Jul 25, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Eric is in his third year as the lead writer and co-manager of One Foot Down, the Notre Dame blog on the SB Nation network. A Western New York native, he has spent much of his post-college adult life following and writing about Notre Dame football. Eric’s work has been featured on SI.com, Maple Street Press, and Lindy’s, among others. Since 2009, he has written nearly 500 articles on the topics of Notre Dame and college football, as well as Irish athletics in general.
What is your connection to Notre Dame? (If you are an alum, what dorm did you live in?)
We have always had our hearts at Notre Dame, but neither myself (co-manager) nor our founder attended the university. However, our staff includes two alums from Dillon, two more from Knott Hall, and one who lived in both Morrissey and Keenan.
What got you blogging about Notre Dame?
The love of the school, and the football team were the biggest reasons to start blogging, as was to find a way to create a new place to talk Irish football in the face of the hyper-negativity surrounding the program following the 2008 season.
When did your blog first launch?
January of 2009 saw One Foot Down’s first post. It was once a small independent blog posting an article once every few days but has grown into a one that posts hundreds upon hundreds of articles every year.
Tell us about your blog. Why should Irish fans want to read it?
People should read One Foot Down because there’s a lot of content, the discussion stays fairly rational, and there’s a lot of variety. We focus primarily on Notre Dame football but have recently expanded our coverage to all Irish sports, the only ND blog to consistently shine a light on the Olympic sports. Most of all, people should read the blog and participate in the comment section because the discussions are both critical, yet level-headed, with a welcoming ability for readers to post their own articles to create even more discussion. In short, there’s a little bit of everything for any any Notre Dame fan to enjoy.
What is your favorite thing about game day at Notre Dame?
My favorite part of gameday would be walking in to the stadium for warm ups. I’ve personally written a lot about updating the experience in the stadium, but I do love that pre-game feeling inside the stadium, being able to get close to the field, and watching the players go through their drills knowing a big battle is about to ensue.
- M. Ice Hockey. Notre Dame Hockey Alums Host NHL Youth Clinic
- General News. CoachMePlus Announces Partnership with Notre Dame Athletics
- Football. Always 1 For The Gipper
- Cross Country. New Look Irish Ready for Run in 2015
- Football. Old Friends Reunite in Notre Dame Stadium: Notre Dame and Texas
- M. Soccer. Aubrey Honored Following Strong Opening Weekend
- M. Basketball. Irish Relish Opportunity in Year Three as ACC Member
- General News. A Dream Finally Realized For The Muchemis
- Cross Country. Notre Dame Women Top Selection in 2015 ACC Pre-Season Coaches' Poll
- Football. Ready To Open Season Against Texas
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ⚽ The 2013 NCAA Champions are back. Hear Coach Bobby Clark set the tone for the season. @NDMenSoccer http://t.co/IFI2AfLD2L 12 hours ago
- We found our VIP Leprechaun for an @NDFootball game this year. #MoneyInTheBank #RespectTheHawk twitter.com/wwesheamus/sta… 12 hours ago
- Show us your best touchdown dance for a chance to win ND football tix! thiscounts.org #NDTDDance #ThisCounts http://t.co/S4yk9qlHA2 20 hours ago
- The same great content on your phone, tablet & desktop. See the redesign: UND.com Thnx @CBSiAdvMedia! http://t.co/8t1w81AyvC 1 day ago
- Want to help us defend our home turf vs Texas? Thanks to @Vyskcomm you have the chance! Enter: woobox.com/3oq4bt http://t.co/tqcJCgfHns 1 day ago