Sep 12, 2012, 4:31 PM EDT
The Notre Dame men’s cross country team last won the BIG EAST Championship in 2005. That drought will end this year if senior Jeremy Rae has anything to say about it.
Rae’s season kicks off this Friday with the National Catholic Championships, located on the Burke Golf Course on the Notre Dame campus.
Rae expressed his excitement for the invitational meet, which Notre Dame won last season. “It’s tough to tell how the team is looking based solely off workouts,” Rae said. “This race will be our first real test, but it will be exciting to see how we match up with some of the competitive teams from across the country.”
When asked about his anticipation for the coming season, Jeremy was very clear about his expectations. “Our goal is to win the BIG EAST,” Rae said. Achieving this objective will be no easy task; with four teams ranked in the Top 25, including the 25th ranked Irish, the BIG EAST is one of the nation’s elite conferences for cross country.
Yet, as Friday’s meet approaches, Rae expressed a positive outlook about the team’s training. “It’s been nice to get the distance in,” the senior said. “Everyone is getting consistent and doing the little things that are necessary to prepare and compete in this conference.”
An All-BIG EAST runner and national champion in the indoor distance medley, Rae remains humble and committed as he prepares for the season. This year, as one of the team’s few seniors, he serves as a leader, which he feels has compelled him to work even harder. “Being a leader has motivated me to get out there and run hard each day to set a good example for the team,” he said.
If his teammates do follow his example, the possibility of a BIG EAST Championship may soon become reality. With Jeremy Rae leading the way, the Fighting Irish hope to be running onward to many victories throughout the season.
- Softball. Irish Freshmen Rule The Field At Melissa Cook Vs. Michigan St.
- W. Soccer. Spring Opener With Purdue Moved Up To Friday
- Swimming & Diving. Strong Start for No. 19 Notre Dame Men's Swimming and Diving at NCAA Championships
- M. Ice Hockey. NCAA Northeast Regional Awaits
- Swimming & Diving. No. 19 Notre Dame Men's Swimming and Diving Set to Compete at NCAA Championships
- W. Soccer. Yu Heads To Camp With U-23 Women's National Team
- Fencing. Keys To The Meet: 2017 NCAA Fencing Championships
- Swimming & Diving. Inside Irish: 2017 NCAA Division I Women's Swimming and Diving Championships
- Baseball. Irish Walk By Huskies
- Softball. Irish Mark Return To Melissa Cook Stadium Vs. MSU
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘ Winning With Style! Michigan State goes down as @NDSoftball walks-off in home opener. ND 11 | MSU 3 https://t.co/vgKqj4gWpR 13 hours ago
- ☘ IRISH vs. BUCKEYES Watch #2 @NDlacrosse take on #4 Ohio State at home. Saturday | 2pm TIX:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 15 hours ago
- 💯 Fresh Jerseys ☀️ Bright Sky ☘ It's Game Day! @NDSoftball kicks off its home opener. ND vs. MSU | 4:30pm 📺… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 19 hours ago
- ⚾️ IRISH WIN HOME OPENER @NDBaseball recorded two 5-run innings in its 12-1 win over Northern Illinois. 📽 Highlig… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- ☘ IRISH DOMINATE ACC FENCING Men's & Women's @NDFencing teams combine for 4 of 6 ACC Fencer of the Year awards. und.com/sports/c-fenc/… 1 day ago