Aug 3, 2012, 7:08 PM EDT
We’re back with another UNDerground update on the Irish in London…
Freshman fencer Lee Kiefer was the only Notre Dame athlete who competed on Thursday. The youngest member of the U.S. fencing squad helped the team finish sixth in the foil competition. She went 3-5-1 in team U.S.A.’s three matches, including a 2-1 performance versus Japan.
On Friday, the United States and Canada returned to the pitch. Both women’s teams advanced to the semifinal round, where they will meet at Old Trafford on Monday. Read more about Shannon Boxx (’99), Candace Chapman (’05) and Melissa Tancredi (’04) in our update on Irish United.
Junior Natalie Achonwa had another strong game for Canada on the hardwood, finishing with 11 points and three assists, in a 79-73 win over Brazil. This performance comes on the heels of Wednesday’s 14-point, eight-rebound game.
With the victory, Canada earns a spot in the quarterfinals for the first time since 1984. But first, Achonwa and her team will conclude Group B play against Australia on Sunday at 9:30 am ET on NBC Olympic Basketball Channel.
On Saturday morning (5:30 am ET), senior fencer Courtney Hurley will represent the United States in the team epee competition.
Stay tuned for more right here on UNDerground and on Twitter at @FightingIrish.
- W. Soccer. Irish Complete Sweep Through Florida With 2-1 Win Over Miami
- Football. Irish Bring Home Shillelagh in Emphatic 49-14 Win
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Advances At ITA Midwest Regional Championships
- Football. Championship Road Runs Through South Bend
- W. Rowing. Club Four Finishes Eighth At Head Of The Charles
- W. Soccer. Irish Continue Road Swing at Miami
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish, #15 Duke Battle To Scoreless Draw
- M. Ice Hockey. #5/6 Irish Rebound With 3-1 Victory Over Sacred Heart
- W. Volleyball. Yeadon's 24 Kills Powers Irish Past Florida State
- M. Tennis. Howells, Lebedev Into Doubles Quarterfinal At ITA Midwest Regionals
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- No. 1️⃣3️⃣ @NDFootball's win vs. USC is the largest win against a top-20 team since 1992. #GoIrish und.com/sports/m-footb… 33 minutes ago
- Junior @NDMensTennis player Alex Lebedev advanced at the ITA Midwest Regional Championships. #GoIrish und.com/sports/m-tenni… 2 hours ago
- The Irish look for their third win in the last four matches as @NDSoccer takes on Miami. #GoIrish und.com/sports/w-socce… 3 hours ago
- The Shillelagh is home and @NDFootball alum @thejaylonsmith knows it. #GoIrish https://t.co/88eO6JwLXd 4 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: We're just getting started. #GoIrish https://t.co/5DSBB4LB8w 5 hours ago