Sep 28, 2012, 9:30 AM EDT
The Irish cross-country teams return to the Burke Golf Course on campus today after a two-week hiatus.
Notre Dame welcomes a plethora of elite athletes as it hosts the 57th annual Notre Dame Invitational. Florida State, Butler, North Carolina State and New Mexico are headlining the schools competing against Notre Dame’s star-studded field. Eight D-I men’s teams will compete and four other ranked D-I women’s teams will be in action Friday.
Friday will be the second time the Irish have run in competition on the golf course this season. Earlier this season the men and women’s teams both claimed championships on their home course in the National Catholic Invitational.
“I think there is definitely an advantage in having raced the course already,” senior Jessica Rydberg said. “This is a unique race because we are able to race against quality competition on our home course. We are comfortable here.”
While the quality of competition is high, the Irish aren’t intimidated.
“Our goal is to win the race,” Rydberg said. “Personally, I hope to be in the top 20 and to stick with the team for as long as I can.”
The invitational will begin at 2 p.m. ET with the women’s gold division 5k and will shortly be followed by the men’s gold division race at 2:45 p.m. ET. There will be a brief break in the varsity action when the JV race starts at 3:30 p.m. ET. The D-I teams will then race in the blue division races. The women begin at 4:15 p.m. ET and the men will cap the event at 5 p.m. ET.
Scores will be updated after each race on und.com.
- Fencing. Stabrawa Named Fencing's Director of Operations
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Announces 2017-18 Schedule
- M. Soccer. Irish Release 2017 Soccer Slate
- M. Ice Hockey. Peeke And St. Cyr Invited To USA Camp
- Softball. Bazos To Represent Greece At Euro Championship
- Track & Field. Father’s Day: Running In The Aragon Family
- W. Tennis. Thompson Tapped To Lead Gophers As Head Coach
- Baseball. Irish Trio Of Bielak, Ruibal & Lidge Drafted
- M. Lacrosse. Epple Invited To U.S. National Team Tryouts
- W. Rowing. Boxberger Named CRCA Pocock All-American
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘️ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 GIFs #10 - @NDMenSoccer's ACC Offensive Player of the Year Jon Gallagher led @theACC in… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 11 hours ago
- ☘️ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Videos #10-Attention to detail 1st. Then work on the bigger picture. Josh Adams shows… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 12 hours ago
- 🏈 Countdown to Kickoff: 73 Days Flashback to the 1973 Sugar Bowl. When unbeaten @NDFootball downed #1 Alabama for… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 13 hours ago
- ☘YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Moments #10 - Steve Vasturia's 3-pointer with 2.5 seconds left in overtime clinches @NDmbb… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 17 hours ago
- ☘️ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Articles #10 - Davis Lamb wins match vs Seton Hall for @NDMensGolf tournament title. und.com/sports/m-golf/… 18 hours ago