Sep 17, 2012, 11:13 AM EDT
Between his sub-four minute mile, several BIG EAST titles, and an NCAA Championship title as a member of the indoor distance medley relay team, it’s hard to think of something that senior Jeremy Rae hasn’t accomplished. And after his win at the National Catholic Championship on Friday, there’s one less thing he has yet to accomplish.
“I was actually incredibly excited for National Catholic this year,” Rae said. “I haven’t individually won a cross-country race since the 8th grade, and I knew this would be a great opportunity to change that.”
Rae said that he wasn’t too concerned about his time before the race, but he wanted to win the individual title for the team as well as himself.
“Time is never really a concern when you’re running cross country since every course is different, and the weather can change drastically from year to year,” Rae said. “I was much more concerned with winning the meet since we haven’t had an individual win the guys race since 2008.”
Senior Rebecca Tracy, who took home the win in the women’s race, also wanted to win the race for the Irish on their home course.
“Personally I was trying to keep us together and keep us up there,” Tracy said. “But when it came down to it and there was the girl from Duquesne, it kind of became a matter of ‘Well, this is our invite, so one of us better be the one that wins it.’”
Six Notre Dame runners finished in the top ten in the women’s race, and Tracy said that their finish and the way they ran the race bodes well for future meets.
“It was kind of a big statement that we can put so many runners up there,” Tracy said. “It was through the first mile and a half to two miles we wanted to stick together, and it was good to see that we were all close together.”
- Track & Field. Keys To The Meet: NCAA East Regionals
- W. Tennis. Robinson Named Program's First National Arthur Ashe Award Winner
- Baseball. Irish Embark On Postseason Play
- Football. Drue Tranquill Named To Lott Trophy Watch List
- M. Tennis. Need To Know: NCAA Singles Championship
- Baseball. Vierling Nabs All-ACC Nod
- Football. Sam Mustipher Named To Rimington Trophy Watch List
- Softball. Cal Steals 5-3 Decision From Irish
- M. Lacrosse. Replay: Denver Roars Past Irish
- Baseball. ACC Baseball Championship Next Stop For Irish
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🎾 NCAA TITLE QUEST Get to know @NDMensTennis’ Josh Hagar before his 1st NCAA Singles Tourney. Wed. | 1:30pm 📺… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 9 hours ago
- ☘ Dream Chasers! @NDlacrosse stars chosen for U.S. National Team tryout. Matt Landis Matt Kavanagh Sergio Perkovic und.com/sports/m-lacro… 15 hours ago
- 🎓 To our 2017 student-athlete grads, We're proud of you. We believe in you. Thanks for being a part of the… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- 🏆 4 @ACCTrackField Titles ☘ 2016 ACC Performer of the Year 🙌 Headed to NCAA Regionals Get to know @NDXCTF's Anna R… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- 🏈 On @NDFootball coach Ara Parseghian's 94th birthday, take a look back at his 2nd national title. 1973 Sugar Bowl… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 days ago