Apr 14, 2012, 12:35 PM EDT
It was all Orange this afternoon at Melissa Cook Stadium. And that’s not to say Syracuse got a big victory. In fact, it was Notre Dame that emerged with a 4-3 win in the first game of a BIG EAST conference doubleheader.
Orange was the color of the afternoon because Syracuse was decked out in it from head to toe, but also because the Fighting Irish uniforms were accented with orange for leukemia awareness.
Notre Dame held its second annual Strike Out Cancer event to help raise money for the South Bend Memorial Hospital Pediatric Hematology / Oncology Program.
Pediatric leukemia is a disease that has closely affected Irish softball, as head coach Deanna Gumpf’s daughter, Tatum, was diagnosed in 2010. Now six years old, Tatum is on her way to a full recovery.
Among the activities at this afternoon’s event were balloon animals, facepainting, and a silent auction.
Some of the items being auctioned off include two pre-game sideline passes and game tickets for Notre Dame football game against Michigan, replica commemorative Strike Out Cancer jerseys and game-worn commemorative helmets and gloves.
After trailing for much of the game, the Fighting Irish tied the score in the bottom of the sixth on a solo home run from Katey Haus, before walking off with a win in the seventh when Kelsey Thornton scored from third on a wild pitch.
Notre Dame and Syracuse return to the field in a few minutes for the second game of the afternoon.
- Track. Irish Strong On First Day At NCAA East Preliminary
- Baseball. Irish In Champaign For First NCAA Regional In Nine Years
- W. Rowing. Kottkamp Repeats As NCAA Elite 89 Award Winner
- W. Rowing. #16 Irish Out West For NCAA Rowing Championship
- Baseball. Irish Extra: Cristian Torres Is More Than Meets The Eye
- Softball. Koerner Earns Irish Record Third All-America Honor
- General News. Notre Dame Athletics Leads the Way in NCAA APR Four-Year Numbers
- Track. Irish Geared For NCAA East Preliminary Championship
- W. Basketball. Irish Host Ohio State In Big Ten/ACC Women's Basketball Challenge
- Fencing. I Am Strong, If You Are Strong: A Tribute to Billy Meckling
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🏆 Time? Will Barbara Sullivan or Matt Kavanagh bring home Lacrosse's highest honor, The Tewaaraton Award, tonight? http://t.co/hKaFC44Jdj 16 hours ago
- Notre Dame is truly an International University. Our Student-Athletes travel the globe to spread our 5 pillars. http://t.co/dFR3VIJREn 19 hours ago
- ⚽️MISHU MAKES HIS DEBUT⚽️ @NDMenSoccer alum Luke Mishu set to make @MLS debut with @dcunited as part of Starting XI. http://t.co/5YX8xDCqCk 1 day ago
- Proud to stand with our partner, Bank of America, in support of @SpecialOlympics. #PassTheFlame #UnifiedRelay twitter.com/bofa_community… 1 day ago
- A border rivalry in the making ... twitter.com/ndwbb/status/6… 1 day ago