Jul 27, 2012, 11:35 AM EST
As you have probably heard by now, former Irish fencer and NCAA champion Mariel Zagunis was chosen to bear the flag and lead Team U.S.A. into Olympic Stadium at today’s Opening Ceremony in London. In 2004, Zagunis became the first American in 100 years to win fencing gold. Four years later in Beijing, she captured the sabre gold medal for a second time and on August 1, she’ll try for her third in a row.
But before the Beaverton, Ore. native goes for the gold again, she will have the incredible opportunity to lead her country into the Games of the XXX Olympiad. On Wednesday, the United States Olympic Committee announced that Zagunis had been chosen by a vote of her fellow U.S.A. teammates. Notre Dame fans and alums are taking a lot of pride in knowing that “one of their own” was selected for such a tremendous honor, but the announcement has also created a lot of buzz nationally. Before you tune into NBC tonight at 7:30 pm ET, here are a few articles you should read:
- Mariel Zagunis doesn’t have the single-name fame of LeBron or Serena, but the announcement proves she is as respected as her superstar American teammates, writes Chad Finn for the Boston.com Olympics blog.
- Janie McCauley of The Associated Press caught up with Mariel’s mother, Cathy Zagunis, who quickly changed her flight to make sure she arrives in time for her daughter’s special moment.
- In 2012, the 40th anniversary of Title IX, it seems fitting that a woman leads Team U.S.A. into the Games, says Bonnie D. Ford for ESPNW.
- Sarika Dani and Ian Sager from NBC’s Today Show talked to Zagunis about gardening, one of her hobbies away from her sport. (Their blog post also includes a fun video of Zagunis teaching Al Roker about fencing).
- UND.com has more on Zagunis, as well as everything you need to know about the rest of the Irish in the 2012 Olympics.
- And lastly, check out this quick video from NBC Nightly News.
Watch the Opening Ceremony tonight at 7:30 pm ET on NBC. Go Team U.S.A., Go Irish, and Go Mariel Zagunis.
- Fencing. Irish All-Around Victorious On Day One At ACC Championships
- W. Basketball. ACC Championship at Stake on Sunday on ESPN2
- Softball. Irish Fight To 5-4 Victory Over NCAA Champ #4 OU
- M. Ice Hockey. Hockey East Championship At Stake
- Baseball. Big Inning Dooms Irish At San Diego
- Track. Conference Championship is 'Icing on the Cake'
- Softball. Irish Use Explosive Sixth To Stop #11/12 Georgia, 10-7
- M. Ice Hockey. #13 Irish Bounce #5 Boston University 3-1
- M. Tennis. Hagar Clinches Upset of Northwestern at Top Spot
- W. Golf. Opportunity Awaits Women's Golf Team At Westbrook Spring Invitational
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘️ 2017 ACC CHAMPIONS! The men's @NDFencing team wins its 3rd straight ACC title with a 14-13 victory over Duke.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 15 minutes ago
- Won Meyo Invitational✔️ Set @NDXCTF Record✔️ Nate Richartz pole vaults @ACCTrackField Championships. Sat | Noon 📺… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 8 hours ago
- 🏒 Top-15 Win #13 @NDHockey downs #5 Boston University 3-1. ND plays Boston University Saturday for the regular-se… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 9 hours ago
- ☘@NDXCTF Sprinter 🏈@NDFootball CB Troy Pride Jr. races at ACC Track & Field Championships! Fri | 4:45pm & 6:05pm… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- ☘ 5th Straight Victory! #9 @NDWomensLax ends Elon's 4-game unbeaten streak with 16-7 win. und.com/sports/w-lacro… 1 day ago