Feb 16, 2012, 9:09 AM EST
Junior Jenny Chiang continued her dominance off the 3-meter springboard last Saturday when she took home the gold medal for the Irish for the third straight season. Chiang totaled 320.90 points over the course of six dives to win the title.
Chiang became the first-ever Irish diver to win three titles off the 3-meter board at the conference meet. In fact, she is only the seventh athlete – and second diver – in program history to win three titles in the same events at the BIG EAST Championships. Meghan Perry-Eaton won the 1-meter title from 2003-05.
Looking towards next season, only Kelly Hecking has won four titles in the same event (the 100 back from 1999-2002) at the conference stage. Chiang is truly on the brink of Irish history as she tries to become the first Irish diver to win four titles in the same event.
Additionally, not only did Chiang prolong her own streak of consecutive 3-meter BIG EAST titles, but with her victory, the Notre Dame diving program has now won the last five 3-meter titles at the league meet.
The dominance of Irish diving program traces back to veteran coach Caiming Xie, who is a six-time BIG EAST Diving Coach of the Year. Caiming, who is in his 16th year at the University, has led four Irish divers to the NCAAs, including four-time participant Heather Mattingly and three-time participant Meghan Perry-Eaton. Under Caiming’s tutelage, Chiang hopes to become the fifth member of that select group.
- W. Basketball. No. 2 Irish Renew Border Battle with (-/RV) DePaul
- W. Soccer. A Look Back: 2017 Top Moments
- General News. Irish Student-Athletes Celebrate 21st Annual Pediatric Christmas Party
- M. Basketball. #Breyteen - Irish Outlast Butler In Overtime Thriller
- W. Basketball. Three Former Irish Named to 2017-20 USA National Team Pool
- W. Soccer. Yu Named Scholar All-American
- Football. Mike McGlinchey Named 101st Consensus All-American In School History
- M. Lacrosse. Notre Dame Announces Details For Annual NDLaxTV National Coaching Clinic
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Indiana - Five Things To Know
- Football. Quenton Nelson Named 34th Unanimous All-American In School History
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ✅ 7️⃣ games with over 💯 rush yards ✅ 9️⃣ TDs ✅ 8️⃣5️⃣-yard TD vs. USC @NDFootball's Josh Adams was named the Of… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- Time to hoop with the Hoosiers. The #CrossroadsClassic tips off at 2:30 p.m. ET when @NDmbb faces Indiana. 📺 FOX… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- And the winner is... Check out all the award 🏆 winners from @NDFootball's annual awards show, Echoes. ⤵️… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- Out with the old. Tumbling in with the new. Send a volley cheer on high because @NDCheerTeam's new uniforms will… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 hours ago
- Welcome to Indiana basketball. @NDmbb heads to Indianapolis to take on the rival Hoosiers at 2:30 p.m. ET for the… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 hours ago