Sep 16, 2012, 5:05 PM EST
While I’m no sports historian, I think it’s safe to assume that Sept. 14-16, 2012, has to be one of the most successful weekends in the history of the Fighting Irish. From cross-country to soccer to football, it feels like Notre Dame has not stopped winning since Friday afternoon.
Here’s a recap of the highlights:
- Cross-Country: The Irish swept the 33rd Annual National Catholic Championship, claiming both team and individual crowns. In the five-mile race, the men’s squad finished first out of 34 teams. Senior Jeremy Rae paced the Irish as the top overall finisher in the field of 276 (24:16.0). In the women’s race, Notre Dame placed first among 35 teams, led by Rebecca Tracy‘s 17:11.8 5k, good for first among 265 runners.
- Women’s Soccer: In the BIG EAST opener on ESPNU, freshman Crystal Thomas and sophomore Lauren Bohaboy scored unassisted goals for the “Baby Irish,” as head coach Randy Waldrum‘s team notched a 2-1 victory against Louisville.
- Men’s Soccer: The Irish continued their perfect start to the 2012 season with a 2-0 win over Michigan State in the nightcap at Alumni Stadium. Harrison Shipp and Patrick Hodan scored the goals.
- Volleyball: In the team’s first match of the Golden Dome Invitational, Notre Dame beat Xavier in a five-set thriller at Purcell Pavilion.
- Men’s Tennis: The Irish picked up eight singles victories at Day 2 of the OFCC Invitational.
- Football: In a dominant road performance, Notre Dame’s strong defense held Michigan State to just a 50-yard field goal. With the 20-3 victory, the Fighting Irish improved to 3-0 for the first time since 2002.
- Women’s Soccer: Following up on the football team’s victory, the Irish women’s soccer team put up a touchdown’s (plus the extra point) worth of goals, crushing Cincinnati, 7-0 at Alumni Stadium. Elizabeth Tucker, Mandy Laddish, Katie Naughton, Crystal Thomas, Rebecca Twining, Cari Roccaro and Nicole Rodriguez all found the back of the net.
- Volleyball: The Irish rallied from a 1-0 deficit to defeat Kansas, 3-1 in the final match of the Golden Dome Invitational. The win snapped the Jayhawks’ nine-match winning streak.
- Men’s Soccer: In a closely contested battle with the Michigan Wolverines, Ryan Finley scored in the second overtime to give the Irish a 1-0 win and improve the team’s record to 7-0.
- Softball: In a fall exhibition game against IUPUI, the Irish put up 14 runs and cruised to an easy victory.
Not many disappointments this weekend. All in all, a very successful couple of days for Notre Dame athletics, and an exciting time to be a fan of the Fighting Irish.
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Indiana - Five Things To Know
- Football. Quenton Nelson Named 34th Unanimous All-American In School History
- M. Tennis. Irish On Tour: Pro Round-Up
- W. Volleyball. DeJarld Named AVCA Honorable Mention All-American
- W. Soccer. Yu Garners United Soccer Coaches Academic All-Region Honors
- Cheerleading. Notre Dame Leprechaun Tryout Information
- Swimming & Diving. Where The Irish Stand At The Break
- M. Tennis. Kempin, Lebedev Named Irish Men's Tennis Captains
- Football. Quenton Nelson Named First-Team Sporting News All-American
- Fencing. Irish Fencers Excel At December NAC
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Ranked victories ➕ program records ➕ NCAA qualifying times = stellar fall for @NDSwimDive! #GoIrish und.com/sports/c-swim/… 24 minutes ago
- 1️⃣ A valuable degree 🎓 2️⃣ Close to family 3️⃣ Elite, competitive basketball 🏀 @ndwbb met every one of @NatAchon… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- While at Notre Dame to speak about empowering female student athletes, @espnW's @SarahSpain and @LauraCGentile spok… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- 🏃💨 @NDXCTF breaks down Jake Dumford’s school record in the 1,000! Take a look 👀 at Jake’s feat! ⤵️ #GoIrish https://t.co/n9TfCf7i2K 3 hours ago
- Did you miss Monday's @MuffetMcGraw Radio Show presented by @Tire_Rack? Catch up now, @ndwbb fans! 🔗… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 hours ago