Aug 28, 2012, 12:35 PM EST
Freshman Taylor Morey isn’t afraid of the big stage following her performance in Lincoln, Neb. over the past weekend as Notre Dame’s starting libero. Despite matching up against two top-five ranked opponents in defending national champion UCLA (#1) and host Nebraska (#4), Morey showed sparks of brilliance in her Irish weekend debut.
The Muncie, Ind. native earned recognition as BIG EAST Freshman of the Week after compiling 50 digs and 8 assists in her first three collegiate matches. In Morey’s rookie debut Friday against UCLA, she totaled 29 digs in a four-set loss which put her in 15th place in school history for a single match. All of this, accomplished in just her first weekend as the Irish libero against three stellar opponents. And there’s no need to mention the shoes she’s filling this season following the graduation of four-year starter Frenchy Silva – Morey is a three-time state champion who understands what it takes to win and assume a leadership role.
Joining Morey on the early season accolade list was sophomore opposite side hitter Jeni Houser, who was named to the BIG EAST weekly honor roll for her performance in Lincoln. She accumulated 37 kills while hitting .308 over a three match span for the Irish. Houser will look to continue her dominance this season coming off last year’s second team all-BIG EAST selection.
Notre Dame will play its 2012 home opener Friday night against UAB at the Purcell Pavilion as part of the Shamrock Invitational. The game will be streamed live at 7:30 EST on und.com.
- W. Soccer. Romagnolo Announces Resignation as Irish Women’s Soccer Coach
- W. Basketball. Ogunbowale Named ACC Player of the Week
- M. Lacrosse. Men's Lacrosse Announces Two Preseason Exhibitions
- W. Tennis. Season Outlook: Irish Combine Veteran Experience With Young Talent
- Baseball. Irish Baseball & Softball Season Tickets On Sale
- Softball. Irish Baseball & Softball Season Tickets On Sale
- M. Tennis. Irish Sweep To Wins Over Kentucky, Cleveland State
- M. Ice Hockey. Notre Dame's 16-Game Winning Streak Ends Against Wisconsin
- Fencing. Irish Close Out Weekend With Wins In Philly
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish Cruise Past Clemson, 90-37
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- At Notre Dame, head coach Theresa Romagnolo stressed the importance of the #NDFamily. We now wish her well as she… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 hours ago
- No. 1️⃣ @NDHockey No. 1️⃣ @NDFencing No. 5️⃣ @ndwbb Three Irish teams with top-🖐 rankings = plenty of reasons to l… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 hours ago
- Life comes at you fast. But sometimes, @NDFootball's Te'von Coney comes at you faster. #GoIrish https://t.co/UdpGzTqlHG 4 hours ago
- After No. 5 @ndwbb earned its largest ACC win in program history, @NDSportsBlogger caught up with Kat Westbeld, who… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 5 hours ago
- Junior Alex Lebedev moved to 4-0 in his career at No. 1 singles as @NDMensTennis downed Kentucky and Cleveland Stat… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 6 hours ago