Sep 26, 2012, 8:05 AM EDT
The Google+ Hangout is just a few hours away (tonight at 7:00 pm ET), and this morning, we’ll introduce you to the final two participants, starting with Joshua Vowles, better known as The Subway Domer.
Joshua has been the lead writer and editor-in-chief of the website, Subway Domer since he founded it in 2006. He is also the founder and administrator of the Irish Blogger Gathering, a roundtable alliance of Notre dame blogs and websites. He is a proud husband and father of two wonderful kids. Joshua takes pride in the niche that Subway Domer has carved out for itself in the blogosphere over these past 6 years, as THE place to go for that “bar/tavern” conversation about Notre Dame football on the Internet.
Best Notre Dame athletics memory?
I was 10 years old when Notre Dame won the national championship in 1988, so I won’t be using that example. However, five years later I am 15 and the 1993 season happened. That entire season was like one awesome dream to me. Yes, the last game of the regular season put a dagger in my heart, but it was that loss that helped me realize just how much I loved Notre Dame.
So, to answer the question, it was the entire 1993 season. The season that I became a lifer.
Favorite Fighting Irish athlete of all-time?
Jeff Burris, Safety. I was always in awe of the way Burris played football at Notre Dame. He played hard and he played with a skill and speed that we have rarely seen at the position since. Still, I would be lying if I didn’t mention the way Holtz used Burris at running back as a huge factor. In today’s world, the hype machine would have probably set Burris up for at least a trip to New York for the Heisman.
Matchup you’re most looking forward to seeing in the ACC?
Clemson. I have no real rationalization for this pick, but it’s the matchup that I can’t wait to see. Obviously, I’m pretty excited about Florida State and Virginia Tech as well.
First Notre Dame football game you saw in the stadium?
Oklahoma in 1999. I had traveled to West Lafayette a few times for Notre Dame games, but this was my first one at ND Stadium. I was with my dad, uncle, and family friend. 1999 wasn’t a great year for the Irish, but it saw a couple of really good comeback wins against USC and, wait for it… Oklahoma.
If you could choose one Notre Dame game to have seen in person, which would it be?
The 1993 Florida State game. There were so many variables attached to this game with College GameDay doing their first road show there, the #1 vs. #2 matchup, and just the way the Irish won the game. There is a long list of great ND games, but that one tops my list for the “wish I was there” award.
- W. Basketball. Rivalry Renewal in Big Ten/ACC Challenge
- Track & Field. Track & Field Lands Seven on All-ACC Academic Team
- Fencing. Kiefer Named Nominee For NCAA Woman of the Year
- M. Lacrosse. Perkovic Named The ACC Men's Lacrosse Scholar Athlete Of The Year
- General News. Join The Notre Dame Fan Council
- W. Lacrosse. Five Named to All-ACC Academic Team
- Softball. Koerner ('15) Turns Page On Legendary Career
- Swimming & Diving. Nineteen Swimmers Head to Nationals
- W. Golf. Albrecht Selected To All-ACC Academic Women's Golf Team
- M. Soccer. Besler, Morrow Named To U.S. Gold Cup Roster
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 GIFs #3 - 5 ND 🏀 players reached 1,000 career pts in 2016-17. B. Colson L. Allen S. Vast… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 hours ago
- 🏈 Countdown to Kickoff: 66 Days Coach Ara Parseghian receives the 1966 NCAA title trophy after leading @NDFootball… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 hours ago
- For his perseverance after the loss of his wife, @NDmbb alum Monty Williams received the @NBA Sager Strong Award. https://t.co/l0S0Qt7ur5 6 hours ago
- ☘ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Videos #3-Last year Bonzie Colson led @NDmbb in scoring. He attributes his success to st… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 7 hours ago
- ☘YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Articles #3-@NDHockey 2nd Team All-American Anders Bjork impacts a local 3rd grade class.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 10 hours ago