Mar 20, 2012, 4:47 PM EST
No, I’m not talking about The Masters.
But rather, the Notre Dame women’s basketball and the post-season fashion of the Fighting Irish.
On St. Patrick’s Day 1997, head coach Muffet McGraw’s team took on Texas in a second round NCAA tournament contest. In the spirit of the holiday, the Fighting Irish painted their nails green before the game. Notre Dame defeated Texas, 86-83, and after advancing to their first Final Four with two more victories, the green polish became a tournament staple.
The male travel party members, such as associate head coach Jonathan Tsipis show their solidarity by painting their left pinky finger green. Coach Tsipis has also been known to shave his head for the tournament.
The March Madness traditions however, do not stop with the nail polish. Though not exclusive to the tournament, Notre Dame’s kelly green road uniforms most often appear during the postseason. The Fighting Irish sported the alternate unis in last year’s Final Four in Indianapolis.
During Sunday’s first round game against Liberty, Notre Dame broke out its alternate home white jerseys with green trim, as well as green shoes. The Irish are 6-1 in those uniforms, which they will presumably also wear tonight against California.
The Fighting Irish take on the eighth-seeded Golden Bears tonight in the Purcell Pavilion at 7:20 pm ET. Catch the game on ESPN2 or if you can, make the trip to campus as Notre Dame looks to punch a ticket to Raleigh.
- M. Soccer. Sunday Brunch: The Riley Era-Long Time in the Making
- Swimming & Diving. #22 Irish Complete ACC Sweep At #20/25 FSU
- M. Basketball. Mooney's Career Day Not Enough In Loss At Clemson
- Track & Field. Shead, Irish race to top-three finishes at Notre Dame Invitational
- Fencing. Irish Fencers Find Success At St. John's Invitational
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish Look to Carry Momentum into Clemson Game Sunday
- M. Ice Hockey. Replay: Irish Hockey Rolls On
- M. Ice Hockey. #1 Irish Down #18 Wisconsin 4-2 For 16th Straight Win
- Swimming & Diving. #22 Irish In Control After Day 1 At #20/25 FSU
- M. Tennis. Irish Romp In 6-1 Victory Over Spartans
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- The nation's top-ranked hockey team, @NDHockey, faces Wisconsin, Sunday at 3 p.m. ET at Chicago's @UnitedCenter.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 11 minutes ago
- In its first game since downing No. 6 Tennessee, No. 5 @ndwbb closes out a three-game homestand with Clemson, Sunda… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 50 minutes ago
- "It's a big venue and a big situation." No. 1 @NDHockey and its program-best 16-game winning streak heads north to… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- The last time @ndwbb hit the court, the No. 5 Irish battled back for a W against No. 6 Tennessee in the fifth best… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- A hug is worth a thousand words. 📸: @ndwbb #NationalHuggingDay #GoIrish https://t.co/Wr0QrMAFag 5 hours ago