Sep 16, 2012, 5:05 PM EST
While I’m no sports historian, I think it’s safe to assume that Sept. 14-16, 2012, has to be one of the most successful weekends in the history of the Fighting Irish. From cross-country to soccer to football, it feels like Notre Dame has not stopped winning since Friday afternoon.
Here’s a recap of the highlights:
- Cross-Country: The Irish swept the 33rd Annual National Catholic Championship, claiming both team and individual crowns. In the five-mile race, the men’s squad finished first out of 34 teams. Senior Jeremy Rae paced the Irish as the top overall finisher in the field of 276 (24:16.0). In the women’s race, Notre Dame placed first among 35 teams, led by Rebecca Tracy‘s 17:11.8 5k, good for first among 265 runners.
- Women’s Soccer: In the BIG EAST opener on ESPNU, freshman Crystal Thomas and sophomore Lauren Bohaboy scored unassisted goals for the “Baby Irish,” as head coach Randy Waldrum‘s team notched a 2-1 victory against Louisville.
- Men’s Soccer: The Irish continued their perfect start to the 2012 season with a 2-0 win over Michigan State in the nightcap at Alumni Stadium. Harrison Shipp and Patrick Hodan scored the goals.
- Volleyball: In the team’s first match of the Golden Dome Invitational, Notre Dame beat Xavier in a five-set thriller at Purcell Pavilion.
- Men’s Tennis: The Irish picked up eight singles victories at Day 2 of the OFCC Invitational.
- Football: In a dominant road performance, Notre Dame’s strong defense held Michigan State to just a 50-yard field goal. With the 20-3 victory, the Fighting Irish improved to 3-0 for the first time since 2002.
- Women’s Soccer: Following up on the football team’s victory, the Irish women’s soccer team put up a touchdown’s (plus the extra point) worth of goals, crushing Cincinnati, 7-0 at Alumni Stadium. Elizabeth Tucker, Mandy Laddish, Katie Naughton, Crystal Thomas, Rebecca Twining, Cari Roccaro and Nicole Rodriguez all found the back of the net.
- Volleyball: The Irish rallied from a 1-0 deficit to defeat Kansas, 3-1 in the final match of the Golden Dome Invitational. The win snapped the Jayhawks’ nine-match winning streak.
- Men’s Soccer: In a closely contested battle with the Michigan Wolverines, Ryan Finley scored in the second overtime to give the Irish a 1-0 win and improve the team’s record to 7-0.
- Softball: In a fall exhibition game against IUPUI, the Irish put up 14 runs and cruised to an easy victory.
Not many disappointments this weekend. All in all, a very successful couple of days for Notre Dame athletics, and an exciting time to be a fan of the Fighting Irish.
- Baseball. Chance Of Rain Alters Tony Gwynn Classic Schedule
- W. Tennis. Irish Capitalize In 5-2 Win Over Purdue
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Have Everything To Play For At Boston University
- W. Basketball. Irish Welcome Eagles On Senior Night
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Battle Phoenix to Open Road Trip
- General News. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
- Fencing. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
- W. Soccer. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
- Football. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Thursday @ndwbb plays Boston College for a share of its 4th regular season ACC title. #TBT to ND's 81-70 win vs Du… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 15 minutes ago
- 🏀 Which NBA legend does @NDmbb's Elijah Burns want to meet? Get to know Elijah on Inside ND Basketball. 📺… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 20 hours ago
- 🏀 This week the @NDmbb assistant coaches are on the road recruiting. Practice is all Coach Brey. 👀@NDMikeBrey https://t.co/Tee1WaFZQq 1 day ago
- HALL OF FAME: One Step Away @ndwbb coach Muffet McGraw is a finalist for Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. und.com/sports/w-baskb… 1 day ago
- ☘️ @NDHockey Goalie Cal Petersen: 🏒 Tied for 1st in NCAA Shutouts. 💯 @Hockey_East Defensive Player of the Week. und.com/sports/m-hocke… 2 days ago