Sep 28, 2012, 9:30 AM EDT
The Irish cross-country teams return to the Burke Golf Course on campus today after a two-week hiatus.
Notre Dame welcomes a plethora of elite athletes as it hosts the 57th annual Notre Dame Invitational. Florida State, Butler, North Carolina State and New Mexico are headlining the schools competing against Notre Dame’s star-studded field. Eight D-I men’s teams will compete and four other ranked D-I women’s teams will be in action Friday.
Friday will be the second time the Irish have run in competition on the golf course this season. Earlier this season the men and women’s teams both claimed championships on their home course in the National Catholic Invitational.
“I think there is definitely an advantage in having raced the course already,” senior Jessica Rydberg said. “This is a unique race because we are able to race against quality competition on our home course. We are comfortable here.”
While the quality of competition is high, the Irish aren’t intimidated.
“Our goal is to win the race,” Rydberg said. “Personally, I hope to be in the top 20 and to stick with the team for as long as I can.”
The invitational will begin at 2 p.m. ET with the women’s gold division 5k and will shortly be followed by the men’s gold division race at 2:45 p.m. ET. There will be a brief break in the varsity action when the JV race starts at 3:30 p.m. ET. The D-I teams will then race in the blue division races. The women begin at 4:15 p.m. ET and the men will cap the event at 5 p.m. ET.
Scores will be updated after each race on und.com.
- Track. Irish Prepared for Split-Squad Competition
- W. Golf. Irish Await Elite Field at Bryan National Collegiate
- W. Basketball. Turner's All-America Honors Continue
- M. Basketball. Colson Nabs AP All-America Accolade
- W. Volleyball. Q&A On Irish Volleyball Junior Sam Fry's National Team Tryout
- Baseball. Rally Pushes Irish By Cougars
- M. Basketball. Matt Ryan Granted Release For Contact With Other Schools
- Fencing. Replay: NCAA Title in My Eyes
- Softball. Irish Entertain EMU Eagles Wednesday Evening
- M. Ice Hockey. Jackson Named One of 10 Finalists For Spencer Penrose Award
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- NATIONAL PLAYER OF THE WEEK @NDWomensLax goalie Samantha Giacolone earns national honor after making 13 saves in w… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 37 minutes ago
- 🏒 @NCAA Coach of the Year Finalist @NDHockey coach Jeff Jackson is a top-10 finalist for the Spencer Penrose Award. und.com/sports/m-hocke… 5 hours ago
- ⚾️ IRISH RALLY PAST CHICAGO STATE @NDBaseball downs Chicago State 7-4 with a trio of 2-run innings. Game Recap: und.com/sports/m-baseb… 9 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: “I can’t tell you how proud we are of you.” - Coach Jackson Relive @NDHockey’s 3-2 OT win vs. UMass Lowell. NEXT: On t… 23 hours ago
- ☘ After beating #4 Ohio State 12-7... 2 @NDlacrosse stars earn ACC Player of the Week! Sergio Perkovic John Sexton und.com/sports/m-lacro… 1 day ago