Sep 10, 2012, 9:55 PM EDT
When the Notre Dame volleyball team arrived on the campus of USC prior to last weekend’s tournament, head coach Debbie Brown was stepping into familiar territory. From 1976-1977, then Debbie Landreth led her Trojan squad over two seasons to an astonishing 72-1 record that included back-to-back national titles. Since 2008, Brown’s name and number have hung from the rafters of the Galen Center, cementing the mark she had on the program during her time as a player at USC.
The 5-foot-8 outside hitter and two-time All-American received the Mikasa Award as the nation’s top overall player during both of her seasons at Southern Cal. To this day, she is remembered as one of the all-time greats at the position despite playing just two seasons for the Trojans. Brown left USC before her junior season to train with the U.S. National Team before eventually completing her degree in Physical Education from Arizona State University.
The trip certainly brought back inspiring memories for Coach Brown as she led her Irish team to a 1-2 record over the course of the two-day tournament. After Friday’s 3-0 sweep against Cal Poly, Notre Dame fought valiantly in Saturday’s double header against two ranked foes, including No. 5 USC. Despite the setbacks, the Irish competed strongly and nearly upset No. 17 San Diego in the first five-set match of the season. For her efforts, sophomore Toni Alugbue was again named to the BIG EAST Weekly Honor Roll after collecting a career best 22 kills against San Diego.
Notre Dame will return to Purcell Pavilion this weekend as the team looks to improve upon its four close losses on the season, all of which have come against ranked opponents. The Irish will face Xavier on Friday, Loyola Marymount on Saturday, and Kansas on Sunday as part of the Golden Dome Invitational.
- Fencing. Three Former Irish Fencers Pick Up Team Medals At Senior World Championships
- W. Lacrosse. Women's Lacrosse Continues Academic Success
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Inside The Stadium
- M. Basketball. Select-A-Seat Returns August 5
- M. Golf. Men's Golf Unveils 2017-18 Schedule
- Softball. Cassidy Whidden (B.A. '15, M.Ed. '17) Returns To Irish Softball Fold
- W. Tennis. Women's Tennis Welcomes Back Dasso ('01) As Assistant Coach
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Fan Experience
- M. Basketball. Men’s Basketball - Summer Headlines
- Swimming & Diving. World Championships Underway For Plaschka
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘ When you make it to ND Stadium... You'll find signage of historic @NDFootball program covers in the concourse.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 hours ago
- 🇺🇸 2x Olympian ☘ 4x NCAA Champ 🌎 #1 World Ranking Lee Kiefer ('17) leaves her @NDFencing legacy. FULL VIDEO:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 hours ago
- ☘ Navigating Notre Dame Stadium just got a whole lot easier. New signage in the concourse will lead you to your se… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 19 hours ago
- 🏈Countdown to Kickoff: 39 Days #39 Braxston Banks played for @NDFootball’s 1988 NCAA title team. He scored the 2n… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 21 hours ago
- ☘ The view of Notre Dame Stadium from the video board! Ready for 80,000+ @NDFootball fans. #NDBiggerThanBrick https://t.co/lK6hUMxrTG 1 day ago