Sep 17, 2012, 11:13 AM EDT
Between his sub-four minute mile, several BIG EAST titles, and an NCAA Championship title as a member of the indoor distance medley relay team, it’s hard to think of something that senior Jeremy Rae hasn’t accomplished. And after his win at the National Catholic Championship on Friday, there’s one less thing he has yet to accomplish.
“I was actually incredibly excited for National Catholic this year,” Rae said. “I haven’t individually won a cross-country race since the 8th grade, and I knew this would be a great opportunity to change that.”
Rae said that he wasn’t too concerned about his time before the race, but he wanted to win the individual title for the team as well as himself.
“Time is never really a concern when you’re running cross country since every course is different, and the weather can change drastically from year to year,” Rae said. “I was much more concerned with winning the meet since we haven’t had an individual win the guys race since 2008.”
Senior Rebecca Tracy, who took home the win in the women’s race, also wanted to win the race for the Irish on their home course.
“Personally I was trying to keep us together and keep us up there,” Tracy said. “But when it came down to it and there was the girl from Duquesne, it kind of became a matter of ‘Well, this is our invite, so one of us better be the one that wins it.’”
Six Notre Dame runners finished in the top ten in the women’s race, and Tracy said that their finish and the way they ran the race bodes well for future meets.
“It was kind of a big statement that we can put so many runners up there,” Tracy said. “It was through the first mile and a half to two miles we wanted to stick together, and it was good to see that we were all close together.”
- Football. Limited Tickets Remain for Irish Football Home Opener Versus Temple
- M. Soccer. #10 Irish, Valpo Clash In Annual Grassroot Soccer Contest
- W. Soccer. #18 Irish, Butler Draw 0-0 In 2017 Lid-Lifter
- Football. EXCLUSIVE: Rockne Heritage Uniforms Unveiled
- M. Lacrosse. Four Irish Alums Set To Play For MLL Championship
- Cross Country. Cross Country Tabs Four Captains for 2017 Season
- W. Soccer. What to Watch: Butler vs. Notre Dame
- M. Basketball. Irish Legend Tom Hawkins Passes Away
- W. Soccer. Irish Add Casper to Women’s Soccer Staff
- Bigger Than Brick. Premium Seating Added To Football Game Day Experience
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- So good to see that celebration on the field again, Jaylon! 🎳🏈🎳 👀@thejaylonsmith https://t.co/pLZRbpQDM9 31 minutes ago
- Welcome back, Jaylon. 👀@thejaylonsmith https://t.co/kV6u5HX9Z8 1 hour ago
- ☘ UP CLOSE Duncan Student Center at ND Stadium! Student Sports Facility Study Spaces Lounges & More INFO:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 hours ago
- ☘We're excited for students to start classes soon in the new buildings at ND Stadium! 📸 O'Neill Hall for Departmen… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 5 hours ago
- 🏈Countdown to Kickoff: 14 Days #14 DeShone Kizer was drafted to the @Browns in 2017. He set ND’s single-season ru… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 10 hours ago