Sep 26, 2012, 8:05 AM EDT
The Google+ Hangout is just a few hours away (tonight at 7:00 pm ET), and this morning, we’ll introduce you to the final two participants, starting with Joshua Vowles, better known as The Subway Domer.
Joshua has been the lead writer and editor-in-chief of the website, Subway Domer since he founded it in 2006. He is also the founder and administrator of the Irish Blogger Gathering, a roundtable alliance of Notre dame blogs and websites. He is a proud husband and father of two wonderful kids. Joshua takes pride in the niche that Subway Domer has carved out for itself in the blogosphere over these past 6 years, as THE place to go for that “bar/tavern” conversation about Notre Dame football on the Internet.
Best Notre Dame athletics memory?
I was 10 years old when Notre Dame won the national championship in 1988, so I won’t be using that example. However, five years later I am 15 and the 1993 season happened. That entire season was like one awesome dream to me. Yes, the last game of the regular season put a dagger in my heart, but it was that loss that helped me realize just how much I loved Notre Dame.
So, to answer the question, it was the entire 1993 season. The season that I became a lifer.
Favorite Fighting Irish athlete of all-time?
Jeff Burris, Safety. I was always in awe of the way Burris played football at Notre Dame. He played hard and he played with a skill and speed that we have rarely seen at the position since. Still, I would be lying if I didn’t mention the way Holtz used Burris at running back as a huge factor. In today’s world, the hype machine would have probably set Burris up for at least a trip to New York for the Heisman.
Matchup you’re most looking forward to seeing in the ACC?
Clemson. I have no real rationalization for this pick, but it’s the matchup that I can’t wait to see. Obviously, I’m pretty excited about Florida State and Virginia Tech as well.
First Notre Dame football game you saw in the stadium?
Oklahoma in 1999. I had traveled to West Lafayette a few times for Notre Dame games, but this was my first one at ND Stadium. I was with my dad, uncle, and family friend. 1999 wasn’t a great year for the Irish, but it saw a couple of really good comeback wins against USC and, wait for it… Oklahoma.
If you could choose one Notre Dame game to have seen in person, which would it be?
The 1993 Florida State game. There were so many variables attached to this game with College GameDay doing their first road show there, the #1 vs. #2 matchup, and just the way the Irish won the game. There is a long list of great ND games, but that one tops my list for the “wish I was there” award.
- Softball. Irish Strikeout Cancer With Arkansas
- W. Lacrosse. Fortunato Named Tewaaraton Award Nominee
- Track. Irish Conclude Day One of Penn Relays
- Baseball. Irish & Blue Devils Play A Pair Friday
- W. Tennis. Irish Fall To Clemson In Second Round Of ACC Championship
- M. Tennis. Irish Fall In 4-3 Heartbreaker To Louisville At ACC Championship
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Rally Not Enough Against Eagles
- M. Soccer. Irish Take Pitch For Annual Clash With Mexico On Friday
- Baseball. Duke Visits For Pivotal League Series
- W. Soccer. Irish Slated To Face Off With Mexico In Annual Spring Finale
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘ @NDSoftball is on a mission to fight pediatric cancer. Coach Gumpf's daughter Tatum is a survivor. Hear Tatum's… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 hours ago
- That #FridayFeeling! ☀️ 15 Days Until Summer 🏈 120 Days Until College Football ☘ 127 Days Until Kickoff in ND Stad… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 hours ago
- 🏈 #TBT to 2016 Ronnie Stanley & Will Fuller became @NDFootball's 65th & 66th 1st round NFL draft picks (3rd all-ti… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 22 hours ago
- ☘ 300 CLUB Congrats, @NDWomensLax goalie Sam Giacolone on her 300th career save during ACC Championships. Sam is… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- ⚾️ IRISH BLANK EASTERN MICHIGAN Matt Vierling scored 2 runs and 3 RBI in @NDBaseball's 5-0 victory. 📽 Highlights https://t.co/evwnYZL6H3 1 day ago