Aug 1, 2012, 4:18 PM EDT
It was a tough start to August for the Irish in London today.
Junior Natalie Achonwa scored 14 points and grabbed eight rebounds, but Canada fell to France, 64-60 in Group B play. Visit NBCOlympics.com to watch a replay of the game, which aired this morning at 4:00 am ET.
Team Canada returns to the hardwood on Friday at 9:30 am ET when it takes on Brazil on the NBC Olympic Basketball Channel.
Former Irish fencer Mariel Zagunis suffered a shocking upset in the semifinals of the women’s individual sabre, falling 15-13 to Kim Jiyeon of South Korea.
Later, Zagunis lost 15-10 against Ukraine’s Olga Kharlan in the bronze medal bout. For the two-time defending Olympic champion, there is no doubt it’s disappointing finish in London, but she will hopefully have another opportunity to battle for the gold at the 2016 Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Tomorrow, incoming freshman Lee Kiefer will compete in the women’s team foil competition. Team U.S.A. will meet South Korea in the quarterfinal round, which begins at 5:30 am ET.
- W. Soccer. Irish Complete Sweep Through Florida With 2-1 Win Over Miami
- Football. Irish Bring Home Shillelagh in Emphatic 49-14 Win
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Advances At ITA Midwest Regional Championships
- Football. Championship Road Runs Through South Bend
- W. Rowing. Club Four Finishes Eighth At Head Of The Charles
- W. Soccer. Irish Continue Road Swing at Miami
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish, #15 Duke Battle To Scoreless Draw
- M. Ice Hockey. #5/6 Irish Rebound With 3-1 Victory Over Sacred Heart
- W. Volleyball. Yeadon's 24 Kills Powers Irish Past Florida State
- M. Tennis. Howells, Lebedev Into Doubles Quarterfinal At ITA Midwest Regionals
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- No. 1️⃣3️⃣ @NDFootball's win vs. USC is the largest win against a top-20 team since 1992. #GoIrish und.com/sports/m-footb… 26 minutes ago
- Junior @NDMensTennis player Alex Lebedev advanced at the ITA Midwest Regional Championships. #GoIrish und.com/sports/m-tenni… 2 hours ago
- The Irish look for their third win in the last four matches as @NDSoccer takes on Miami. #GoIrish und.com/sports/w-socce… 3 hours ago
- The Shillelagh is home and @NDFootball alum @thejaylonsmith knows it. #GoIrish https://t.co/88eO6JwLXd 4 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: We're just getting started. #GoIrish https://t.co/5DSBB4LB8w 5 hours ago