Aug 31, 2012, 9:33 AM EST
Have you ever wondered what the life of a Notre Dame student-athlete looks like during the summer? Of course it’s filled with diligent preparation for the upcoming season including weight training and conditioning. But often overlooked is the student-athlete’s opportunity to spend time at home with family and friends. This is the first of a two-part post that will highlight how Irish volleyball players Andie Olsen, Marie Roof, Hilary Eppink, and Maggie Brindock, spent their summers away from South Bend and their preparation for the season.
Andie Olsen: The junior middle blocker took time to see two of the summer’s hottest movies – The Amazing Spiderman and The Dark Knight Rises – both of which she highly recommends. When it comes to volleyball, Olsen says that “doing a lot of mental preparation as well as [remaining] committed to our goals for the season” is a large part of the offseason that includes double sessions of lifting weights and cardio.
Marie Roof: One of two seniors on the 2012 Irish squad, Roof used part of the summer to road trip to several concerts with teammates including Dave Matthews Band, Kenny Chesney, and Tim McGraw. She also ventured to Silver Lake in St. Joe, Mich. to enjoy the sun and play beach volleyball. “It’s going to be a good year for the Irish,” Roof explains. “We have been preparing since our season ended last fall. The team has been working very hard in the weight room and in the gym.”
Hilary Eppink: Notre Dame’s other senior, Eppink, spent time over the summer on a family vacation to Siesta Key, Fla. where she parasailed and enjoyed the beach. “Mentally, I’ve been thinking about enjoying the game and having fun with my last season of college volleyball. I’m so pumped for our upcoming season. We have a lot to prove.”
Maggie Brindock: The junior setter from Rockwall, Texas took time to relax on her family vacation to Hilton Head, S.C. at the end of May. “We had beautiful weather,” Brindock explained. “Our favorite thing to do as a family is to hang out and enjoy each other’s company on the beach. This was a great part of my summer!” Brindock also helped work the Notre Dame volleyball camp along with teammate Andrea McHugh. During this time, she was able to enjoy an event filled week back on campus.
Check back for the second post updating you on the squad’s summer activities!
- W. Basketball. No. 2 Irish Renew Border Battle with (-/RV) DePaul
- W. Soccer. A Look Back: 2017 Top Moments
- General News. Irish Student-Athletes Celebrate 21st Annual Pediatric Christmas Party
- M. Basketball. #Breyteen - Irish Outlast Butler In Overtime Thriller
- W. Basketball. Three Former Irish Named to 2017-20 USA National Team Pool
- W. Soccer. Yu Named Scholar All-American
- Football. Mike McGlinchey Named 101st Consensus All-American In School History
- M. Lacrosse. Notre Dame Announces Details For Annual NDLaxTV National Coaching Clinic
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Indiana - Five Things To Know
- Football. Quenton Nelson Named 34th Unanimous All-American In School History
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ✅ 7️⃣ games with over 💯 rush yards ✅ 9️⃣ TDs ✅ 8️⃣5️⃣-yard TD vs. USC @NDFootball's Josh Adams was named the Of… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 57 minutes ago
- Time to hoop with the Hoosiers. The #CrossroadsClassic tips off at 2:30 p.m. ET when @NDmbb faces Indiana. 📺 FOX… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- And the winner is... Check out all the award 🏆 winners from @NDFootball's annual awards show, Echoes. ⤵️… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- Out with the old. Tumbling in with the new. Send a volley cheer on high because @NDCheerTeam's new uniforms will… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 hours ago
- Welcome to Indiana basketball. @NDmbb heads to Indianapolis to take on the rival Hoosiers at 2:30 p.m. ET for the… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 hours ago