Apr 14, 2012, 12:35 PM EST
It was all Orange this afternoon at Melissa Cook Stadium. And that’s not to say Syracuse got a big victory. In fact, it was Notre Dame that emerged with a 4-3 win in the first game of a BIG EAST conference doubleheader.
Orange was the color of the afternoon because Syracuse was decked out in it from head to toe, but also because the Fighting Irish uniforms were accented with orange for leukemia awareness.
Notre Dame held its second annual Strike Out Cancer event to help raise money for the South Bend Memorial Hospital Pediatric Hematology / Oncology Program.
Pediatric leukemia is a disease that has closely affected Irish softball, as head coach Deanna Gumpf’s daughter, Tatum, was diagnosed in 2010. Now six years old, Tatum is on her way to a full recovery.
Among the activities at this afternoon’s event were balloon animals, facepainting, and a silent auction.
Some of the items being auctioned off include two pre-game sideline passes and game tickets for Notre Dame football game against Michigan, replica commemorative Strike Out Cancer jerseys and game-worn commemorative helmets and gloves.
After trailing for much of the game, the Fighting Irish tied the score in the bottom of the sixth on a solo home run from Katey Haus, before walking off with a win in the seventh when Kelsey Thornton scored from third on a wild pitch.
Notre Dame and Syracuse return to the field in a few minutes for the second game of the afternoon.
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Comes Up Short Against Hurricanes, 77-74
- Baseball. Gilgenbach Garners ACC Co-Player of the Week Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Michigan Holds On For 1-0 Victory Over Notre Dame
- W. Tennis. Irish Sweep To Doubleheader Victories Over Indiana, Wright State
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Miami - Five Things To Know
- Baseball. Gilgenbach's Two-Homer Day Takes Series At No. 9 LSU
- M. Tennis. #22 Irish Drop 4-3 Heartbreaker To #20 Blue Devils
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish Wrap Last Road Game with 89-55 Win at Boston College
- W. Lacrosse. No. 16 Notre Dame blows by Stetson, 21-7
- Softball. #RV Irish Go 3-1 Versus #14 Minny, #20 UM At B1G/ACC
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- No. 5 @ndwbb brought home a win from its final road trip of the year. Take a behind-the-scenes look 👀 at the Iris… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 8 hours ago
- ✌️ #Gilgenbombs = ☝️ ACC Co-Player of the Week award for Gilgenbach! @NDBaseball's Eric Gilgenbach hit two home ru… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 9 hours ago
- Matt Farrell’s ready and so are the Irish. Catch @NDmbb vs. Miami, LIVE on #BigMonday at 7 p.m. ET on ESPN.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 11 hours ago
- #BigMonday is back! After @NDmbb beat Boston College on the road, the Irish return home to take on Monday at 7 p.m… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 11 hours ago
- We couldn't let #PresidentsDay pass without honoring one of our all-time great alumni, President Jed Bartlet.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 12 hours ago