Apr 14, 2012, 12:35 PM EDT
It was all Orange this afternoon at Melissa Cook Stadium. And that’s not to say Syracuse got a big victory. In fact, it was Notre Dame that emerged with a 4-3 win in the first game of a BIG EAST conference doubleheader.
Orange was the color of the afternoon because Syracuse was decked out in it from head to toe, but also because the Fighting Irish uniforms were accented with orange for leukemia awareness.
Notre Dame held its second annual Strike Out Cancer event to help raise money for the South Bend Memorial Hospital Pediatric Hematology / Oncology Program.
Pediatric leukemia is a disease that has closely affected Irish softball, as head coach Deanna Gumpf’s daughter, Tatum, was diagnosed in 2010. Now six years old, Tatum is on her way to a full recovery.
Among the activities at this afternoon’s event were balloon animals, facepainting, and a silent auction.
Some of the items being auctioned off include two pre-game sideline passes and game tickets for Notre Dame football game against Michigan, replica commemorative Strike Out Cancer jerseys and game-worn commemorative helmets and gloves.
After trailing for much of the game, the Fighting Irish tied the score in the bottom of the sixth on a solo home run from Katey Haus, before walking off with a win in the seventh when Kelsey Thornton scored from third on a wild pitch.
Notre Dame and Syracuse return to the field in a few minutes for the second game of the afternoon.
- M. Soccer. Irish Soccer On The Air Throughout 2016
- W. Volleyball. No Limits As Irish Embark Upon 2016
- W. Soccer. #12 Irish Fall To Wolverines 2-0
- M. Soccer. #9 Irish Begin New Season With Berticelli Memorial Tournament
- M. Ice Hockey. Holmberg And Novak Added To Hockey Roster
- Monogram Club. Justice Alan Page To Receive Monogram Club's Moose Krause Award
- W. Rowing. Shamrock Sisters Are Top 10 At World Championship
- W. Soccer. What To Watch For: Michigan
- W. Lacrosse. Eleven Freshmen Bring Versatility and Depth
- W. Soccer. Ten Questions: Kaela Little
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.