Jul 25, 2012, 10:41 AM EDT
Our third panelist for next week’s Google+ Hangout is Lisa Kelly, a 1993 Notre Dame graduate and an Irish superfan/blogger/tweeter (@4LeafCloverGirl).
Lisa does marketing research on a full time basis, but also does freelance work in social media. In addition to her own blog, Bridget McGuire’s Filling Station, she is a contributing writer at NoCoastBias.com and IrishEyes.com. In 2012, Lisa was crowned the “Biggest Fan of the BIG EAST” in a blogging and social media contest, representing Notre Dame.
Here’s a look back at Lisa’s trip to campus in January, where she saw the men’s basketball team knock off #1 and undefeated Syracuse.
What is your connection to Notre Dame? (If you are an alum, what dorm did you live in?)
I am a legacy as well as an alumna of the University of Notre Dame. I graduated in 1993 with a bachelor of business administration and marketing, despite starting my career at Notre Dame as an Aerospace Engineering major. I lived in Siegfried Hall (yes, which is now a guys’ dorm), and we won the intramural flag football championships in 1992, and I played nose tackle. We were given the opportunity to purchase letter jackets and I have a letter jacket just like the football players were given.
This year, I was crowned the 2012 “Biggest Fan of the BIG EAST” representing Notre Dame. The BIG EAST Conference and Volvo Cars US selected one alumni blogger from every school in the BIG EAST Conference to represent their school and cover BIG EAST basketball. We were each given eight challenge blog posts and competed against each other for six months to win the title of “Biggest Fan.” After our point totals from our challenges & voting were tallied, the final four was determined: Villanova, St. John’s, Notre Dame and Cincinnati. Then it was up to Volvo’s discretion to select the winner. What ultimately put me over the top was the extra “Five Questions” blog posts I did, in which I asked each of my fellow contestants my five questions. After being announced the winner I was flown to New York City where I got to attend the BIG EAST Tournament, and received the keys to my brand new Volvo on center court of Madison Square Garden. GO Irish!
What got you blogging about Notre Dame?
Blogging about Notre Dame athletics seemed quite natural for me. I am an only child, and my Dad is also an alum, and I have watched Notre Dame football ever since I can remember. My love of writing and passion for Notre Dame sports seemed to flow easily into my blog, Bridget McGuire’s Filling Station. The blog is named after an establishment that used to be near campus.
When did your blog first launch?
My blog launched in July of 2009.
Tell us about your blog. Why should Irish fans want to read it?
My blog covers Notre Dame sports, primarily football, basketball, and hockey … but does often cover other Notre Dame sports and traditions. In August I do my annual “Football Week” of posts where I preview the upcoming Notre Dame football season and do a week long series of football related articles. Bridget McGuire’s Filling Station is a blog subtitled “Musings of an Irish Girl.” The content is heavy on Notre Dame athletics and music posts, but occasionally wanders into life ramblings and soap box moments.
I am currently writing a blog series entitled “Where Are They Now?” featuring Notre Dame athletes from the past, walking down memory lane with them, and highlighting what they have done since their days in South Bend. So far I have featured Oscar McBride, Rick Mirer, Marc Edwards, Adrian Jarrell, Reggie Brooks, Gerome Sapp, Jeff Burris, and Bertrand Berry. I plan on covering other athletes outside the realm of football, and my first non-football guest will be women’s basketball champion, Ruth Riley.
What is your favorite thing about game day at Notre Dame?
My favorite thing about game day at Notre Dame is Trumpets Under the Dome. I absolutely love everything about Game Day. Who doesn’t? But there is something about Trumpets Under the Dome that brings me to tears every time.
- W. Soccer. Irish Among Early Top 10
- Monogram Club. Monogram Club To Host Riehle Open On The Road At Stanford
- W. Lacrosse. Ortega Named All-World; Team USA Claims Silver
- W. Lacrosse. Incoming Freshmen Play for World Championship on Sat.
- W. Swimming. Irish Stars Thrive On International Swimming Stage
- W. Golf. Cool, Confident Hamilton Matures in Wyndham Cup Debut
- W. Volleyball. How To Watch Irish Volleyball Matches In 2015
- W. Soccer. Irish, ACC Release Expanded Broadcast Schedule
- M. Golf. Irish Earn A 2015 GCAA Team Academic Award
- Monogram Club. First Person: Danielle Green's ESPY Moment
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- #BACK2BACK 🏀@NDwbb student-athlete named @WNBA Rookie of the Month For 2nd-straight month. June:Achonwa July:Loyd http://t.co/tB6CwWmT58 55 minutes ago
- 3 of the top 5 come from @theACC as @NDMenSoccer checks in at #4. Do you have your tix? BUY: UND.com/BuyTickets http://t.co/25gFuR9VwX 1 hour ago
- RT @Brewers: Craig Counsell played for Pat Murphy at the University of Notre Dame (1989-92). Now they reunite as @MLB managers. http://t.co… 1 hour ago
- EMMA REANEY American Record Holder:✔️ NCAA Champion:✔️ ND Graduate:✔️ Caterpillar?🐛🐛🐛🐛🐛🐛🐛 twitter.com/ndsportsblogge… 7 hours ago
- Two @NDBaseball alums. Managing two MLB teams. On Monday night they'll face off... WE HAVE NO CLUE WHO TO ROOT FOR http://t.co/zj8bt6n7bx 1 day ago