Sep 12, 2012, 4:31 PM EDT
The Notre Dame men’s cross country team last won the BIG EAST Championship in 2005. That drought will end this year if senior Jeremy Rae has anything to say about it.
Rae’s season kicks off this Friday with the National Catholic Championships, located on the Burke Golf Course on the Notre Dame campus.
Rae expressed his excitement for the invitational meet, which Notre Dame won last season. “It’s tough to tell how the team is looking based solely off workouts,” Rae said. “This race will be our first real test, but it will be exciting to see how we match up with some of the competitive teams from across the country.”
When asked about his anticipation for the coming season, Jeremy was very clear about his expectations. “Our goal is to win the BIG EAST,” Rae said. Achieving this objective will be no easy task; with four teams ranked in the Top 25, including the 25th ranked Irish, the BIG EAST is one of the nation’s elite conferences for cross country.
Yet, as Friday’s meet approaches, Rae expressed a positive outlook about the team’s training. “It’s been nice to get the distance in,” the senior said. “Everyone is getting consistent and doing the little things that are necessary to prepare and compete in this conference.”
An All-BIG EAST runner and national champion in the indoor distance medley, Rae remains humble and committed as he prepares for the season. This year, as one of the team’s few seniors, he serves as a leader, which he feels has compelled him to work even harder. “Being a leader has motivated me to get out there and run hard each day to set a good example for the team,” he said.
If his teammates do follow his example, the possibility of a BIG EAST Championship may soon become reality. With Jeremy Rae leading the way, the Fighting Irish hope to be running onward to many victories throughout the season.
- W. Soccer. Irish Set to Battle #4 Duke
- Football. Notre Dame-Michigan State Preview: Reminisce Then Rally
- M. Soccer. #1 Irish Break Competitive Bowling Green Spirit In 2-1 Win
- W. Volleyball. Five Favorite Photos Of The Week
- M. Golf. NCAA Connection Takes Irish Golfer to Haiti
- M. Ice Hockey. Evans To Captain Irish In 2017-18
- Football. Megaphone On The Line For Irish & Spartans
- W. Soccer. Jacobs Nets ACC Player of the Week Honor
- M. Soccer. #2 Irish And #19 Bowling Green Meet Tuesday At Alumni Stadium
- W. Volleyball. Fry Named ACC Volleyball Player Of The Week
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @NCAA: Connection made at college golf event leads Notre Dame junior Miguel Delgado to volunteer trip in Haiti: ntrda.me/2ydiHpi… 16 hours ago
- ☝️#1 @NDMenSoccer took on Bowling Green in a midweek tussle & stayed undefeated (6-0-0) with a 2-1 victory.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: Have 60 seconds? Then see the @NDSportsBlogger review the weekend in ND sports with highlights from @NDMenSoccer, @NDVo… 1 day ago
- LIGHT UP #1!!!! After a 5-0-0 start, @NDMenSoccer has ascended to #1 in the @UnitedCoaches Men's NCAA Soccer Poll!… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- Go INSIDE the locker room as @NDfootball dominated BC, 49-20, racking up 600+ yards of offense in the process.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago