Apr 14, 2012, 12:35 PM EDT
It was all Orange this afternoon at Melissa Cook Stadium. And that’s not to say Syracuse got a big victory. In fact, it was Notre Dame that emerged with a 4-3 win in the first game of a BIG EAST conference doubleheader.
Orange was the color of the afternoon because Syracuse was decked out in it from head to toe, but also because the Fighting Irish uniforms were accented with orange for leukemia awareness.
Notre Dame held its second annual Strike Out Cancer event to help raise money for the South Bend Memorial Hospital Pediatric Hematology / Oncology Program.
Pediatric leukemia is a disease that has closely affected Irish softball, as head coach Deanna Gumpf’s daughter, Tatum, was diagnosed in 2010. Now six years old, Tatum is on her way to a full recovery.
Among the activities at this afternoon’s event were balloon animals, facepainting, and a silent auction.
Some of the items being auctioned off include two pre-game sideline passes and game tickets for Notre Dame football game against Michigan, replica commemorative Strike Out Cancer jerseys and game-worn commemorative helmets and gloves.
After trailing for much of the game, the Fighting Irish tied the score in the bottom of the sixth on a solo home run from Katey Haus, before walking off with a win in the seventh when Kelsey Thornton scored from third on a wild pitch.
Notre Dame and Syracuse return to the field in a few minutes for the second game of the afternoon.
- W. Basketball. Allen Named to Nancy Lieberman Award Watch List
- W. Tennis. Robinson, Broda Advance To Doubles Final At ITA Regional
- M. Tennis. Irish Doubles Pairs Fall In ITA Midwest Regional Championship Semifinals
- W. Volleyball. Irish Push Win Streak to Three With Sweep of Hokies
- W. Rowing. Rowing Wraps Up Head of the Charles
- W. Soccer. Late Goal Lifts #14 Irish To 1-0 Victory Over Wake Forest
- W. Tennis. Irish Keep Rolling At ITA, IU Regionals
- W. Soccer. What To Watch For: Wake Forest
- M. Ice Hockey. #3/4 Irish Fall in Overtime to Penn State
- M. Tennis. Irish Play Into Quarterfinal Rounds At ITA Regional
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: In 4 years at Notre Dame @NDXCTF's Molly Seidel won 4 @NCAA titles. She's not done. Hear Molly's story going into her… 1 hour ago
- ☘️ND Moves to 9-1 in ACC Play @NDVolleyball continues to improve its best ACC record w/ 3-0 win vs Virginia Tech.… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 20 hours ago
- ⚽️ FINAL #14 @NDSoccer 1 | Wake Forest 0 See JR @MeganMcCashland's goal that led ND to an ACC win over Wake Fores… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 1 day ago
- ⚽️ @NDMenSoccer returns to defend home turf. Notre Dame vs. MSU ⏰ Tuesday | 7pm ☘️ Alumni Stadium TIX:… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 1 day ago
- Want the OFFICIAL Game Coin from @NDFootball vs. Stanford? Bid in the Bank of America auction. #BofACoinToss BID… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 1 day ago