Sep 16, 2012, 5:05 PM EST
While I’m no sports historian, I think it’s safe to assume that Sept. 14-16, 2012, has to be one of the most successful weekends in the history of the Fighting Irish. From cross-country to soccer to football, it feels like Notre Dame has not stopped winning since Friday afternoon.
Here’s a recap of the highlights:
- Cross-Country: The Irish swept the 33rd Annual National Catholic Championship, claiming both team and individual crowns. In the five-mile race, the men’s squad finished first out of 34 teams. Senior Jeremy Rae paced the Irish as the top overall finisher in the field of 276 (24:16.0). In the women’s race, Notre Dame placed first among 35 teams, led by Rebecca Tracy‘s 17:11.8 5k, good for first among 265 runners.
- Women’s Soccer: In the BIG EAST opener on ESPNU, freshman Crystal Thomas and sophomore Lauren Bohaboy scored unassisted goals for the “Baby Irish,” as head coach Randy Waldrum‘s team notched a 2-1 victory against Louisville.
- Men’s Soccer: The Irish continued their perfect start to the 2012 season with a 2-0 win over Michigan State in the nightcap at Alumni Stadium. Harrison Shipp and Patrick Hodan scored the goals.
- Volleyball: In the team’s first match of the Golden Dome Invitational, Notre Dame beat Xavier in a five-set thriller at Purcell Pavilion.
- Men’s Tennis: The Irish picked up eight singles victories at Day 2 of the OFCC Invitational.
- Football: In a dominant road performance, Notre Dame’s strong defense held Michigan State to just a 50-yard field goal. With the 20-3 victory, the Fighting Irish improved to 3-0 for the first time since 2002.
- Women’s Soccer: Following up on the football team’s victory, the Irish women’s soccer team put up a touchdown’s (plus the extra point) worth of goals, crushing Cincinnati, 7-0 at Alumni Stadium. Elizabeth Tucker, Mandy Laddish, Katie Naughton, Crystal Thomas, Rebecca Twining, Cari Roccaro and Nicole Rodriguez all found the back of the net.
- Volleyball: The Irish rallied from a 1-0 deficit to defeat Kansas, 3-1 in the final match of the Golden Dome Invitational. The win snapped the Jayhawks’ nine-match winning streak.
- Men’s Soccer: In a closely contested battle with the Michigan Wolverines, Ryan Finley scored in the second overtime to give the Irish a 1-0 win and improve the team’s record to 7-0.
- Softball: In a fall exhibition game against IUPUI, the Irish put up 14 runs and cruised to an easy victory.
Not many disappointments this weekend. All in all, a very successful couple of days for Notre Dame athletics, and an exciting time to be a fan of the Fighting Irish.
- W. Tennis. Irish Sweep DH With 6-1 Win Over Bowling Green
- Track & Field. Harris Defends Title in Women's Mile to Close Out ACC Championships
- M. Basketball. Farrell's Heroics Give Irish Road Win At Wake Forest
- Baseball. LaManna, No. 30 Irish Walk-Off Against Purdue
- Fencing. #1 Irish Women Dominate ACC Individual Competition
- W. Lacrosse. Irish prepped to take on Elon
- M. Lacrosse. Strong Fourth Quarter Pushes No. 7 Notre Dame Past Richmond, 11-7
- W. Tennis. Irish Take ACC Match From Pitt, 4-0
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish Vie for Regular Season ACC Title on Sunday
- Softball. #25 Irish Close Day 2 At MNCC
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 💪 fourth quarter, 💪 @NDLacrosse win! The No. 7️⃣ Irish took down Richmond behind Brendan Gleason's three goals and… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 hours ago
- Game-winning bucket ➡️ Matt Farrell! @NDmbb downed Wake Forest behind 20-plus point efforts from Martinas Geben, M… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 5 hours ago
- The ✌️nd game of @NDWomensLax's homestand kicks off when the Irish host Elon, Sunday at 1 p.m. ET. #GoIrish und.com/sports/w-lacro… 6 hours ago
- ☘️🔥 Green jerseys, straight fire. Catch @NDHockey as they send off the senior class in their signature green jerse… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 7 hours ago
- ✅ Top-25 showdown ✅ Senior Day ✅ ACC 🏆 on the line No. 5 @ndwbb hosts No. 21 NC State as the Irish close out the r… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 8 hours ago