Apr 14, 2012, 12:35 PM EDT
It was all Orange this afternoon at Melissa Cook Stadium. And that’s not to say Syracuse got a big victory. In fact, it was Notre Dame that emerged with a 4-3 win in the first game of a BIG EAST conference doubleheader.
Orange was the color of the afternoon because Syracuse was decked out in it from head to toe, but also because the Fighting Irish uniforms were accented with orange for leukemia awareness.
Notre Dame held its second annual Strike Out Cancer event to help raise money for the South Bend Memorial Hospital Pediatric Hematology / Oncology Program.
Pediatric leukemia is a disease that has closely affected Irish softball, as head coach Deanna Gumpf’s daughter, Tatum, was diagnosed in 2010. Now six years old, Tatum is on her way to a full recovery.
Among the activities at this afternoon’s event were balloon animals, facepainting, and a silent auction.
Some of the items being auctioned off include two pre-game sideline passes and game tickets for Notre Dame football game against Michigan, replica commemorative Strike Out Cancer jerseys and game-worn commemorative helmets and gloves.
After trailing for much of the game, the Fighting Irish tied the score in the bottom of the sixth on a solo home run from Katey Haus, before walking off with a win in the seventh when Kelsey Thornton scored from third on a wild pitch.
Notre Dame and Syracuse return to the field in a few minutes for the second game of the afternoon.
- W. Basketball. Rivalry Renewal in Big Ten/ACC Challenge
- Track & Field. Track & Field Lands Seven on All-ACC Academic Team
- Fencing. Kiefer Named Nominee For NCAA Woman of the Year
- M. Lacrosse. Perkovic Named The ACC Men's Lacrosse Scholar Athlete Of The Year
- General News. Join The Notre Dame Fan Council
- W. Lacrosse. Five Named to All-ACC Academic Team
- Softball. Koerner ('15) Turns Page On Legendary Career
- Swimming & Diving. Nineteen Swimmers Head to Nationals
- W. Golf. Albrecht Selected To All-ACC Academic Women's Golf Team
- M. Soccer. Besler, Morrow Named To U.S. Gold Cup Roster
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 GIFs #3 - 5 ND 🏀 players reached 1,000 career pts in 2016-17. B. Colson L. Allen S. Vast… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 hours ago
- 🏈 Countdown to Kickoff: 66 Days Coach Ara Parseghian receives the 1966 NCAA title trophy after leading @NDFootball… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 5 hours ago
- For his perseverance after the loss of his wife, @NDmbb alum Monty Williams received the @NBA Sager Strong Award. https://t.co/l0S0Qt7ur5 6 hours ago
- ☘ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Videos #3-Last year Bonzie Colson led @NDmbb in scoring. He attributes his success to st… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 7 hours ago
- ☘YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Articles #3-@NDHockey 2nd Team All-American Anders Bjork impacts a local 3rd grade class.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 10 hours ago