Jul 27, 2012, 11:35 AM EDT
As you have probably heard by now, former Irish fencer and NCAA champion Mariel Zagunis was chosen to bear the flag and lead Team U.S.A. into Olympic Stadium at today’s Opening Ceremony in London. In 2004, Zagunis became the first American in 100 years to win fencing gold. Four years later in Beijing, she captured the sabre gold medal for a second time and on August 1, she’ll try for her third in a row.
But before the Beaverton, Ore. native goes for the gold again, she will have the incredible opportunity to lead her country into the Games of the XXX Olympiad. On Wednesday, the United States Olympic Committee announced that Zagunis had been chosen by a vote of her fellow U.S.A. teammates. Notre Dame fans and alums are taking a lot of pride in knowing that “one of their own” was selected for such a tremendous honor, but the announcement has also created a lot of buzz nationally. Before you tune into NBC tonight at 7:30 pm ET, here are a few articles you should read:
- Mariel Zagunis doesn’t have the single-name fame of LeBron or Serena, but the announcement proves she is as respected as her superstar American teammates, writes Chad Finn for the Boston.com Olympics blog.
- Janie McCauley of The Associated Press caught up with Mariel’s mother, Cathy Zagunis, who quickly changed her flight to make sure she arrives in time for her daughter’s special moment.
- In 2012, the 40th anniversary of Title IX, it seems fitting that a woman leads Team U.S.A. into the Games, says Bonnie D. Ford for ESPNW.
- Sarika Dani and Ian Sager from NBC’s Today Show talked to Zagunis about gardening, one of her hobbies away from her sport. (Their blog post also includes a fun video of Zagunis teaching Al Roker about fencing).
- UND.com has more on Zagunis, as well as everything you need to know about the rest of the Irish in the 2012 Olympics.
- And lastly, check out this quick video from NBC Nightly News.
Watch the Opening Ceremony tonight at 7:30 pm ET on NBC. Go Team U.S.A., Go Irish, and Go Mariel Zagunis.
- Swimming & Diving. World Championships Underway For Plaschka
- Fencing. Nelip Snares Silver At FIE Senior World Championships
- Bigger Than Brick. Big Improvements in Game Day Experience
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Recycling Benches
- W. Soccer. Jacobs to Compete with U-23 Women's National Team in Seattle
- Bigger Than Brick. `Going Green' at Notre Dame Stadium
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Comparisons
- Track & Field. Murray Speaks to Write on Sports Campers
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick | Looking Around
- M. Ice Hockey. Notre Dame Sends Contingent to NHL Development Camps
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🏈 We've revamped the concession stands at Notre Dame Stadium. 🔹 New Look 🔹 New Food 🔹 New TV Monitors Here's a sn… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 13 hours ago
- ☘ What's new at ND Stadium? Video Board Concessions Stands Hall of Fame Display Check out the new fan amenities: und.com/sports/biggert… 21 hours ago
- 🏈 ND FACT The old Notre Dame Stadium benches have been repurposed in the stadium & 3 adjoining buildings.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- ☘️ NEW SEATING! We decked out ND Stadium with new benches in time for the 2017 season. #NDBiggerThanBrick https://t.co/uUCasQHn3D 1 day ago
- 🏈 STADIUM UPGRADES 100% of the stadium seating has been repurposed or recycled. Check out the new benches.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago