Jul 30, 2012, 4:36 PM EDT
Across the pond, the Games of the XXX Olympiad are well underway and several former, current and future Irish athletes have been busy on the court, pitch and piste (that’s the fencing mat, by the way).
Though the Opening Ceremony was not until Friday, the games actually began last Wednesday, with soccer, where three Notre Dame alumnae are representing their countries. You can read more about Team U.S.A.’s Shannon Boxx (’99) and Canada’s Melissa Tancredi (’04) and Candace Chapman (’05), in the latest entry on our soccer blog, Irish United.
On the hardwood, junior Natalie Achonwa and Canada fell in their opening game against Russia, 58-53. Achonwa scored three points and grabbed four rebounds in 22 minutes.
The Canadians resumed group play this afternoon against host country Great Britain, where Achonwa came up with several big plays down the stretch, including a late assist and putback score. She finished with four points, four rebounds and three assists in a 73-65 victory.
In fencing, incoming freshman Lee Kiefer reached the individual foil quarterfinals on Saturday, before losing to Italy’s Arianna Errigo, who went on to win the silver medal.
While Kiefer fell short in the individual competition, her effort (and her fencing mask) generated a lot of buzz on Twitter. She still has much to look forward to, both in her fencing career and at the London Games. The team foil competition will be held on Aug. 2.
— NBCOlympics (@NBCOlympics) July 28, 2012
— darren rovell (@darrenrovell) July 28, 2012
This morning, senior epee Courtney Hurley lost to France’s Laura Flessel-Colovic in the round of 32. The San Antonio, Tex. native will have another shot on the piste during the team competition on Aug. 4.
Mariel Zagunis, who carried the U.S. flag at the Opening Ceremony, will go for her third straight gold medal in the individual sabre competition on Wednesday, Aug. 1.
- Swimming & Diving. #19 Irish Ready For Speedy NCAA Championship Week
- Track & Field. Nathan Richartz Named ACC Field Performer Of The Week
- Softball. Irish And Western Michigan Game Rescheduled For April 17
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Set To Host Michigan In Midweek Matchup
- M. Basketball. Matt Farrell Invited To All-Star Three-Point Challenge
- Baseball. Notre Dame Hosts NIU in Home Opener
- General News. Social Rewind: @ndwbb vs. Villanova - NCAA Tournament
- M. Basketball. Final Words
- Fencing. Kiefer Snares Bronze At FIE Grand Prix
- M. Lacrosse. Sexton And Wynne Named ACC Players Of The Week
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- After @NDHockey won the Big Ten Tournament title came the celebrations! 🎉 Take an inside look at the Irish win bef… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 6 hours ago
- After @ndwbb advanced to its NINTH straight #Sweet16, @MuffetMcGraw takes you inside the locker room with the Irish… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 7 hours ago
- "Enjoy this, but there are even more prizes ahead." With a Big Ten Tournament title under their belts, go behind-t… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 8 hours ago
- Before @NDLacrosse takes on Michigan on Wednesday at 4 p.m., take an inside look 👀 back at the top-10 win vs. Virgi… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 9 hours ago
- The lines are painted. The dugouts are set. The popcorn's popped. @NDBaseball is back, Tuesday at 6 p.m. ET on AC… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 10 hours ago