Aug 29, 2012, 9:23 AM EDT
Men’s tennis head coach Bobby Bayliss makes his first appearance on the UNDerground blog, as he and his team prepare for their trip to Dublin, where they will take on the Irish Davis Cup team this weekend.
Wednesday morning and we are ready to take off for Dublin. What a wonderful opportunity for our guys! Carrying everyone’s passports, football tickets, etc. I have never felt so important. This trip has just begun, but is already a blur. Very little sleep last night going over the last second details. We are meeting last year’s captain, Niall Fitzgerald, as he is accompanying us and will actually play for the Irish Davis Cup team on Friday. This was more difficult than I had imagined because Niall is now the graduate assistant coach at Tulane and – after some deliberation – he took a 27 hour bus trip to O’Hare, as all flights and trains from New Orleans are shut down due to Hurricane Isaac. Go figure!
This whole trip came about as a result of a conversation I had in Dublin last summer when I was there recruiting/evaluating the players at the Irish Junior Championships. Jimmy McDonough, the director of tennis and I figured it out and a quick conversation with Garry Cahill, Irish Davis Cup captain, cemented the idea. The last year has seen it come to fruition with lots of assistance from many people – Beth Hunter of the Monogram Club [football tickets], John Anthony and his staff [travel], and Jill Bodensteiner [NCAA Compliance and general advisor]. It has been rewarding to work with former players Barry King and Niall to make everything become a reality.
So now it’s off to Dublin. Our bus has arrived and as I run out the door, I am trying to think of what I have forgotten to do, but most of all I am very excited for our players and this wonderful experience they are going to have. It is frequently said that Notre Dame is a place where dreams come true and our trip is just one more example of that adage. Off we go to the land of smiles, freckles, and occasional showers!
- W. Tennis. Gleason Falls In ITA All-Americans Qualifying
- M. Ice Hockey. Hockey Media Day: News, Notes and Quotes
- W. Golf. Thirty Deeds: Irish Win By 30 Shots At Nebraska
- W. Rowing. Irish Rowing Releases 2015-16 Schedule
- Football. Irish Aim to Get Back on Winning Track vs. Navy
- Football. Notre Dame Football Media Conference
- W. Golf. Records Fall as Irish Soar Into Lead at Nebraska Tourney
- W. Rowing. #ILookLikeAnEngineer Twitter Initiative Rings True For @NDRowing
- Football. The Irish & Navy Show Mutual Respect On Field & On NBCSN
- W. Golf. From The First Tee: Irish at Chip-N Club Invitational
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ⛳️1st place by 30 shots 🏆2nd title of the year @NDwomensGolf DOMINATES at Nebraska READ: und.com/sports/w-golf/… http://t.co/zdGxBMU3ZW 2 hours ago
- 🏈"You're a good player. Don't ever doubt that." See @NDFootball fight for each other at Clemson in this week's ICON amp.twimg.com/v/5e12dcfd-0c8… 6 hours ago
- 🏈We can still accomplish the mission Go behind the scenes with Inside @NDFootball WATCH: UND.com/bktvshow amp.twimg.com/v/4764793f-b77… 8 hours ago
- 🍀@ndwbb All-American 🏀@IndianaFever Star Natalie Achonwa talks her 1st game in the #WNBAFinals Game 2 | 8 pm ET http://t.co/yy1vQELDZh 11 hours ago
- 🍀@NDFootball returns to campus 🎤Hear Coach Kelly talk about Saturday's game vs. Navy WATCH: watchnd.tv/#!/shows/Brian… http://t.co/VGpUQ9cRLt 12 hours ago