Apr 14, 2012, 12:35 PM EDT
It was all Orange this afternoon at Melissa Cook Stadium. And that’s not to say Syracuse got a big victory. In fact, it was Notre Dame that emerged with a 4-3 win in the first game of a BIG EAST conference doubleheader.
Orange was the color of the afternoon because Syracuse was decked out in it from head to toe, but also because the Fighting Irish uniforms were accented with orange for leukemia awareness.
Notre Dame held its second annual Strike Out Cancer event to help raise money for the South Bend Memorial Hospital Pediatric Hematology / Oncology Program.
Pediatric leukemia is a disease that has closely affected Irish softball, as head coach Deanna Gumpf’s daughter, Tatum, was diagnosed in 2010. Now six years old, Tatum is on her way to a full recovery.
Among the activities at this afternoon’s event were balloon animals, facepainting, and a silent auction.
Some of the items being auctioned off include two pre-game sideline passes and game tickets for Notre Dame football game against Michigan, replica commemorative Strike Out Cancer jerseys and game-worn commemorative helmets and gloves.
After trailing for much of the game, the Fighting Irish tied the score in the bottom of the sixth on a solo home run from Katey Haus, before walking off with a win in the seventh when Kelsey Thornton scored from third on a wild pitch.
Notre Dame and Syracuse return to the field in a few minutes for the second game of the afternoon.
- W. Soccer. Irish, ACC Release Expanded Broadcast Schedule
- M. Golf. Irish Earn A 2015 GCAA Team Academic Award
- Monogram Club. First Person: Danielle Green's ESPY Moment
- W. Basketball. First Person: Danielle Greenâ€™s ESPY Moment
- M. Soccer. Abundance Of Soccer On Air
- Baseball. Cavan Biggio Named A Cape Cod League All-Star
- W. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: Patberg Found Promise In USA Debut
- M. Soccer. Hodan Tabbed To U.S. U-23 MNT ID Camp Roster
- Fencing. Kiefer, Meinhardt Provide Summer Highlights
- Softball. Top Instruction At Softball Academies
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RANDOM THOUGHT: The incoming class of Freshmen have lived in a World where @ndwbb ALWAYS makes the NCAA Tourney. twitter.com/ndwbb/status/6… 43 minutes ago
- "She Ran UP the Mountain!" Wonder what @NDSportsBlogger meant when she said that? FIND OUT: fightingirish.tumblr.com/post/125444543… http://t.co/6KYHwl5IYP 6 hours ago
- 🏈11th in the Country. 37 days until the @NDFootball Journey Begins. http://t.co/nEVur0ZaP7 9 hours ago
- 💯💯💯💯. @NotreDameRowing & @NotreDame should be so proud. twitter.com/ncaa/status/62… 10 hours ago
- DID YOU KNOW: @NDFootball is one of just 3 schools to have NEVER played an FCS (formerly 1-AA) level school. 🏈🍀#FACT http://t.co/Ud3jII7xJ0 11 hours ago