Aug 28, 2012, 12:35 PM EDT
Freshman Taylor Morey isn’t afraid of the big stage following her performance in Lincoln, Neb. over the past weekend as Notre Dame’s starting libero. Despite matching up against two top-five ranked opponents in defending national champion UCLA (#1) and host Nebraska (#4), Morey showed sparks of brilliance in her Irish weekend debut.
The Muncie, Ind. native earned recognition as BIG EAST Freshman of the Week after compiling 50 digs and 8 assists in her first three collegiate matches. In Morey’s rookie debut Friday against UCLA, she totaled 29 digs in a four-set loss which put her in 15th place in school history for a single match. All of this, accomplished in just her first weekend as the Irish libero against three stellar opponents. And there’s no need to mention the shoes she’s filling this season following the graduation of four-year starter Frenchy Silva – Morey is a three-time state champion who understands what it takes to win and assume a leadership role.
Joining Morey on the early season accolade list was sophomore opposite side hitter Jeni Houser, who was named to the BIG EAST weekly honor roll for her performance in Lincoln. She accumulated 37 kills while hitting .308 over a three match span for the Irish. Houser will look to continue her dominance this season coming off last year’s second team all-BIG EAST selection.
Notre Dame will play its 2012 home opener Friday night against UAB at the Purcell Pavilion as part of the Shamrock Invitational. The game will be streamed live at 7:30 EST on und.com.
- Softball. Irish Resume With Wildcats In Evanston
- M. Lacrosse. Wynne Receives ACC Player Of The Week Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Bjork And Petersen Share MVP Honors
- W. Tennis. Irish Drop Season Finale To Clemson, 6-1
- M. Tennis. Hagar Provides A Bright Spot In 5-2 Loss To Wake Forest
- Softball. Virginia Sweeps Irish With 10-6 Sunday Win
- Track. Irish Close Record-Setting Day at Baylor
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Earn No. 4 Seed In ACC Tournament
- M. Golf. Golfers Conclude ACCs in 10th
- Football. Sunday Brunch: Irish Football ‘Process’ Ongoing
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Anna Rohrer ran her 1st 10K in April. She set ACC & @NDXCTF records. Ran fastest 10K of 2017 in the World. Donate… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 hour ago
- ☘ 765 Wins at ND 🏆 2001 @NCAA Champ 🏀 Naismith Hall of Famer Coach McGraw discusses her @ndwbb journey. Donate:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 hours ago
- The Man. The Myth. The Legend. 1988 NCAA title team coach Lou Holtz looks back at his @NDFootball career. Donate:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 hours ago
- 🏅 2 @ACCTrackField Titles ☘ @NDXCTF Record in 800m Jessica Harris shines in the 2017 Track & Field season. Donate… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 hours ago
- What's it like to compete in the Olympics? @NDRowing's FIRST Olympic Gold Medalist Amanda Polk knows! Watch/Donat… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 7 hours ago