Feb 16, 2012, 9:09 AM EDT
Junior Jenny Chiang continued her dominance off the 3-meter springboard last Saturday when she took home the gold medal for the Irish for the third straight season. Chiang totaled 320.90 points over the course of six dives to win the title.
Chiang became the first-ever Irish diver to win three titles off the 3-meter board at the conference meet. In fact, she is only the seventh athlete – and second diver – in program history to win three titles in the same events at the BIG EAST Championships. Meghan Perry-Eaton won the 1-meter title from 2003-05.
Looking towards next season, only Kelly Hecking has won four titles in the same event (the 100 back from 1999-2002) at the conference stage. Chiang is truly on the brink of Irish history as she tries to become the first Irish diver to win four titles in the same event.
Additionally, not only did Chiang prolong her own streak of consecutive 3-meter BIG EAST titles, but with her victory, the Notre Dame diving program has now won the last five 3-meter titles at the league meet.
The dominance of Irish diving program traces back to veteran coach Caiming Xie, who is a six-time BIG EAST Diving Coach of the Year. Caiming, who is in his 16th year at the University, has led four Irish divers to the NCAAs, including four-time participant Heather Mattingly and three-time participant Meghan Perry-Eaton. Under Caiming’s tutelage, Chiang hopes to become the fifth member of that select group.
- W. Soccer. Irish Complete Sweep Through Florida With 2-1 Win Over Miami
- Football. Irish Bring Home Shillelagh in Emphatic 49-14 Win
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Advances At ITA Midwest Regional Championships
- Football. Championship Road Runs Through South Bend
- W. Rowing. Club Four Finishes Eighth At Head Of The Charles
- W. Soccer. Irish Continue Road Swing at Miami
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish, #15 Duke Battle To Scoreless Draw
- M. Ice Hockey. #5/6 Irish Rebound With 3-1 Victory Over Sacred Heart
- W. Volleyball. Yeadon's 24 Kills Powers Irish Past Florida State
- M. Tennis. Howells, Lebedev Into Doubles Quarterfinal At ITA Midwest Regionals
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- No. 1️⃣3️⃣ @NDFootball's win vs. USC is the largest win against a top-20 team since 1992. #GoIrish und.com/sports/m-footb… 29 minutes ago
- Junior @NDMensTennis player Alex Lebedev advanced at the ITA Midwest Regional Championships. #GoIrish und.com/sports/m-tenni… 2 hours ago
- The Irish look for their third win in the last four matches as @NDSoccer takes on Miami. #GoIrish und.com/sports/w-socce… 3 hours ago
- The Shillelagh is home and @NDFootball alum @thejaylonsmith knows it. #GoIrish https://t.co/88eO6JwLXd 4 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: We're just getting started. #GoIrish https://t.co/5DSBB4LB8w 5 hours ago