Sep 16, 2012, 5:05 PM EDT
While I’m no sports historian, I think it’s safe to assume that Sept. 14-16, 2012, has to be one of the most successful weekends in the history of the Fighting Irish. From cross-country to soccer to football, it feels like Notre Dame has not stopped winning since Friday afternoon.
Here’s a recap of the highlights:
- Cross-Country: The Irish swept the 33rd Annual National Catholic Championship, claiming both team and individual crowns. In the five-mile race, the men’s squad finished first out of 34 teams. Senior Jeremy Rae paced the Irish as the top overall finisher in the field of 276 (24:16.0). In the women’s race, Notre Dame placed first among 35 teams, led by Rebecca Tracy‘s 17:11.8 5k, good for first among 265 runners.
- Women’s Soccer: In the BIG EAST opener on ESPNU, freshman Crystal Thomas and sophomore Lauren Bohaboy scored unassisted goals for the “Baby Irish,” as head coach Randy Waldrum‘s team notched a 2-1 victory against Louisville.
- Men’s Soccer: The Irish continued their perfect start to the 2012 season with a 2-0 win over Michigan State in the nightcap at Alumni Stadium. Harrison Shipp and Patrick Hodan scored the goals.
- Volleyball: In the team’s first match of the Golden Dome Invitational, Notre Dame beat Xavier in a five-set thriller at Purcell Pavilion.
- Men’s Tennis: The Irish picked up eight singles victories at Day 2 of the OFCC Invitational.
- Football: In a dominant road performance, Notre Dame’s strong defense held Michigan State to just a 50-yard field goal. With the 20-3 victory, the Fighting Irish improved to 3-0 for the first time since 2002.
- Women’s Soccer: Following up on the football team’s victory, the Irish women’s soccer team put up a touchdown’s (plus the extra point) worth of goals, crushing Cincinnati, 7-0 at Alumni Stadium. Elizabeth Tucker, Mandy Laddish, Katie Naughton, Crystal Thomas, Rebecca Twining, Cari Roccaro and Nicole Rodriguez all found the back of the net.
- Volleyball: The Irish rallied from a 1-0 deficit to defeat Kansas, 3-1 in the final match of the Golden Dome Invitational. The win snapped the Jayhawks’ nine-match winning streak.
- Men’s Soccer: In a closely contested battle with the Michigan Wolverines, Ryan Finley scored in the second overtime to give the Irish a 1-0 win and improve the team’s record to 7-0.
- Softball: In a fall exhibition game against IUPUI, the Irish put up 14 runs and cruised to an easy victory.
Not many disappointments this weekend. All in all, a very successful couple of days for Notre Dame athletics, and an exciting time to be a fan of the Fighting Irish.
- Football. Notre Dame-USC Preview: The Unrivaled Rivalry
- M. Lacrosse. NYC Networking Trip Up Next On Notre Dame Lacrosse Fall Experience
- M. Tennis. Irish Set To Compete At ITA Midwest Regional Championships
- W. Basketball. Trio to Represent Irish at ACC Media Day
- W. Volleyball. Five Favorite Photos Of The Week
- M. Ice Hockey. Five Favorite Photos Of The Week
- M. Ice Hockey. #5/6 Irish Prepped For Sacred Heart Series
- W. Soccer. Notre Dame Travels to #18 Florida State
- W. Basketball. Season Ticket Holder Open Practice Set for Oct. 23
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish Undone By Penalties At #19 Akron, 2-0
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- There's some South Bend strength in all of us. Come Saturday, we're all behind @NDFootball. #GoIrish #BeatTrojans https://t.co/b5VxgpMfdr 6 hours ago
- No. 5/6 @NDHockey continues its homestand on Thursday and Friday. 🎟: bit.ly/2zznTp1 #GoIrish und.com/sports/m-hocke… 9 hours ago
- How is @NDFootball going to play on Saturday? (Yep, we think this sums it up.) #GoIrish #BeatTrojans https://t.co/8PT2IEWk3y 9 hours ago
- Good luck to @NDmbb alum @PlanetPat5, kicking off the @NBA season with the @trailblazers. Look back at Pat's top… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 10 hours ago
- Give @NDmbb alum Jack Cooley 2 cans of paint & he’ll work out his “traps” while grabbing 10 boards. 👀… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 10 hours ago