Sep 12, 2012, 8:11 PM EDT
While Notre Dame might not leave the BIG EAST Conference until the 2015-16 season, looking at the current Fighting Irish coaching staff reveals many ties to the university’s future home – the Atlantic Coast Conference.
- Before taking over as the men’s basketball coach at Delaware in 1995, Brey served as an assistant at Duke from 1987-95.
- Alongside Brey on the Irish bench, assistant coaches Rod Balanis and Anthony Solomon spent their collegiate playing days at Georgia Tech and Virginia, respectively. While with the Yellow Jackets, Balanis earned Atlantic Coast Conference Academic Honor Roll recognition. Meanwhile, Solomon was an assistant at his alma mater from 1994-98, before moving on to Clemson, where he was the Tigers’ assistant athletic director for basketball operations and later, assistant coach for a brief time, before coming to Notre Dame in 2000.
- Mik Aoki spent seven seasons at Boston College, including four as the Eagles’ head baseball coach.
- Kevin Corrigan, the Irish men’s lacrosse coach since 1988, is a graduate of Virginia, where he played three seasons as a midfielder. He returned to Charlottesville as an assistant coach, before taking over the program at Notre Dame.
- On the women’s lacrosse side, second-year head coach Christine Halfpenny is also an ACC graduate. While studying health and physical education at Virginia Tech, Halfpenny was a four-year letterwinner and two-time member of the athletic director’s honor roll. She later returned to Blacksburg, Va. as an assistant coach, before spending three seasons as an assistant at Duke.
- Women’s cross country coach Tim Connelly (’83) served as an assistant coach at Syracuse, before he returned to Notre Dame in 1988. (Syracuse will join the ACC, along with Pittsburgh, on July 1, 2013).
- Like Connelly, long time Irish men’s swimming head coach Tim Welsh spent some time in central New York. He was an assistant with the Orange from 1974-77.
- Men’s golf coach Jim Kubinski was as an assistant coach at Duke from 2003-04.
Aside from the connections between our current coaches and ACC universities, there are numerous other ties between Notre Dame and its new conference home. In 1987, Gene Corrigan left his post as athletic director to take over as the ACC commissioner, a position he held for a decade. In 2005, Notre Dame provost and history professor Nathan O. Hatch was appointed the 13th president of Wake Forest University. Dr. Hatch spoke at this afternoon’s press conference at Kenan Stadium in Chapel Hill, N.C.
Whenever Notre Dame begins play in the ACC, whether that’s in 2015-16 or perhaps sometimes sooner, the Fighting Irish will face their share of new challenges in one of college athletics’ most competitive conferences. Geographically, Indiana is out in left field, but given the number of coaches who launched their careers in ACC territory, expect some of the Irish to feel right at home on the east coast.
- Track. Irish Turn In Day One At Georgia Tech, Virginia
- W. Golf. Irish In Sixth Place Midway Through ACC Women's Golf Championship
- Baseball. No. 25 Notre Dame Baseball Shuts Out NC State, 2-0, Friday Night
- W. Tennis. No. 33 Irish Fall To No. 21 Clemson, 5-0
- W. Swimming. Mike Litzinger Named Irish Women's Swimming and Diving Coach
- M. Tennis. No. 37 Irish Fall To No. 12 Wake Forest, 4-3
- Softball. #25 Irish Take On Syracuse In Fifth Annual Strikeout Cancer Series
- W. Basketball. Madison Cable Approved for Final Season of Eligibility with Notre Dame Women's Basketball Team in 2015-16
- Baseball. Irish Extra: Smoyer Takes Next Step and Irish Baseball Benefits
- W. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: The Challenge Begins Anew for Irish Women's Hoops Program
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- HALF-A-💯! Cortney Fortunato became 5th @NDWomensLax player to score 50 goals in a year in Thursday's game vs #7 NW. http://t.co/IAU2mUfWhI 7 hours ago
- Deanna Gumpf's (@NDsoftball HC) mission is to fight pediatric cancer. Her team's Strikeout Cancer Weekend does that. http://t.co/F9gnpnhigJ 8 hours ago
- The weather outside is weather. Perfect. Weather. @NDBaseball is back on the diamond tonight at 6pm on @ESPN3. http://t.co/IzhZrKgQxn 12 hours ago
- You never know what will happen at @NotreDameRelay. Learn more about tonight's event (6pm-12): ntrda.me/RelaySchedule http://t.co/A8STh2pXs9 15 hours ago
- School doesn't stop at Commencement ACC Commish John Swofford honored 4 ND student-athletes w/postgrad scholarships. http://t.co/O9M99T31sZ 18 hours ago