Aug 31, 2012, 9:33 AM EDT
Have you ever wondered what the life of a Notre Dame student-athlete looks like during the summer? Of course it’s filled with diligent preparation for the upcoming season including weight training and conditioning. But often overlooked is the student-athlete’s opportunity to spend time at home with family and friends. This is the first of a two-part post that will highlight how Irish volleyball players Andie Olsen, Marie Roof, Hilary Eppink, and Maggie Brindock, spent their summers away from South Bend and their preparation for the season.
Andie Olsen: The junior middle blocker took time to see two of the summer’s hottest movies – The Amazing Spiderman and The Dark Knight Rises – both of which she highly recommends. When it comes to volleyball, Olsen says that “doing a lot of mental preparation as well as [remaining] committed to our goals for the season” is a large part of the offseason that includes double sessions of lifting weights and cardio.
Marie Roof: One of two seniors on the 2012 Irish squad, Roof used part of the summer to road trip to several concerts with teammates including Dave Matthews Band, Kenny Chesney, and Tim McGraw. She also ventured to Silver Lake in St. Joe, Mich. to enjoy the sun and play beach volleyball. “It’s going to be a good year for the Irish,” Roof explains. “We have been preparing since our season ended last fall. The team has been working very hard in the weight room and in the gym.”
Hilary Eppink: Notre Dame’s other senior, Eppink, spent time over the summer on a family vacation to Siesta Key, Fla. where she parasailed and enjoyed the beach. “Mentally, I’ve been thinking about enjoying the game and having fun with my last season of college volleyball. I’m so pumped for our upcoming season. We have a lot to prove.”
Maggie Brindock: The junior setter from Rockwall, Texas took time to relax on her family vacation to Hilton Head, S.C. at the end of May. “We had beautiful weather,” Brindock explained. “Our favorite thing to do as a family is to hang out and enjoy each other’s company on the beach. This was a great part of my summer!” Brindock also helped work the Notre Dame volleyball camp along with teammate Andrea McHugh. During this time, she was able to enjoy an event filled week back on campus.
Check back for the second post updating you on the squad’s summer activities!
- Football. Tranquill Named Wuerffel Trophy Nominee
- M. Basketball. Coach Brey Press Conference - October 19, 2017
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish Honor Seniors, Take On #15 Duke Friday
- W. Volleyball. Sunshine State Bound: The Irish Are Set To Play FSU And Miami This Weekend
- Swimming & Diving. Swimming & Diving Welcomes Georgia Tech on Friday
- W. Basketball. Irish Selected as ACC Preseason Favorites Once Again
- Football. Notre Dame-USC Preview: The Unrivaled Rivalry
- M. Lacrosse. NYC Networking Trip Up Next On Notre Dame Lacrosse Fall Experience
- M. Tennis. Irish Set To Compete At ITA Midwest Regional Championships
- W. Basketball. Trio to Represent Irish at ACC Media Day
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- It's never been more dramatic than it is today. On Saturday, @NDFootball & USC showdown for the Shillelagh Trophy… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- "I can't wait to send USC back to LA [...] with a big loss." Mayor @PeteButtigieg is ready for @NDFootball gameday… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- "Any time you get to play SC, especially at our place, it's a special game." Saturday, @NDFootball takes its shot.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 hours ago
- One team, one town -- gameday and every day. Thank you for your service, @SouthBendFire. #GoIrish #BeatTrojans https://t.co/d81wSlXXPu 3 hours ago
- Your weekend ✅list continues with four more stops off the beaten path @NotreDame. #GoIrish https://t.co/issrNnW2OA 4 hours ago