Apr 14, 2012, 12:35 PM EDT
It was all Orange this afternoon at Melissa Cook Stadium. And that’s not to say Syracuse got a big victory. In fact, it was Notre Dame that emerged with a 4-3 win in the first game of a BIG EAST conference doubleheader.
Orange was the color of the afternoon because Syracuse was decked out in it from head to toe, but also because the Fighting Irish uniforms were accented with orange for leukemia awareness.
Notre Dame held its second annual Strike Out Cancer event to help raise money for the South Bend Memorial Hospital Pediatric Hematology / Oncology Program.
Pediatric leukemia is a disease that has closely affected Irish softball, as head coach Deanna Gumpf’s daughter, Tatum, was diagnosed in 2010. Now six years old, Tatum is on her way to a full recovery.
Among the activities at this afternoon’s event were balloon animals, facepainting, and a silent auction.
Some of the items being auctioned off include two pre-game sideline passes and game tickets for Notre Dame football game against Michigan, replica commemorative Strike Out Cancer jerseys and game-worn commemorative helmets and gloves.
After trailing for much of the game, the Fighting Irish tied the score in the bottom of the sixth on a solo home run from Katey Haus, before walking off with a win in the seventh when Kelsey Thornton scored from third on a wild pitch.
Notre Dame and Syracuse return to the field in a few minutes for the second game of the afternoon.
- Football. Tranquill Named Wuerffel Trophy Nominee
- M. Basketball. Coach Brey Press Conference - October 19, 2017
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish Honor Seniors, Take On #15 Duke Friday
- W. Volleyball. Sunshine State Bound: The Irish Are Set To Play FSU And Miami This Weekend
- Swimming & Diving. Swimming & Diving Welcomes Georgia Tech on Friday
- W. Basketball. Irish Selected as ACC Preseason Favorites Once Again
- Football. Notre Dame-USC Preview: The Unrivaled Rivalry
- M. Lacrosse. NYC Networking Trip Up Next On Notre Dame Lacrosse Fall Experience
- M. Tennis. Irish Set To Compete At ITA Midwest Regional Championships
- W. Basketball. Trio to Represent Irish at ACC Media Day
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- It's never been more dramatic than it is today. On Saturday, @NDFootball & USC showdown for the Shillelagh Trophy… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- "I can't wait to send USC back to LA [...] with a big loss." Mayor @PeteButtigieg is ready for @NDFootball gameday… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- "Any time you get to play SC, especially at our place, it's a special game." Saturday, @NDFootball takes its shot.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 hours ago
- One team, one town -- gameday and every day. Thank you for your service, @SouthBendFire. #GoIrish #BeatTrojans https://t.co/d81wSlXXPu 3 hours ago
- Your weekend ✅list continues with four more stops off the beaten path @NotreDame. #GoIrish https://t.co/issrNnW2OA 4 hours ago