Jul 27, 2012, 11:35 AM EDT
As you have probably heard by now, former Irish fencer and NCAA champion Mariel Zagunis was chosen to bear the flag and lead Team U.S.A. into Olympic Stadium at today’s Opening Ceremony in London. In 2004, Zagunis became the first American in 100 years to win fencing gold. Four years later in Beijing, she captured the sabre gold medal for a second time and on August 1, she’ll try for her third in a row.
But before the Beaverton, Ore. native goes for the gold again, she will have the incredible opportunity to lead her country into the Games of the XXX Olympiad. On Wednesday, the United States Olympic Committee announced that Zagunis had been chosen by a vote of her fellow U.S.A. teammates. Notre Dame fans and alums are taking a lot of pride in knowing that “one of their own” was selected for such a tremendous honor, but the announcement has also created a lot of buzz nationally. Before you tune into NBC tonight at 7:30 pm ET, here are a few articles you should read:
- Mariel Zagunis doesn’t have the single-name fame of LeBron or Serena, but the announcement proves she is as respected as her superstar American teammates, writes Chad Finn for the Boston.com Olympics blog.
- Janie McCauley of The Associated Press caught up with Mariel’s mother, Cathy Zagunis, who quickly changed her flight to make sure she arrives in time for her daughter’s special moment.
- In 2012, the 40th anniversary of Title IX, it seems fitting that a woman leads Team U.S.A. into the Games, says Bonnie D. Ford for ESPNW.
- Sarika Dani and Ian Sager from NBC’s Today Show talked to Zagunis about gardening, one of her hobbies away from her sport. (Their blog post also includes a fun video of Zagunis teaching Al Roker about fencing).
- UND.com has more on Zagunis, as well as everything you need to know about the rest of the Irish in the 2012 Olympics.
- And lastly, check out this quick video from NBC Nightly News.
Watch the Opening Ceremony tonight at 7:30 pm ET on NBC. Go Team U.S.A., Go Irish, and Go Mariel Zagunis.
- M. Golf. Rushton Captures Medalist Honors At The 2015 Kickoff Challenge
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Tops MTSU For First Win Of 2015
- M. Soccer. #4 Irish Stun #14 Indiana On Overtime Tally
- W. Soccer. #7/6 Irish Extinguish Portland's Pilot Light, 2-0
- W. Soccer. What To Watch For: Portland
- M. Soccer. Keys To The Game: Indiana
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Drops Opening Matches In Tennessee
- M. Ice Hockey. Pro Camp Set To Open On Monday
- M. Golf. Men's Golf Opens Season At Kickoff Challenge
- W. Soccer. Patience Key As #7/6 Irish Top Santa Clara, 2-1
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 💥 Ladies and Gentlemen... 🏈 It's back. #TrickShotMonday @NDFootball Watch Full: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/xkdW… http://t.co/VIKoasToil 11 hours ago
- 🏀 2 Sports. 🏈 2 Covers. 📚 1 Week of School complete. At this rate we'll have 60-ish covers this year! #Facts http://t.co/wN1znK7jov 12 hours ago
- 🏈 WATCH ALERT Onward Notre Dame returns tonight at 6:30 pm ET on @NBCSportsNet Full Trailer: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/RtNm… http://t.co/miCSB5YjkM 15 hours ago
- 🍀 @NDvolleyball celebrates first win of the "Jim McLaughlin era". http://t.co/0rKNP2kd2z 21 hours ago
- 2013 NCAA Champion: 1 2012 NCAA Champion: 0 🍀See how #4 @NDMenSoccer downed #14 Indiana in OT. snpy.tv/1UmJ00n 1 day ago