Feb 13, 2012, 3:21 PM EDT
It was a big weekend in the pool for Notre Dame freshman Nick Nemetz. The Ann Arbor, Mich. native took home a pair of titles at the BIG EAST Conference Diving Championships, winning the 1-meter and 3-meter events at the University of Pittsburgh’s Trees Pool.
Nemetz won his first career collegiate title on Friday evening, by posting a 325.15 in the 3-meter event. He became the third consecutive Irish diver to win the event, following on the heels of Nathan Geary in 2011 and Wes Villafor in 2010. Nemetz also became the first freshman diver in Notre Dame history to win a league title.
But Friday was just the beginning. Nemetz followed up his impressive 3-meter performance by winning the 1-meter event on Saturday. He scored 322.30 points and became the second Notre Dame diver to sweep the pair of events at the BIG EAST Championships (a feat that Villafor accomplished in 2010).
Irish diving coach Caiming Xie was also named BIG EAST Men’s Diving Coach of the Year.
The event resumes on Wednesday, when the swimmers hit the pool in the Steel City. With 129 points, the Notre Dame men’s team currently holds a comfortable lead over second-place Pittsburgh (72 points) and third-place West Virginia (46 points).
- M. Soccer. #9 Irish Stymie New Mexico 1-0, Claim Berticelli Tourney
- M. Soccer. Notre Dame-New Mexico Men's Soccer Match Postponed Until 6 P.M. (ET)
- W. Soccer. Western Michigan Match Postponed Due To Lightning
- Football. Sunday Brunch: 20 Questions on Notre Dame Football 2016
- W. Soccer. What To Watch For: Western Michigan
- W. Volleyball. Irish Sweep Broncos, Off To Best Start In Five Years
- W. Volleyball. Sweep Of Cleveland State Sends Irish To 2-0
- W. Rowing. Shamrock Sister Helps U.S. To Silver Medal
- M. Soccer. #9 Irish Utilize Strong Attack With Opening Clean Sheet Against UC Irvine
- W. Volleyball. Irish Score Season-Opening Sweep Over Seton Hall
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.