Sep 6, 2012, 6:00 PM EDT
Welcome back to another look into the lives of Notre Dame Volleyball! Last week, Andie Olsen, Marie Roof, Hilary Eppink, and Maggie Brindock were the featured student-athletes as they shared how they spent their summers away from campus. In this week’s edition, Andrea McHugh, Meg Vonderhaar, and Toni Alugbue provide the inside scoop on their summer experiences.
Andrea McHugh: One of Notre Dame’s most versatile players, Andrea visited Maui with her family over the summer. “Whenever my family and I go on trips, my dad always makes sure that we have plenty of things to do. We had surfing lessons, went to two luaus, and even went snorkeling.” Andrea also had the great privilege of interning with FCA Volleyball where she helped serve as a leader for more than 700 high school athletes in California. “It absolutely changed my life in so many ways. It was such a blessing to be a part of the camp and help minister and mentor to those athletes.”
Meg Vonderhaar: The sophomore outside hitter and Wheaton, Ill. native took advantage of time away from school to enjoy America’s pastime at historic Wrigley Field. “Earlier this summer, a friend of mine organized a Chicago-area ND event. We all got tickets together to a Chicago Cubs game! It was a lot of fun and great way to experience the city.” Meg also spent a week in Duck, N.C. with her family. “We don’t have the opportunity to have the whole family together often, so that week is one I will always remember!”
Toni Alugbue: The sophomore outside hitter made the most of her time away from Notre Dame, even winning a beauty pageant in her home state of California. Toni especially enjoyed spending time outdoors with family and friends during her five weeks back home. “I love anything barbecued. But this summer I developed a love for Thai food!”
Notre Dame will resume action tomorrow in Los Angeles as they participate in the USC Invitational. The Irish will face Cal Poly Friday and two ranked opponents Saturday in No. 17 San Diego and No. 5 USC.
- W. Soccer. Irish Among Early Top 10
- Monogram Club. Monogram Club To Host Riehle Open On The Road At Stanford
- W. Lacrosse. Ortega Named All-World; Team USA Claims Silver
- W. Lacrosse. Incoming Freshmen Play for World Championship on Sat.
- W. Swimming. Irish Stars Thrive On International Swimming Stage
- W. Golf. Cool, Confident Hamilton Matures in Wyndham Cup Debut
- W. Volleyball. How To Watch Irish Volleyball Matches In 2015
- W. Soccer. Irish, ACC Release Expanded Broadcast Schedule
- M. Golf. Irish Earn A 2015 GCAA Team Academic Award
- Monogram Club. First Person: Danielle Green's ESPY Moment
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- #BACK2BACK 🏀@NDwbb student-athlete named @WNBA Rookie of the Month For 2nd-straight month. June:Achonwa July:Loyd http://t.co/tB6CwWmT58 52 minutes ago
- 3 of the top 5 come from @theACC as @NDMenSoccer checks in at #4. Do you have your tix? BUY: UND.com/BuyTickets http://t.co/25gFuR9VwX 1 hour ago
- RT @Brewers: Craig Counsell played for Pat Murphy at the University of Notre Dame (1989-92). Now they reunite as @MLB managers. http://t.co… 1 hour ago
- EMMA REANEY American Record Holder:✔️ NCAA Champion:✔️ ND Graduate:✔️ Caterpillar?🐛🐛🐛🐛🐛🐛🐛 twitter.com/ndsportsblogge… 7 hours ago
- Two @NDBaseball alums. Managing two MLB teams. On Monday night they'll face off... WE HAVE NO CLUE WHO TO ROOT FOR http://t.co/zj8bt6n7bx 1 day ago