Sep 16, 2012, 5:05 PM EDT
While I’m no sports historian, I think it’s safe to assume that Sept. 14-16, 2012, has to be one of the most successful weekends in the history of the Fighting Irish. From cross-country to soccer to football, it feels like Notre Dame has not stopped winning since Friday afternoon.
Here’s a recap of the highlights:
- Cross-Country: The Irish swept the 33rd Annual National Catholic Championship, claiming both team and individual crowns. In the five-mile race, the men’s squad finished first out of 34 teams. Senior Jeremy Rae paced the Irish as the top overall finisher in the field of 276 (24:16.0). In the women’s race, Notre Dame placed first among 35 teams, led by Rebecca Tracy‘s 17:11.8 5k, good for first among 265 runners.
- Women’s Soccer: In the BIG EAST opener on ESPNU, freshman Crystal Thomas and sophomore Lauren Bohaboy scored unassisted goals for the “Baby Irish,” as head coach Randy Waldrum‘s team notched a 2-1 victory against Louisville.
- Men’s Soccer: The Irish continued their perfect start to the 2012 season with a 2-0 win over Michigan State in the nightcap at Alumni Stadium. Harrison Shipp and Patrick Hodan scored the goals.
- Volleyball: In the team’s first match of the Golden Dome Invitational, Notre Dame beat Xavier in a five-set thriller at Purcell Pavilion.
- Men’s Tennis: The Irish picked up eight singles victories at Day 2 of the OFCC Invitational.
- Football: In a dominant road performance, Notre Dame’s strong defense held Michigan State to just a 50-yard field goal. With the 20-3 victory, the Fighting Irish improved to 3-0 for the first time since 2002.
- Women’s Soccer: Following up on the football team’s victory, the Irish women’s soccer team put up a touchdown’s (plus the extra point) worth of goals, crushing Cincinnati, 7-0 at Alumni Stadium. Elizabeth Tucker, Mandy Laddish, Katie Naughton, Crystal Thomas, Rebecca Twining, Cari Roccaro and Nicole Rodriguez all found the back of the net.
- Volleyball: The Irish rallied from a 1-0 deficit to defeat Kansas, 3-1 in the final match of the Golden Dome Invitational. The win snapped the Jayhawks’ nine-match winning streak.
- Men’s Soccer: In a closely contested battle with the Michigan Wolverines, Ryan Finley scored in the second overtime to give the Irish a 1-0 win and improve the team’s record to 7-0.
- Softball: In a fall exhibition game against IUPUI, the Irish put up 14 runs and cruised to an easy victory.
Not many disappointments this weekend. All in all, a very successful couple of days for Notre Dame athletics, and an exciting time to be a fan of the Fighting Irish.
- W. Basketball. Rivalry Renewal in Big Ten/ACC Challenge
- Track & Field. Track & Field Lands Seven on All-ACC Academic Team
- Fencing. Kiefer Named Nominee For NCAA Woman of the Year
- M. Lacrosse. Perkovic Named The ACC Men's Lacrosse Scholar Athlete Of The Year
- General News. Join The Notre Dame Fan Council
- W. Lacrosse. Five Named to All-ACC Academic Team
- Softball. Koerner ('15) Turns Page On Legendary Career
- Swimming & Diving. Nineteen Swimmers Head to Nationals
- W. Golf. Albrecht Selected To All-ACC Academic Women's Golf Team
- M. Soccer. Besler, Morrow Named To U.S. Gold Cup Roster
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 GIFs #3 - 5 ND 🏀 players reached 1,000 career pts in 2016-17. B. Colson L. Allen S. Vast… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 hours ago
- 🏈 Countdown to Kickoff: 66 Days Coach Ara Parseghian receives the 1966 NCAA title trophy after leading @NDFootball… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 hours ago
- For his perseverance after the loss of his wife, @NDmbb alum Monty Williams received the @NBA Sager Strong Award. https://t.co/l0S0Qt7ur5 6 hours ago
- ☘ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Videos #3-Last year Bonzie Colson led @NDmbb in scoring. He attributes his success to st… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 7 hours ago
- ☘YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Articles #3-@NDHockey 2nd Team All-American Anders Bjork impacts a local 3rd grade class.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 10 hours ago