Aug 1, 2012, 4:18 PM EDT
It was a tough start to August for the Irish in London today.
Junior Natalie Achonwa scored 14 points and grabbed eight rebounds, but Canada fell to France, 64-60 in Group B play. Visit NBCOlympics.com to watch a replay of the game, which aired this morning at 4:00 am ET.
Team Canada returns to the hardwood on Friday at 9:30 am ET when it takes on Brazil on the NBC Olympic Basketball Channel.
Former Irish fencer Mariel Zagunis suffered a shocking upset in the semifinals of the women’s individual sabre, falling 15-13 to Kim Jiyeon of South Korea.
Later, Zagunis lost 15-10 against Ukraine’s Olga Kharlan in the bronze medal bout. For the two-time defending Olympic champion, there is no doubt it’s disappointing finish in London, but she will hopefully have another opportunity to battle for the gold at the 2016 Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Tomorrow, incoming freshman Lee Kiefer will compete in the women’s team foil competition. Team U.S.A. will meet South Korea in the quarterfinal round, which begins at 5:30 am ET.
- W. Soccer. Jacobs to Compete with U-23 Women's National Team in Seattle
- Bigger Than Brick. `Going Green' at Notre Dame Stadium
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Comparisons
- Track & Field. Murray Speaks to Write on Sports Campers
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick | Looking Around
- M. Ice Hockey. Notre Dame Sends Contingent to NHL Development Camps
- Cross Country. Irish Announce Cross Country Class of 2021
- Fencing. Irish To Be Well-Represented At Senior World Championships
- M. Basketball. Maui Invitational Tournament Will Begin With Chaminade
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - The Why
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🏈 Countdown to Kickoff: 43 Days In 1943 QB Angelo Bertelli won @NDFootball's 1st Heisman Trophy, the same year ND… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 16 hours ago
- ☘ ND Stadium is Going Green! LED Lights Food Donations Game Day Recycling Learn about our sustainability efforts: und.com/sports/biggert… 23 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: The 3 new buildings at ND Stadium are big enough for a queen. Literally. At 800,000 sq. feet, they're almost as big as… 1 day ago
- The new facility at ND Stadium has 1,650,000 bricks. Laid end-to-end they stretch 200 miles. Long enough to go fr… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- In 3,000,000 hours of labor we: Renovated ND Stadium & constructed 3 buildings. That's how long it takes Earth to… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago