Jul 27, 2012, 11:35 AM EST
As you have probably heard by now, former Irish fencer and NCAA champion Mariel Zagunis was chosen to bear the flag and lead Team U.S.A. into Olympic Stadium at today’s Opening Ceremony in London. In 2004, Zagunis became the first American in 100 years to win fencing gold. Four years later in Beijing, she captured the sabre gold medal for a second time and on August 1, she’ll try for her third in a row.
But before the Beaverton, Ore. native goes for the gold again, she will have the incredible opportunity to lead her country into the Games of the XXX Olympiad. On Wednesday, the United States Olympic Committee announced that Zagunis had been chosen by a vote of her fellow U.S.A. teammates. Notre Dame fans and alums are taking a lot of pride in knowing that “one of their own” was selected for such a tremendous honor, but the announcement has also created a lot of buzz nationally. Before you tune into NBC tonight at 7:30 pm ET, here are a few articles you should read:
- Mariel Zagunis doesn’t have the single-name fame of LeBron or Serena, but the announcement proves she is as respected as her superstar American teammates, writes Chad Finn for the Boston.com Olympics blog.
- Janie McCauley of The Associated Press caught up with Mariel’s mother, Cathy Zagunis, who quickly changed her flight to make sure she arrives in time for her daughter’s special moment.
- In 2012, the 40th anniversary of Title IX, it seems fitting that a woman leads Team U.S.A. into the Games, says Bonnie D. Ford for ESPNW.
- Sarika Dani and Ian Sager from NBC’s Today Show talked to Zagunis about gardening, one of her hobbies away from her sport. (Their blog post also includes a fun video of Zagunis teaching Al Roker about fencing).
- UND.com has more on Zagunis, as well as everything you need to know about the rest of the Irish in the 2012 Olympics.
- And lastly, check out this quick video from NBC Nightly News.
Watch the Opening Ceremony tonight at 7:30 pm ET on NBC. Go Team U.S.A., Go Irish, and Go Mariel Zagunis.
- M. Basketball. Irish Suffer First Conference Defeat at No. 10 Florida State
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Aims to Bounce Back at Boston College
- Monogram Club. Monogram Club Partners With Bread Of Life/Lou's Lads Food Drive
- M. Soccer. Irish In The Pros: Recapping The 2016 Season
- W. Tennis. Season In Preview: Irish Veterans And Rookies Poised To Make Impact
- W. Basketball. Irish Recruit Patterson Named McDonald's All-American
- M. Tennis. Season Outlook: Irish Look For Perfect Combination Of Youth And Experience
- M. Basketball. SI Now - Why Is Notre Dame Underappreciated?
- General News. Torain Joins Athletics Department As Associate Athletics Director
- W. Basketball. Irish Fall in Final Minute at Tennessee
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- A 4th grade class from California wished to see their dream college. Wish granted! See their trip to @NotreDame. https://t.co/nR7lK5ONvG 11 hours ago
- FIGHTING IRISH vs. SEMINOLES @accmbb Showdown. @NDmbb: #1 in the ACC Florida State: #3 in the ACC ⏰7pm 💻… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 13 hours ago
- Commit to @NDFootball✔️ 1st Day of College✔️ Follow early enrollee Aaron Banks to his 1st ND class & see who he ra… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 19 hours ago
- RT @NDFootball: WATCH:A group of California 4th-graders head to Notre Dame to experience firsthand the University to which they've pledged… 1 day ago
- Who is V.J. Beachem's role model? His favorite NBA player? Find out on Inside @NDmbb. 📺 UND.com/breytvshow https://t.co/4mzC9yW6Uo 1 day ago