Apr 14, 2012, 12:35 PM EDT
It was all Orange this afternoon at Melissa Cook Stadium. And that’s not to say Syracuse got a big victory. In fact, it was Notre Dame that emerged with a 4-3 win in the first game of a BIG EAST conference doubleheader.
Orange was the color of the afternoon because Syracuse was decked out in it from head to toe, but also because the Fighting Irish uniforms were accented with orange for leukemia awareness.
Notre Dame held its second annual Strike Out Cancer event to help raise money for the South Bend Memorial Hospital Pediatric Hematology / Oncology Program.
Pediatric leukemia is a disease that has closely affected Irish softball, as head coach Deanna Gumpf’s daughter, Tatum, was diagnosed in 2010. Now six years old, Tatum is on her way to a full recovery.
Among the activities at this afternoon’s event were balloon animals, facepainting, and a silent auction.
Some of the items being auctioned off include two pre-game sideline passes and game tickets for Notre Dame football game against Michigan, replica commemorative Strike Out Cancer jerseys and game-worn commemorative helmets and gloves.
After trailing for much of the game, the Fighting Irish tied the score in the bottom of the sixth on a solo home run from Katey Haus, before walking off with a win in the seventh when Kelsey Thornton scored from third on a wild pitch.
Notre Dame and Syracuse return to the field in a few minutes for the second game of the afternoon.
- Football. Irish Extra: Football 101
- Track. Irish Named To All-ACC Academic Track & Field Teams
- Baseball. Seven Baseball Standouts Earn All-ACC Academic Team Honors
- W. Basketball. Niele Ivey Promoted To Associate Womenâ€™s Basketball Coach
- W. Rowing. Kottkamp Top ACC Scholar-Athlete For Second Straight Year
- Track. Irish Alums Wrap Weekend At USATF Championships
- M. Ice Hockey. Fischer, Gilbert Taken in NHL Draft
- W. Basketball. Ali Patberg Added To USA Basketball U19 World Championship Team
- Monogram Club. Molly Huddle ('06, track) Captures 10,000-Meter U.S. Title
- Monogram Club. Maddie Buttinger (â€™12, track) Wins Canadian Heptathlon Title At IAAF World Combined Event Capital Cup Challenge
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Not a bad week for @NDmbb's Jerian Grant. 🏀NBA 1st Round Pick 🍀@ESPYS Best Play Nominee What's Next? #NDinNBA twitter.com/ndmbb/status/6… 19 hours ago
- 🏈2 @NDFootball Alums ⛳️2 ND Golf Coaches 1 Great Cause 🚴@NDscience's Road To Discovery ended at Pebble Beach #NPC http://t.co/3tPefytlRl 1 day ago
- 2 sports. 4 draft picks. Solid week for @NDmbb & @NDHockey. Congrats, Jerian, Pat, Christian & Dennis! http://t.co/rvNqryylrc 2 days ago
- Oh What A Night! 🏀@NDmbb has two selected in @NBADraft. Congrats, Jerian and Pat. #NDinNBA http://t.co/TVHL6eul9T 4 days ago
- Turn to ESPN right now. #NDinNBA twitter.com/ndmikebrey/sta… 4 days ago