Sep 12, 2012, 4:31 PM EDT
The Notre Dame men’s cross country team last won the BIG EAST Championship in 2005. That drought will end this year if senior Jeremy Rae has anything to say about it.
Rae’s season kicks off this Friday with the National Catholic Championships, located on the Burke Golf Course on the Notre Dame campus.
Rae expressed his excitement for the invitational meet, which Notre Dame won last season. “It’s tough to tell how the team is looking based solely off workouts,” Rae said. “This race will be our first real test, but it will be exciting to see how we match up with some of the competitive teams from across the country.”
When asked about his anticipation for the coming season, Jeremy was very clear about his expectations. “Our goal is to win the BIG EAST,” Rae said. Achieving this objective will be no easy task; with four teams ranked in the Top 25, including the 25th ranked Irish, the BIG EAST is one of the nation’s elite conferences for cross country.
Yet, as Friday’s meet approaches, Rae expressed a positive outlook about the team’s training. “It’s been nice to get the distance in,” the senior said. “Everyone is getting consistent and doing the little things that are necessary to prepare and compete in this conference.”
An All-BIG EAST runner and national champion in the indoor distance medley, Rae remains humble and committed as he prepares for the season. This year, as one of the team’s few seniors, he serves as a leader, which he feels has compelled him to work even harder. “Being a leader has motivated me to get out there and run hard each day to set a good example for the team,” he said.
If his teammates do follow his example, the possibility of a BIG EAST Championship may soon become reality. With Jeremy Rae leading the way, the Fighting Irish hope to be running onward to many victories throughout the season.
- Baseball. Notre Dame Wraps ACC Tournament Play
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Falls In First Round of NCAA Championships
- General News. Notre Dame Among Leaders in NCAA APR Four-Year Numbers
- M. Basketball. Irish Set To Face Oklahoma In Madison Square Garden
- Baseball. Irish Lose Lead Late, Fall to Miami
- Track & Field. Keys To The Meet: NCAA East Regionals
- Baseball. Tales From the Eck: A Blog by Collin Stoecker
- Track & Field. Alan Turner Will Not Return as Irish Cross Country/Track and Field Coach
- Baseball. Irish Land Three on All-ACC Teams
- Baseball. Tully, Irish Open ACC Tournament Play
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- It's about more than just world-class facilities -- and @NDMensGolf has the culture to match it. #GoIrish https://t.co/bBlsdZLxIk 10 hours ago
- Back to the Big Apple! 🍎🏀 @NDmbb is headed back to @TheGarden to face Oklahoma in the Jimmy V Men's Basketball Cla… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 11 hours ago
- ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ⬆️ That's how many Irish programs earned perfect Academic Progress Rate scores… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 12 hours ago
- 🏅 Midwest Assistant Coach of the Year 🏅 Player to Watch @NDMensTennis brought home ✌️ regional Intercollegiate Ten… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 13 hours ago
- “It is an honor to be a part of @usabasketball." @NDmbb head coach @NDMikeBrey is headed to the Olympic Training C… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 15 hours ago