Apr 14, 2012, 12:35 PM EDT
It was all Orange this afternoon at Melissa Cook Stadium. And that’s not to say Syracuse got a big victory. In fact, it was Notre Dame that emerged with a 4-3 win in the first game of a BIG EAST conference doubleheader.
Orange was the color of the afternoon because Syracuse was decked out in it from head to toe, but also because the Fighting Irish uniforms were accented with orange for leukemia awareness.
Notre Dame held its second annual Strike Out Cancer event to help raise money for the South Bend Memorial Hospital Pediatric Hematology / Oncology Program.
Pediatric leukemia is a disease that has closely affected Irish softball, as head coach Deanna Gumpf’s daughter, Tatum, was diagnosed in 2010. Now six years old, Tatum is on her way to a full recovery.
Among the activities at this afternoon’s event were balloon animals, facepainting, and a silent auction.
Some of the items being auctioned off include two pre-game sideline passes and game tickets for Notre Dame football game against Michigan, replica commemorative Strike Out Cancer jerseys and game-worn commemorative helmets and gloves.
After trailing for much of the game, the Fighting Irish tied the score in the bottom of the sixth on a solo home run from Katey Haus, before walking off with a win in the seventh when Kelsey Thornton scored from third on a wild pitch.
Notre Dame and Syracuse return to the field in a few minutes for the second game of the afternoon.
- Baseball. Irish Fall To Demon Deacons, 4-2, In Saturday Matchup
- Track. Irish Wrap Weekend In Iowa, Michigan
- M. Golf. Irish In 11th After 36 At The ACC Championship
- W. Rowing. #RV Irish Finish Third At Dale England Cup
- Softball. Saturday Notre Dame Softball Games Canceled
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Men's Lacrosse: Chasing a Second Straight ACC Crown in Philly
- Track. Irish Solid At Drake, GINA Relays
- Baseball. Youngdahl's Big Night Leads Baseball To 9-5 Win Over Wake Forest
- M. Soccer. Notre Dame Tops Mexico U17s, 2-1, On Aubrey Penalty Kick
- W. Rowing. #RV Irish Win Four Races On First Day Of The Dale England Cup
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.