Sep 3, 2012, 9:29 AM EDT
Sophomore right side hitter Toni Alugbue and the Notre Dame volleyball team are champions following Sunday’s three game sweep over Eastern Kentucky at the Purcell Pavilion. The win capped off three consecutive Irish victories during the Shamrock Invitational in which UAB and the University of Buffalo also competed.
Named to the all-tournament team were setter Maggie Brindock, opposite side hitter Jeni Houser, and tournament MVP Toni Alugbue. The Irish now stand with a record of 4-2 heading into this weekend’s tournament at the Galen Center on the campus of USC.
Notre Dame made its home debut Friday night against Buffalo with over 1,000 spectators in attendance. After losing a close first set 25-23, the Irish battled back to win the next three and solidify their momentum heading into matches against UAB and Eastern Kentucky. Alugbue was especially strong on the attack, tallying 49 kills during the three game stretch.
Each match seemed to present Notre Dame with new opportunities to learn and grow as a team. Against Buffalo on Friday, that meant maintaining composure and limiting costly unforced errors while trailing early. On Saturday, it meant handling pressure against UAB’s forceful front line that kept all three of Notre Dame’s winning sets within two points. And finally, during Sunday’s tournament-clinching sweep over Eastern Kentucky, that meant getting young players involved in the action as four players saw the floor for the first time this season.
Two tournaments, six games, four hard earned victories. It’s only the beginning of the 2012 season, but Notre Dame is poised to build upon its early season lessons and success.
- Softball. Irish Strikeout Cancer With Arkansas
- W. Lacrosse. Fortunato Named Tewaaraton Award Nominee
- Track. Irish Conclude Day One of Penn Relays
- Baseball. Irish & Blue Devils Play A Pair Friday
- W. Tennis. Irish Fall To Clemson In Second Round Of ACC Championship
- M. Tennis. Irish Fall In 4-3 Heartbreaker To Louisville At ACC Championship
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Rally Not Enough Against Eagles
- M. Soccer. Irish Take Pitch For Annual Clash With Mexico On Friday
- Baseball. Duke Visits For Pivotal League Series
- W. Soccer. Irish Slated To Face Off With Mexico In Annual Spring Finale
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘ @NDSoftball is on a mission to fight pediatric cancer. Coach Gumpf's daughter Tatum is a survivor. Hear Tatum's… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 hours ago
- That #FridayFeeling! ☀️ 15 Days Until Summer 🏈 120 Days Until College Football ☘ 127 Days Until Kickoff in ND Stad… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 hours ago
- 🏈 #TBT to 2016 Ronnie Stanley & Will Fuller became @NDFootball's 65th & 66th 1st round NFL draft picks (3rd all-ti… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 22 hours ago
- ☘ 300 CLUB Congrats, @NDWomensLax goalie Sam Giacolone on her 300th career save during ACC Championships. Sam is… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- ⚾️ IRISH BLANK EASTERN MICHIGAN Matt Vierling scored 2 runs and 3 RBI in @NDBaseball's 5-0 victory. 📽 Highlights https://t.co/evwnYZL6H3 1 day ago