Jul 30, 2012, 4:36 PM EDT
Across the pond, the Games of the XXX Olympiad are well underway and several former, current and future Irish athletes have been busy on the court, pitch and piste (that’s the fencing mat, by the way).
Though the Opening Ceremony was not until Friday, the games actually began last Wednesday, with soccer, where three Notre Dame alumnae are representing their countries. You can read more about Team U.S.A.’s Shannon Boxx (’99) and Canada’s Melissa Tancredi (’04) and Candace Chapman (’05), in the latest entry on our soccer blog, Irish United.
On the hardwood, junior Natalie Achonwa and Canada fell in their opening game against Russia, 58-53. Achonwa scored three points and grabbed four rebounds in 22 minutes.
The Canadians resumed group play this afternoon against host country Great Britain, where Achonwa came up with several big plays down the stretch, including a late assist and putback score. She finished with four points, four rebounds and three assists in a 73-65 victory.
In fencing, incoming freshman Lee Kiefer reached the individual foil quarterfinals on Saturday, before losing to Italy’s Arianna Errigo, who went on to win the silver medal.
While Kiefer fell short in the individual competition, her effort (and her fencing mask) generated a lot of buzz on Twitter. She still has much to look forward to, both in her fencing career and at the London Games. The team foil competition will be held on Aug. 2.
— NBCOlympics (@NBCOlympics) July 28, 2012
— darren rovell (@darrenrovell) July 28, 2012
This morning, senior epee Courtney Hurley lost to France’s Laura Flessel-Colovic in the round of 32. The San Antonio, Tex. native will have another shot on the piste during the team competition on Aug. 4.
Mariel Zagunis, who carried the U.S. flag at the Opening Ceremony, will go for her third straight gold medal in the individual sabre competition on Wednesday, Aug. 1.
- Track. Irish Prepared for Split-Squad Competition
- W. Golf. Irish Await Elite Field at Bryan National Collegiate
- W. Basketball. Turner's All-America Honors Continue
- M. Basketball. Colson Nabs AP All-America Accolade
- W. Volleyball. Q&A On Irish Volleyball Junior Sam Fry's National Team Tryout
- Baseball. Rally Pushes Irish By Cougars
- M. Basketball. Matt Ryan Granted Release For Contact With Other Schools
- Fencing. Replay: NCAA Title in My Eyes
- Softball. Irish Entertain EMU Eagles Wednesday Evening
- M. Ice Hockey. Jackson Named One of 10 Finalists For Spencer Penrose Award
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- NATIONAL PLAYER OF THE WEEK @NDWomensLax goalie Samantha Giacolone earns national honor after making 13 saves in w… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 42 minutes ago
- 🏒 @NCAA Coach of the Year Finalist @NDHockey coach Jeff Jackson is a top-10 finalist for the Spencer Penrose Award. und.com/sports/m-hocke… 6 hours ago
- ⚾️ IRISH RALLY PAST CHICAGO STATE @NDBaseball downs Chicago State 7-4 with a trio of 2-run innings. Game Recap: und.com/sports/m-baseb… 9 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: “I can’t tell you how proud we are of you.” - Coach Jackson Relive @NDHockey’s 3-2 OT win vs. UMass Lowell. NEXT: On t… 23 hours ago
- ☘ After beating #4 Ohio State 12-7... 2 @NDlacrosse stars earn ACC Player of the Week! Sergio Perkovic John Sexton und.com/sports/m-lacro… 1 day ago