Sep 12, 2012, 4:31 PM EST
The Notre Dame men’s cross country team last won the BIG EAST Championship in 2005. That drought will end this year if senior Jeremy Rae has anything to say about it.
Rae’s season kicks off this Friday with the National Catholic Championships, located on the Burke Golf Course on the Notre Dame campus.
Rae expressed his excitement for the invitational meet, which Notre Dame won last season. “It’s tough to tell how the team is looking based solely off workouts,” Rae said. “This race will be our first real test, but it will be exciting to see how we match up with some of the competitive teams from across the country.”
When asked about his anticipation for the coming season, Jeremy was very clear about his expectations. “Our goal is to win the BIG EAST,” Rae said. Achieving this objective will be no easy task; with four teams ranked in the Top 25, including the 25th ranked Irish, the BIG EAST is one of the nation’s elite conferences for cross country.
Yet, as Friday’s meet approaches, Rae expressed a positive outlook about the team’s training. “It’s been nice to get the distance in,” the senior said. “Everyone is getting consistent and doing the little things that are necessary to prepare and compete in this conference.”
An All-BIG EAST runner and national champion in the indoor distance medley, Rae remains humble and committed as he prepares for the season. This year, as one of the team’s few seniors, he serves as a leader, which he feels has compelled him to work even harder. “Being a leader has motivated me to get out there and run hard each day to set a good example for the team,” he said.
If his teammates do follow his example, the possibility of a BIG EAST Championship may soon become reality. With Jeremy Rae leading the way, the Fighting Irish hope to be running onward to many victories throughout the season.
- Baseball. Chance Of Rain Alters Tony Gwynn Classic Schedule
- W. Tennis. Irish Capitalize In 5-2 Win Over Purdue
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Have Everything To Play For At Boston University
- W. Basketball. Irish Welcome Eagles On Senior Night
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Battle Phoenix to Open Road Trip
- General News. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
- Fencing. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
- W. Soccer. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
- Football. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Thursday @ndwbb plays Boston College for a share of its 4th regular season ACC title. #TBT to ND's 81-70 win vs Du… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 14 minutes ago
- 🏀 Which NBA legend does @NDmbb's Elijah Burns want to meet? Get to know Elijah on Inside ND Basketball. 📺… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 20 hours ago
- 🏀 This week the @NDmbb assistant coaches are on the road recruiting. Practice is all Coach Brey. 👀@NDMikeBrey https://t.co/Tee1WaFZQq 1 day ago
- HALL OF FAME: One Step Away @ndwbb coach Muffet McGraw is a finalist for Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. und.com/sports/w-baskb… 1 day ago
- ☘️ @NDHockey Goalie Cal Petersen: 🏒 Tied for 1st in NCAA Shutouts. 💯 @Hockey_East Defensive Player of the Week. und.com/sports/m-hocke… 2 days ago