀 #3 @ndwbb to play in the Bahamas over Thanksgiving READ: und.com/sports/w-baskb… https://t.co/T6UKcajaZc 2 hours ago
- 🍀BLACK FRIDAY SALE Up to 50% off tix for 🏀@ndwbb 🏒@NDHockey 🔥@NDmbb 11/25-11/30 TIX: ev12.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncomme… https://t.co/Jty8o5wkgQ 4 hours ago
- 🎤 ND STREET SMARTS We took to the streets of Boston to find fans who know their @NDFootball trivia amp.twimg.com/v/abbff793-4e8… 9 hours ago
- 🍀 SHAMROCK SERIES VICTORY See behind the scenes of @NDFootball vs BC in ICON WATCH: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/Nva3… https://t.co/MXyoDzpRY7 10 hours ago
- 🏈 FENWAY BATTLE See how @NDFootball fought for each other vs BC in this week's ICON WATCH: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/Nva3… https://t.co/y2OHKjmAns 1 day ago