Aug 28, 2012, 12:35 PM EST
Freshman Taylor Morey isn’t afraid of the big stage following her performance in Lincoln, Neb. over the past weekend as Notre Dame’s starting libero. Despite matching up against two top-five ranked opponents in defending national champion UCLA (#1) and host Nebraska (#4), Morey showed sparks of brilliance in her Irish weekend debut.
The Muncie, Ind. native earned recognition as BIG EAST Freshman of the Week after compiling 50 digs and 8 assists in her first three collegiate matches. In Morey’s rookie debut Friday against UCLA, she totaled 29 digs in a four-set loss which put her in 15th place in school history for a single match. All of this, accomplished in just her first weekend as the Irish libero against three stellar opponents. And there’s no need to mention the shoes she’s filling this season following the graduation of four-year starter Frenchy Silva – Morey is a three-time state champion who understands what it takes to win and assume a leadership role.
Joining Morey on the early season accolade list was sophomore opposite side hitter Jeni Houser, who was named to the BIG EAST weekly honor roll for her performance in Lincoln. She accumulated 37 kills while hitting .308 over a three match span for the Irish. Houser will look to continue her dominance this season coming off last year’s second team all-BIG EAST selection.
Notre Dame will play its 2012 home opener Friday night against UAB at the Purcell Pavilion as part of the Shamrock Invitational. The game will be streamed live at 7:30 EST on und.com.
- Swimming & Diving. #13/18 Irish Remain In The Hunt At OSU Fall Invite
- M. Ice Hockey. Morrison Tallies Overtime Winner As #4 Irish Down RPI 1-0
- Football. #8 Irish Hold Off Midshipmen, 24-17
- W. Soccer. How Sweet It Is: Irish Prepared to Face Baylor
- M. Ice Hockey. 2019 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic Set For Notre Dame Stadium
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish Begin NCAA Journey Sunday Against #20 Wisconsin
- W. Soccer. Irish Use Penalty Kicks to Eliminate No. 2-Seeded Aggies
- Swimming & Diving. #13/18 Irish Off To Strong Start In Columbus
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Decimates Tar Heels In Straight-Set Sweep
- M. Ice Hockey. #4 Irish Down RPI 4-1 For Sixth Straight Win
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- No. 8️⃣ @NDFootball took down Navy in the final home game of the 2017 season at Notre Dame Stadium. #GoIrish https://t.co/QQUR9IWSog 6 hours ago
- Celebrating Senior Day the best way we know how, on the field with our friends and family. #GoIrish https://t.co/ItoEJgeRWd 7 hours ago
- That’ll do it from Notre Dame Stadium, where @NDFootball defeats Navy, 24-17! Next up, Stanford. #GoIrish https://t.co/9ytOGrfW8p 9 hours ago
- Proud to stand with our friends from the Naval Academy during their alma mater. Thank you, always, for your servic… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 9 hours ago
- Gold always looks best in the fourth quarter. #GoIrish https://t.co/vbQmCNfrOF 9 hours ago