Sep 17, 2012, 11:13 AM EDT
Between his sub-four minute mile, several BIG EAST titles, and an NCAA Championship title as a member of the indoor distance medley relay team, it’s hard to think of something that senior Jeremy Rae hasn’t accomplished. And after his win at the National Catholic Championship on Friday, there’s one less thing he has yet to accomplish.
“I was actually incredibly excited for National Catholic this year,” Rae said. “I haven’t individually won a cross-country race since the 8th grade, and I knew this would be a great opportunity to change that.”
Rae said that he wasn’t too concerned about his time before the race, but he wanted to win the individual title for the team as well as himself.
“Time is never really a concern when you’re running cross country since every course is different, and the weather can change drastically from year to year,” Rae said. “I was much more concerned with winning the meet since we haven’t had an individual win the guys race since 2008.”
Senior Rebecca Tracy, who took home the win in the women’s race, also wanted to win the race for the Irish on their home course.
“Personally I was trying to keep us together and keep us up there,” Tracy said. “But when it came down to it and there was the girl from Duquesne, it kind of became a matter of ‘Well, this is our invite, so one of us better be the one that wins it.’”
Six Notre Dame runners finished in the top ten in the women’s race, and Tracy said that their finish and the way they ran the race bodes well for future meets.
“It was kind of a big statement that we can put so many runners up there,” Tracy said. “It was through the first mile and a half to two miles we wanted to stick together, and it was good to see that we were all close together.”
- Softball. Irish Trio Earn All-ACC Academic Honors
- General News. Join The Notre Dame Fan Council
- W. Volleyball. Sunday Brunch: Passion Fuels Johnson's Plans
- M. Ice Hockey. Pivonka And Stastney Selected In The 2018 NHL Draft
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish In The NHL Draft
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Volleyball Unveils 2018 Schedule
- M. Golf. Two Irish Golfers Named to All-ACC Academic Team
- Track & Field. Harris Named First Team Academic All-American
- Football. WATCH: Freshmen Move In
- W. Golf. Irish Trio Earn 2018 All-ACC Academic Team Honors
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ⛳️ ➕ 📚 @NDMensGolf's Kevin Conners and Miguel Delgado were named to the All-ACC Academic Team! #GoIrish und.com/sports/m-golf/… 2 hours ago
- ☘️🏒 Jake Pivonka 👉 @NYIslanders ☘️🏒 Spencer Stastney 👉 @PredsNHL ✌️ of @NDHockey's incoming freshmen join the 2018… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 21 hours ago
- "I really wanted to coach more than I wanted to play. I just loved to do it, loved to teach." Meet @NDVolleyball's… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 23 hours ago
- We're sure #InternationalFairyDay is great and all... but when is International Leprechaun Day? ☘️ (Asking for a… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- The ☝️st day of @NDmbb practice is in the 📚! Rex Pflueger takes you behind-the-scenes from his perspective! ⤵️… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago