Sep 21, 2012, 10:33 AM EST
Notre Dame is slated to play Friday evening against Cincinnati, but don’t let the Bearcats’ 2-10 record deceive you. Last season, UC was consistently atop the BIG EAST standings, and received an NCAA tournament berth after defeating none other than Notre Dame 3-0 in the BIG EAST Championship game in Milwaukee. In fact, eight of Cincinnati’s 10 losses have come at the hands of currently ranked teams including Texas (No. 9) and Florida State (No. 15). As the old saying goes, no opponent can be taken lightly, regardless of their record.
The schedule certainly doesn’t get any easier Sunday as Notre Dame faces No. 10 Louisville, also on the road. The preseason favorite Cardinals are flying high from an 11-1 record entering conference play. Look for the Irish to target and slow down Lola Arslanbekova, the league’s preseason player of the year.
Historically, Notre Dame has started conference play on the right foot by winning 16 of its 17 league openers. The Irish have also begun conference play 2-0 in 15 of its 17 seasons as a member of the BIG EAST. These two road tests stand in the way of a four game home stand at Purcell Pavilion beginning September 29. And if there’s one thing Coach Debbie Brown has on her mind, it’s taking the season one set and one game at a time. Luckily for the Irish, they’ve been able to move on to future opponents without the lingering side effects of previous heartbreaking losses to ranked teams.
Forget all of the numbers for just a moment. Come Friday, none of that will matter. Because rekindled rivalries against familiar foes, a chance to start the second half on a fresh note, and the opportunity to lift your team to greatness awaits. Welcome to conference play.
- Baseball. Chance Of Rain Alters Tony Gwynn Classic Schedule
- W. Tennis. Irish Capitalize In 5-2 Win Over Purdue
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Have Everything To Play For At Boston University
- W. Basketball. Irish Welcome Eagles On Senior Night
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Battle Phoenix to Open Road Trip
- General News. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
- Fencing. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
- W. Soccer. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
- Football. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Thursday @ndwbb plays Boston College for a share of its 4th regular season ACC title. #TBT to ND's 81-70 win vs Du… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 16 minutes ago
- 🏀 Which NBA legend does @NDmbb's Elijah Burns want to meet? Get to know Elijah on Inside ND Basketball. 📺… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 20 hours ago
- 🏀 This week the @NDmbb assistant coaches are on the road recruiting. Practice is all Coach Brey. 👀@NDMikeBrey https://t.co/Tee1WaFZQq 1 day ago
- HALL OF FAME: One Step Away @ndwbb coach Muffet McGraw is a finalist for Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. und.com/sports/w-baskb… 1 day ago
- ☘️ @NDHockey Goalie Cal Petersen: 🏒 Tied for 1st in NCAA Shutouts. 💯 @Hockey_East Defensive Player of the Week. und.com/sports/m-hocke… 2 days ago