Feb 13, 2012, 3:21 PM EST
It was a big weekend in the pool for Notre Dame freshman Nick Nemetz. The Ann Arbor, Mich. native took home a pair of titles at the BIG EAST Conference Diving Championships, winning the 1-meter and 3-meter events at the University of Pittsburgh’s Trees Pool.
Nemetz won his first career collegiate title on Friday evening, by posting a 325.15 in the 3-meter event. He became the third consecutive Irish diver to win the event, following on the heels of Nathan Geary in 2011 and Wes Villafor in 2010. Nemetz also became the first freshman diver in Notre Dame history to win a league title.
But Friday was just the beginning. Nemetz followed up his impressive 3-meter performance by winning the 1-meter event on Saturday. He scored 322.30 points and became the second Notre Dame diver to sweep the pair of events at the BIG EAST Championships (a feat that Villafor accomplished in 2010).
Irish diving coach Caiming Xie was also named BIG EAST Men’s Diving Coach of the Year.
The event resumes on Wednesday, when the swimmers hit the pool in the Steel City. With 129 points, the Notre Dame men’s team currently holds a comfortable lead over second-place Pittsburgh (72 points) and third-place West Virginia (46 points).
- M. Basketball. Irish Equal Best Start Under Brey with Victory Over Aggies
- W. Basketball. Irish Offense Explodes In 114-54 Victory Over Crusaders
- Football. Sunday Brunch: Alongside Jim and Dan
- M. Ice Hockey. Evans Helps Lead Irish To Shutout Win At UMass
- Football. KELLY CARES FOUNDATION, MEIJER, PAPA VINO’S, NOTRE DAME FOOTBALL
- Track. Notre Dame Tallies 12 Wins In Opening Meet
- W. Basketball. Niele Ivey Joins Ring of Honor Sunday
- M. Ice Hockey. Four Goal Third Not Enough As Irish Edged At UMass 5-4
- W. Basketball. Valparaiso on Sunday Next Obstacle For #1 Irish
- M. Basketball. North Carolina A&T Preview - Five Things To Know
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.