Sep 12, 2012, 4:31 PM EDT
The Notre Dame men’s cross country team last won the BIG EAST Championship in 2005. That drought will end this year if senior Jeremy Rae has anything to say about it.
Rae’s season kicks off this Friday with the National Catholic Championships, located on the Burke Golf Course on the Notre Dame campus.
Rae expressed his excitement for the invitational meet, which Notre Dame won last season. “It’s tough to tell how the team is looking based solely off workouts,” Rae said. “This race will be our first real test, but it will be exciting to see how we match up with some of the competitive teams from across the country.”
When asked about his anticipation for the coming season, Jeremy was very clear about his expectations. “Our goal is to win the BIG EAST,” Rae said. Achieving this objective will be no easy task; with four teams ranked in the Top 25, including the 25th ranked Irish, the BIG EAST is one of the nation’s elite conferences for cross country.
Yet, as Friday’s meet approaches, Rae expressed a positive outlook about the team’s training. “It’s been nice to get the distance in,” the senior said. “Everyone is getting consistent and doing the little things that are necessary to prepare and compete in this conference.”
An All-BIG EAST runner and national champion in the indoor distance medley, Rae remains humble and committed as he prepares for the season. This year, as one of the team’s few seniors, he serves as a leader, which he feels has compelled him to work even harder. “Being a leader has motivated me to get out there and run hard each day to set a good example for the team,” he said.
If his teammates do follow his example, the possibility of a BIG EAST Championship may soon become reality. With Jeremy Rae leading the way, the Fighting Irish hope to be running onward to many victories throughout the season.
- Swimming & Diving. World Championships Underway For Plaschka
- Fencing. Nelip Snares Silver At FIE Senior World Championships
- Bigger Than Brick. Big Improvements in Game Day Experience
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Recycling Benches
- W. Soccer. Jacobs to Compete with U-23 Women's National Team in Seattle
- Bigger Than Brick. `Going Green' at Notre Dame Stadium
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Comparisons
- Track & Field. Murray Speaks to Write on Sports Campers
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick | Looking Around
- M. Ice Hockey. Notre Dame Sends Contingent to NHL Development Camps
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🏈 We've revamped the concession stands at Notre Dame Stadium. 🔹 New Look 🔹 New Food 🔹 New TV Monitors Here's a sn… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 13 hours ago
- ☘ What's new at ND Stadium? Video Board Concessions Stands Hall of Fame Display Check out the new fan amenities: und.com/sports/biggert… 21 hours ago
- 🏈 ND FACT The old Notre Dame Stadium benches have been repurposed in the stadium & 3 adjoining buildings.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- ☘️ NEW SEATING! We decked out ND Stadium with new benches in time for the 2017 season. #NDBiggerThanBrick https://t.co/uUCasQHn3D 1 day ago
- 🏈 STADIUM UPGRADES 100% of the stadium seating has been repurposed or recycled. Check out the new benches.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago