Aug 31, 2012, 9:33 AM EDT
Have you ever wondered what the life of a Notre Dame student-athlete looks like during the summer? Of course it’s filled with diligent preparation for the upcoming season including weight training and conditioning. But often overlooked is the student-athlete’s opportunity to spend time at home with family and friends. This is the first of a two-part post that will highlight how Irish volleyball players Andie Olsen, Marie Roof, Hilary Eppink, and Maggie Brindock, spent their summers away from South Bend and their preparation for the season.
Andie Olsen: The junior middle blocker took time to see two of the summer’s hottest movies – The Amazing Spiderman and The Dark Knight Rises – both of which she highly recommends. When it comes to volleyball, Olsen says that “doing a lot of mental preparation as well as [remaining] committed to our goals for the season” is a large part of the offseason that includes double sessions of lifting weights and cardio.
Marie Roof: One of two seniors on the 2012 Irish squad, Roof used part of the summer to road trip to several concerts with teammates including Dave Matthews Band, Kenny Chesney, and Tim McGraw. She also ventured to Silver Lake in St. Joe, Mich. to enjoy the sun and play beach volleyball. “It’s going to be a good year for the Irish,” Roof explains. “We have been preparing since our season ended last fall. The team has been working very hard in the weight room and in the gym.”
Hilary Eppink: Notre Dame’s other senior, Eppink, spent time over the summer on a family vacation to Siesta Key, Fla. where she parasailed and enjoyed the beach. “Mentally, I’ve been thinking about enjoying the game and having fun with my last season of college volleyball. I’m so pumped for our upcoming season. We have a lot to prove.”
Maggie Brindock: The junior setter from Rockwall, Texas took time to relax on her family vacation to Hilton Head, S.C. at the end of May. “We had beautiful weather,” Brindock explained. “Our favorite thing to do as a family is to hang out and enjoy each other’s company on the beach. This was a great part of my summer!” Brindock also helped work the Notre Dame volleyball camp along with teammate Andrea McHugh. During this time, she was able to enjoy an event filled week back on campus.
Check back for the second post updating you on the squad’s summer activities!
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Volleyball Unveils 2018 Schedule
- M. Golf. Two Irish Golfers Named to All-ACC Academic Team
- Track & Field. Harris Named First Team Academic All-American
- Football. WATCH: Freshmen Move In
- W. Golf. Irish Trio Earn 2018 All-ACC Academic Team Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Brauer Signs With South Carolina Stingrays
- W. Soccer. Challenging 2018 Schedule Announced For Women's Soccer
- W. Basketball. Women's Basketball Nominated for Three ESPYS
- Track & Field. Irish Set To Compete At USA Track & Field Championships
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Announce Incoming Class
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ✔️ ACC All-American 📚 ✔️ @NotreDame theology grad 🎓 ✔️ NCAA Outdoor Championships competitor 👟 Now, @NDXCTF's Je… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 51 minutes ago
- RT for a chance to win! ☝️ night at the @MorrisInnND ✌️ @NDmbb tickets 🎟 When you come to campus to catch the Iri… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 hours ago
- 9️⃣ new skaters, 1️⃣ stellar freshman class. Meet the new @NDHockey student-athletes you'll love watching on the i… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 5 hours ago
- The #NDFamily is everywhere! 🇪🇸 As @NDLacrosse took in the sights of Madrid, @NotreDame alum Matthew Kineen taught… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 20 hours ago
- 🏀 Best Team ☑️ @ndwbb 🏀 Best Moment ☑️ @ndwbb 🏀 Best Play ☑️ @ndwbb Yep, you know who we're voting for. Give… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 22 hours ago