Feb 24, 2012, 11:15 PM EST
In front of a sellout crowd at Compton Family Ice Arena, Notre Dame got an important 2-0 victory over Michigan State in its second-to-last game of the regular season.
After a scoreless first period, sophomore Jeff Costello netted his fourth goal of the season, giving the Fighting Irish a 1-0 lead, 2:31 into the second frame. Sophomore Shayne Taker and freshman Austin Wuthrich were credited with assists on the power play score.
Just before the midpoint of the final period, freshman Peter Schneider scored his first goal of the season, on an assist from junior Kevin Nugent. The insurance goal gave Notre Dame a 2-0 advantage, and sealed the team’s first win since Feb 3. (The Irish had lost five straight since defeating Bowling Green, 2-1, three weeks ago.)
Sophomore Steven Summerhays stopped 25 shots, becoming the first Notre Dame goalie to record a shutout since Dec. 13, 2009, when Mike Johnson registered 38 saves against Michigan.
Kickoff in Dublin is months away, but for the second time in three days, several members of the Notre Dame football team were making headlines. On Saturdays in the fall, they may reach a celebrity status, playing in front of 80,795 and millions more on national television. But this week, the Irish football players themselves were the ones in the crowd, reminding us that at the end of the day, they’re students and fans, just like the rest of us.
After being courtside at Purcell Pavilion for the men’s basketball game on Wednesday, Kapron Lewis-Moore, Mike Golic Jr., Matt Mulvey and Mike Grieco were right against the glass cheering on their fellow student-athletes.
Sporting the same floppy hat that intimidated the Mountaineers earlier in the week, Lewis-Moore may have also earned himself a spot on the Notre Dame cheerleading squad. The senior defensive end raised a big yellow “Go Irish!” sign and rallied the Notre Dame student body throughout the evening.
Golic, Grieco and Mulvey, along with a few other football players, were into the game from the opening faceoff, even bringing along some homemade signs to show their support for the Irish icers.
A big win for Irish hockey, a great night at Compton, and an awesome reminder of what makes Notre Dame a special university.
The Fighting Irish will be back tomorrow night against the Spartans at 7:35 pm ET for the regular season finale. Catch the game on Comcast Channel 3, as Notre Dame looks to clinch home ice for the first round of the CCHA playoffs.
- Football. One Shirt One Body: Maybe Robinson’s Best Act Yet
- M. Basketball. Irish Return Home To Face #13 Cardinals
- General News. Molly Seidel Tabbed ACC Women's Cross Country Scholar-Athlete of the Year
- Cross Country. Molly Seidel Tabbed ACC Women’s Cross Country Scholar-Athlete of the Year
- W. Volleyball. Molly Seidel Tabbed ACC Women’s Cross Country Scholar-Athlete of the Year
- W. Soccer. Molly Seidel Tabbed ACC Women’s Cross Country Scholar-Athlete of the Year
- M. Soccer. Molly Seidel Tabbed ACC Women’s Cross Country Scholar-Athlete of the Year
- Monogram Club. Strong Of Heart Archives: Pat Garrity
- W. Tennis. Irish Insights: Pittsburgh & Michigan
- M. Swimming. Irish To Compete at Michigan First Chance Meet
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- DID YOU KNOW? @NDFencing has... 8 NCAA Team Titles 31 Individual Gold Medals 292 All-America Honors #NDFacts https://t.co/QyDR33uQZN 15 hours ago
- 🏀 #1 UNC | 2016 🏀 #11 LOUISVILLE | 2013 🏀 #1 SYRACUSE | 2012 Take a look back at some of @NDmbb's biggest games. amp.twimg.com/v/c471fc66-c3c… 22 hours ago
- NEW TEAM NEW SEASON Meet @NDFootball's newest recruits from Signing Day 2016. amp.twimg.com/v/3e21a39d-754… 1 day ago
- DID YOU KNOW? Since the team's 1st season in 1997, @NDWomensLax has advanced to the NCAA tournament 10 times. https://t.co/bSh7S4YA6y 1 day ago
- ⏱ 60 Seconds 🏀17 Questions Get to know Zach Auguste on Inside @NDmbb. WATCH: UND.com/breytvshow amp.twimg.com/v/a83c489b-d16… 2 days ago