Sep 12, 2012, 8:11 PM EST
While Notre Dame might not leave the BIG EAST Conference until the 2015-16 season, looking at the current Fighting Irish coaching staff reveals many ties to the university’s future home – the Atlantic Coast Conference.
- Before taking over as the men’s basketball coach at Delaware in 1995, Brey served as an assistant at Duke from 1987-95.
- Alongside Brey on the Irish bench, assistant coaches Rod Balanis and Anthony Solomon spent their collegiate playing days at Georgia Tech and Virginia, respectively. While with the Yellow Jackets, Balanis earned Atlantic Coast Conference Academic Honor Roll recognition. Meanwhile, Solomon was an assistant at his alma mater from 1994-98, before moving on to Clemson, where he was the Tigers’ assistant athletic director for basketball operations and later, assistant coach for a brief time, before coming to Notre Dame in 2000.
- Mik Aoki spent seven seasons at Boston College, including four as the Eagles’ head baseball coach.
- Kevin Corrigan, the Irish men’s lacrosse coach since 1988, is a graduate of Virginia, where he played three seasons as a midfielder. He returned to Charlottesville as an assistant coach, before taking over the program at Notre Dame.
- On the women’s lacrosse side, second-year head coach Christine Halfpenny is also an ACC graduate. While studying health and physical education at Virginia Tech, Halfpenny was a four-year letterwinner and two-time member of the athletic director’s honor roll. She later returned to Blacksburg, Va. as an assistant coach, before spending three seasons as an assistant at Duke.
- Women’s cross country coach Tim Connelly (’83) served as an assistant coach at Syracuse, before he returned to Notre Dame in 1988. (Syracuse will join the ACC, along with Pittsburgh, on July 1, 2013).
- Like Connelly, long time Irish men’s swimming head coach Tim Welsh spent some time in central New York. He was an assistant with the Orange from 1974-77.
- Men’s golf coach Jim Kubinski was as an assistant coach at Duke from 2003-04.
Aside from the connections between our current coaches and ACC universities, there are numerous other ties between Notre Dame and its new conference home. In 1987, Gene Corrigan left his post as athletic director to take over as the ACC commissioner, a position he held for a decade. In 2005, Notre Dame provost and history professor Nathan O. Hatch was appointed the 13th president of Wake Forest University. Dr. Hatch spoke at this afternoon’s press conference at Kenan Stadium in Chapel Hill, N.C.
Whenever Notre Dame begins play in the ACC, whether that’s in 2015-16 or perhaps sometimes sooner, the Fighting Irish will face their share of new challenges in one of college athletics’ most competitive conferences. Geographically, Indiana is out in left field, but given the number of coaches who launched their careers in ACC territory, expect some of the Irish to feel right at home on the east coast.
- Football. McGlinchey, Nelson Named First-Team FWAA All-Americans
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Up To #3 In Both Polls
- W. Tennis. Robinson Snares First Career Professional Crown
- Cross Country. Irish Signee Dylan Jacobs Wins Foot Locker National Championship
- Track & Field. Irish Signee Dylan Jacobs Wins Foot Locker National Championship
- Football. McGlinchey, Nelson Named First-Team AP All-Americans
- M. Golf. Alum Mark Baldwin Excels at Web.com Tour Qualifying
- M. Basketball. Replay: No Ho-Hum Homecoming for Brey
- M. Ice Hockey. #4 Irish Remain Perfect In B1G Play With 6-2 Win Over #12 Wisconsin
- M. Basketball. Offensive Onslaught Propels Irish To 92-68 Win At Delaware
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 6️⃣ first-quarter scorers gave @ndwbb a lead they wouldn't relinquish in a win on the road at Penn on Saturday.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 7 hours ago
- Go behind-the-scenes of @NDmbb's win at Delaware in the latest episode of Irish Access Extra! #GoIrish https://t.co/L3egE1azLU 8 hours ago
- After sweeping No. 1️⃣2️⃣ Wisconsin, No. 3️⃣ @NDHockey is the only team in the country without a loss on the road.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 9 hours ago
- For @NDFencing's senior captains Jonah Shainberg and Hazem Khazbak, faith is what builds championship-level bonds.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 10 hours ago
- Matt Farrell's game-high 24 points led @NDmbb to victory in @NDMikeBrey's return to Delaware, the site of his first… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 11 hours ago