Jul 30, 2012, 4:36 PM EDT
Across the pond, the Games of the XXX Olympiad are well underway and several former, current and future Irish athletes have been busy on the court, pitch and piste (that’s the fencing mat, by the way).
Though the Opening Ceremony was not until Friday, the games actually began last Wednesday, with soccer, where three Notre Dame alumnae are representing their countries. You can read more about Team U.S.A.’s Shannon Boxx (’99) and Canada’s Melissa Tancredi (’04) and Candace Chapman (’05), in the latest entry on our soccer blog, Irish United.
On the hardwood, junior Natalie Achonwa and Canada fell in their opening game against Russia, 58-53. Achonwa scored three points and grabbed four rebounds in 22 minutes.
The Canadians resumed group play this afternoon against host country Great Britain, where Achonwa came up with several big plays down the stretch, including a late assist and putback score. She finished with four points, four rebounds and three assists in a 73-65 victory.
In fencing, incoming freshman Lee Kiefer reached the individual foil quarterfinals on Saturday, before losing to Italy’s Arianna Errigo, who went on to win the silver medal.
While Kiefer fell short in the individual competition, her effort (and her fencing mask) generated a lot of buzz on Twitter. She still has much to look forward to, both in her fencing career and at the London Games. The team foil competition will be held on Aug. 2.
— NBCOlympics (@NBCOlympics) July 28, 2012
— darren rovell (@darrenrovell) July 28, 2012
This morning, senior epee Courtney Hurley lost to France’s Laura Flessel-Colovic in the round of 32. The San Antonio, Tex. native will have another shot on the piste during the team competition on Aug. 4.
Mariel Zagunis, who carried the U.S. flag at the Opening Ceremony, will go for her third straight gold medal in the individual sabre competition on Wednesday, Aug. 1.
- W. Rowing. Irish Earn Final Berths At The NCAA Championship
- Track & Field. Richartz Secures Spot at NCAA Championships
- W. Rowing. Rowing Wraps Up Day One At NCAA Championship
- W. Lacrosse. Long Island Sound Draft Two Irish Alumnae
- Baseball. Irish Fall In Season Finale
- Track & Field. Irish Punch Ticket To Eugene
- Football. Football & The Force Charity Softball Game
- M. Tennis. Hagar Falls In NCAA Championship Second Round
- Track & Field. Harris Receives Academic All-District Honors
- W. Rowing. Rowing Ready For NCAA Championship
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: Shoot for the Sky! @DallasWings Skylar Diggins-Smith holds @ndwbb career points record (2,357) On Thursday she scored… 1 hour ago
- Shoot for the Sky! @DallasWings Skylar Diggins-Smith holds @ndwbb career points record (2,357) On Thursday she sc… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 5 hours ago
- ND Headed to NCAA Championships! @NDXCTF qualifies for NCAA Track & Field Championships for the 26th straight year. und.com/sports/c-track… 10 hours ago
- 🚨 STANLEY CUP WATCH Thurs. @NDHockey & @Penguins defending Stanley Cup champs Bryan Rust & Ian Cole advanced to fi… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- ☘ Ready. Set. Row! Friday, @NDRowing returns to NCAA Championships for the 9th time in program history. INFO:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago