Sep 10, 2012, 9:55 PM EDT
When the Notre Dame volleyball team arrived on the campus of USC prior to last weekend’s tournament, head coach Debbie Brown was stepping into familiar territory. From 1976-1977, then Debbie Landreth led her Trojan squad over two seasons to an astonishing 72-1 record that included back-to-back national titles. Since 2008, Brown’s name and number have hung from the rafters of the Galen Center, cementing the mark she had on the program during her time as a player at USC.
The 5-foot-8 outside hitter and two-time All-American received the Mikasa Award as the nation’s top overall player during both of her seasons at Southern Cal. To this day, she is remembered as one of the all-time greats at the position despite playing just two seasons for the Trojans. Brown left USC before her junior season to train with the U.S. National Team before eventually completing her degree in Physical Education from Arizona State University.
The trip certainly brought back inspiring memories for Coach Brown as she led her Irish team to a 1-2 record over the course of the two-day tournament. After Friday’s 3-0 sweep against Cal Poly, Notre Dame fought valiantly in Saturday’s double header against two ranked foes, including No. 5 USC. Despite the setbacks, the Irish competed strongly and nearly upset No. 17 San Diego in the first five-set match of the season. For her efforts, sophomore Toni Alugbue was again named to the BIG EAST Weekly Honor Roll after collecting a career best 22 kills against San Diego.
Notre Dame will return to Purcell Pavilion this weekend as the team looks to improve upon its four close losses on the season, all of which have come against ranked opponents. The Irish will face Xavier on Friday, Loyola Marymount on Saturday, and Kansas on Sunday as part of the Golden Dome Invitational.
- Softball. Irish Resume With Wildcats In Evanston
- M. Lacrosse. Wynne Receives ACC Player Of The Week Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Bjork And Petersen Share MVP Honors
- W. Tennis. Irish Drop Season Finale To Clemson, 6-1
- M. Tennis. Hagar Provides A Bright Spot In 5-2 Loss To Wake Forest
- Softball. Virginia Sweeps Irish With 10-6 Sunday Win
- Track. Irish Close Record-Setting Day at Baylor
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Earn No. 4 Seed In ACC Tournament
- M. Golf. Golfers Conclude ACCs in 10th
- Football. Sunday Brunch: Irish Football ‘Process’ Ongoing
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Anna Rohrer ran her 1st 10K in April. She set ACC & @NDXCTF records. Ran fastest 10K of 2017 in the World. Donate… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 hour ago
- ☘ 765 Wins at ND 🏆 2001 @NCAA Champ 🏀 Naismith Hall of Famer Coach McGraw discusses her @ndwbb journey. Donate:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 hours ago
- The Man. The Myth. The Legend. 1988 NCAA title team coach Lou Holtz looks back at his @NDFootball career. Donate:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 hours ago
- 🏅 2 @ACCTrackField Titles ☘ @NDXCTF Record in 800m Jessica Harris shines in the 2017 Track & Field season. Donate… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 hours ago
- What's it like to compete in the Olympics? @NDRowing's FIRST Olympic Gold Medalist Amanda Polk knows! Watch/Donat… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 7 hours ago