Sep 10, 2012, 9:55 PM EST
When the Notre Dame volleyball team arrived on the campus of USC prior to last weekend’s tournament, head coach Debbie Brown was stepping into familiar territory. From 1976-1977, then Debbie Landreth led her Trojan squad over two seasons to an astonishing 72-1 record that included back-to-back national titles. Since 2008, Brown’s name and number have hung from the rafters of the Galen Center, cementing the mark she had on the program during her time as a player at USC.
The 5-foot-8 outside hitter and two-time All-American received the Mikasa Award as the nation’s top overall player during both of her seasons at Southern Cal. To this day, she is remembered as one of the all-time greats at the position despite playing just two seasons for the Trojans. Brown left USC before her junior season to train with the U.S. National Team before eventually completing her degree in Physical Education from Arizona State University.
The trip certainly brought back inspiring memories for Coach Brown as she led her Irish team to a 1-2 record over the course of the two-day tournament. After Friday’s 3-0 sweep against Cal Poly, Notre Dame fought valiantly in Saturday’s double header against two ranked foes, including No. 5 USC. Despite the setbacks, the Irish competed strongly and nearly upset No. 17 San Diego in the first five-set match of the season. For her efforts, sophomore Toni Alugbue was again named to the BIG EAST Weekly Honor Roll after collecting a career best 22 kills against San Diego.
Notre Dame will return to Purcell Pavilion this weekend as the team looks to improve upon its four close losses on the season, all of which have come against ranked opponents. The Irish will face Xavier on Friday, Loyola Marymount on Saturday, and Kansas on Sunday as part of the Golden Dome Invitational.
- Swimming & Diving. #13/18 Irish Remain In The Hunt At OSU Fall Invite
- M. Ice Hockey. Morrison Tallies Overtime Winner As #4 Irish Down RPI 1-0
- Football. #8 Irish Hold Off Midshipmen, 24-17
- W. Soccer. How Sweet It Is: Irish Prepared to Face Baylor
- M. Ice Hockey. 2019 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic Set For Notre Dame Stadium
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish Begin NCAA Journey Sunday Against #20 Wisconsin
- W. Soccer. Irish Use Penalty Kicks to Eliminate No. 2-Seeded Aggies
- Swimming & Diving. #13/18 Irish Off To Strong Start In Columbus
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Decimates Tar Heels In Straight-Set Sweep
- M. Ice Hockey. #4 Irish Down RPI 4-1 For Sixth Straight Win
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- No. 8️⃣ @NDFootball took down Navy in the final home game of the 2017 season at Notre Dame Stadium. #GoIrish https://t.co/QQUR9IWSog 6 hours ago
- Celebrating Senior Day the best way we know how, on the field with our friends and family. #GoIrish https://t.co/ItoEJgeRWd 7 hours ago
- That’ll do it from Notre Dame Stadium, where @NDFootball defeats Navy, 24-17! Next up, Stanford. #GoIrish https://t.co/9ytOGrfW8p 9 hours ago
- Proud to stand with our friends from the Naval Academy during their alma mater. Thank you, always, for your servic… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 9 hours ago
- Gold always looks best in the fourth quarter. #GoIrish https://t.co/vbQmCNfrOF 9 hours ago