Oct 4, 2012, 3:07 PM EDT
This coming weekend, nine members of the Notre Dame men’s tennis team will square off against some stiff competition here in South Bend at the Tom Fallon Invitational (another four will be traveling to California to compete in the Napa Valley Classic). For those of you who don’t know who Tom Fallon was, you ought to learn a little bit about the man who retired in 1987 as the winningest head coach in Notre Dame history.
Tom Fallon won more than 500 matches in his 31-year tenure at Notre Dame. Just two seasons into that stretch, he earned his first of two undefeated regular seasons and an NCAA championship. He retired with better than a 72% winning percentage and was inducted into the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Hall of Fame in 1988.
Yet, Fallon isn’t just remembered for his accolades as a tennis coach; Fallon bled blue and gold. A member of the class of 1942, he served four years as a Navy officer in World War II and earned a doctorate in physical education from Columbia before returning to his beloved Notre Dame. In addition to coaching tennis, he founded the wrestling program in 1952 and coached it for 15 years. He was chairman of the physical education department and was director of activities at the Rockne Memorial Fieldhouse. Fallon and his wife, Eleanor Williams, even sent all three of their children to Notre Dame.
There seem to be so many memorial events out there recognizing someone whose name you may have never heard. Sometimes, it’s important to take a minute to get to know who that person is and why he or she is being honored. Starting this Friday, the Irish will play the Tom Fallon Invitational. Keep Tom Fallon in mind as they battle Cleveland State, Illinois State, Marquette and Western Michigan at the Courtney Tennis Center.
- M. Lacrosse. Replay: #6 Irish Fall in ACC Title Match to #18 Heels
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Fall In ACC Championship
- Softball. Irish-Arkansas Rubber Match Lost Due To Weather
- Football. Sunday Brunch: Robinson Way More Than Meets the Eye
- Softball. Irish Rally For Split With #24 Arkansas
- Football. Isaac Rochell Selected By The Los Angeles Chargers
- Track. Richartz Takes First At Penn Relays Finale
- W. Rowing. Irish Finish Second In Abbreviated Dale England Cup
- Baseball. Vierling Walks-Off Duke To Take Series
- M. Lacrosse. Irish and Tar Heels Square Off For ACC Championship Crown
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🏈 From the @NDFootball #DBoys to the Giants squad. D-Lineman Jarron Jones signs with the New York @Giants!… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 7 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: ⚾️ IRISH TAKE SERIES FROM DUKE! Matt Vierling's walk-off triple gives @NDBaseball a 3-2 victory over the Blue Devils.… 10 hours ago
- ☘ ACC TITLE GAME @NDlacrosse competes for its 2nd ACC championship in program history. ND vs. UNC Noon | @ESPNU https://t.co/14lFIwKxpU 14 hours ago
- 🏈Living the NFL Dream! Congrats, @NDFootball captain Isaac Rochell on being the @Chargers 225th overall pick. 👀… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- ⚾️ IRISH TAKE SERIES FROM DUKE! Matt Vierling's walk-off triple gives @NDBaseball a 3-2 victory over the Blue Devi… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago