Sep 23, 2012, 12:57 PM EST
While the Irish had a strong collection of current and former athletes competing in the 2012 London Olympic Games, Notre Dame also sent a contingent of students to work with NBC in their coverage of the XXX Olympiad. Senior diver, Kimmie Lisiak, was one of those students and she journeyed to London to assist the NBC crew in their coverage of the diving competitions.
Lisiak’s responsibilities were a mix between a diving logger and a production assistant for NBC during the full diving schedule. Her main duty was cataloguing what each camera showed at all times, including when cameras caught the diver’s coach or family in the stands or even when the diver smiled. This allowed the production crew to find all the necessary shots to produce the NBC coverage that all of us in the United States saw every evening.
Lisiak was honored to have that much responsibility:
“I was working at the world’s largest sporting event and they trusted me there,” she said. “It is cool that they trust me to work at events like that.”
While Kimmie quickly became skilled at logging all the action, she admits that it wasn’t always easy, especially when fellow USA diver David Boudia won gold off the 10-meter platform.
“[After] his dive and I knew he was going to win I started to get the chills, started tearing up and I could barely even see the computer,” said Lisiak. “It was so awesome.”
Although Kimmie is a pre-health and theology dual-major, Lisiak is now considering going into the broadcasting industry. Over her time spent in London, Lisiak was able to interact with a myriad of important figures in the broadcasting world, including diving announcer, Ted Robinson. She has seen the results of her hard work pay off as she has received a number of different opportunities to continue working in the industry. Kimmie is very grateful for the opportunity and credits the University of Notre Dame Career Center and Athletic Department for their help in the process as well.
“Give Notre Dame the credit,” she said. “Without them, I wouldn’t have even known about [the opportunity]”
Lisiak’s work schedule during the Games allowed her time to watch a number of other sporting events and she made sure to maximize that time. Running on caffeine, she watched 14 Olympic sports varying from boxing to table tennis. While she describes all of her time in London as amazing, there were a couple of moments that stood out to her. One of those instances was when she watched fellow American Gabby Douglas claim gold in the gymnastics all-around competition. Lisiak actually began her athletic career as a gymnast and knew a handful of athletes there, which made the experience all the more exciting.
“[Being at the Olympics] was a dream [of mine] since I was five years old and that was one of my highlights [of the year],” Lisiak recalled.
She also enjoyed watching the USA Men’s Basketball team win the gold medal as she sat just a couple of rows away from the court. These memories will last a lifetime.
Lisiak is back and trying to make only a small splash in the Rolfs Aquatic Center as the diving squad has begun its training for another year of competition. Lisiak and her team open the year with the Dennis Stark Relays, during which the Irish will have a synchronized diving competition, something they only get to do once a year at this event.
“I hope people come to this meet just because we do synchro(nized) [diving],” Lisiak said, “I think it is one of the most exciting and fun events to watch.”
Be sure to follow all the action on October 12th and watch Lisiak and the rest of her teammates take on the competition beginning at 5:00 p.m. (ET).
- W. Basketball. Allen, No. 5 Irish Cruise Past Boston College on Senior Night
- Baseball. Tony Gwynn Classic Takes Irish To San Diego
- M. Tennis. Need To Know: Northwestern
- M. Lacrosse. Perkovic Honored as Postgraduate Scholarship Recipient
- Baseball. Chance Of Rain Alters Tony Gwynn Classic Schedule
- W. Tennis. Irish Capitalize In 5-2 Win Over Purdue
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Have Everything To Play For At Boston University
- W. Basketball. Irish Welcome Eagles On Senior Night
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Battle Phoenix to Open Road Trip
- General News. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘️PROGRAM FIRST This weekend, @NDXCTF hosts ACC Indoor Track & Field Championships for the 1st time. The team is… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 hour ago
- The Mike Brey Radio Show is LIVE, presented by the experts at Tire Rack. WATCH: UND.com/breyradioshow https://t.co/BA18vIgH8P 3 hours ago
- Thursday @ndwbb plays Boston College for a share of its 4th regular season ACC title. #TBT to ND's 81-70 win vs Du… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 7 hours ago
- 🏀 Which NBA legend does @NDmbb's Elijah Burns want to meet? Get to know Elijah on Inside ND Basketball. 📺… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- 🏀 This week the @NDmbb assistant coaches are on the road recruiting. Practice is all Coach Brey. 👀@NDMikeBrey https://t.co/Tee1WaFZQq 1 day ago