Oct 4, 2012, 3:07 PM EDT
This coming weekend, nine members of the Notre Dame men’s tennis team will square off against some stiff competition here in South Bend at the Tom Fallon Invitational (another four will be traveling to California to compete in the Napa Valley Classic). For those of you who don’t know who Tom Fallon was, you ought to learn a little bit about the man who retired in 1987 as the winningest head coach in Notre Dame history.
Tom Fallon won more than 500 matches in his 31-year tenure at Notre Dame. Just two seasons into that stretch, he earned his first of two undefeated regular seasons and an NCAA championship. He retired with better than a 72% winning percentage and was inducted into the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Hall of Fame in 1988.
Yet, Fallon isn’t just remembered for his accolades as a tennis coach; Fallon bled blue and gold. A member of the class of 1942, he served four years as a Navy officer in World War II and earned a doctorate in physical education from Columbia before returning to his beloved Notre Dame. In addition to coaching tennis, he founded the wrestling program in 1952 and coached it for 15 years. He was chairman of the physical education department and was director of activities at the Rockne Memorial Fieldhouse. Fallon and his wife, Eleanor Williams, even sent all three of their children to Notre Dame.
There seem to be so many memorial events out there recognizing someone whose name you may have never heard. Sometimes, it’s important to take a minute to get to know who that person is and why he or she is being honored. Starting this Friday, the Irish will play the Tom Fallon Invitational. Keep Tom Fallon in mind as they battle Cleveland State, Illinois State, Marquette and Western Michigan at the Courtney Tennis Center.
- W. Rowing. O'Tighearnaigh Named Honorable Mention All-American
- Football. Irish Trio Named To Bednarik,Maxwell Watch Lists
- Football. Single-Game Irish Football Tickets Available
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Skaters Participate In NHL Development Camps
- Swimming & Diving. Litzinger To Coach In Inaugural ACC/Big Ten Challenge
- W. Soccer. Flores Signs Two-Year Deal with Valencia CF
- Fencing. Kvaratskhelia Named USFCA Coach of the Year
- M. Soccer. Irish Men's Soccer Holding School Supply Drive
- Track & Field. Sunday Brunch: Hoosier Hoops Helped Prepare Sparks for Head Coaching Role
- Track & Field. Sparks Promoted to Irish Head Track and Field and Cross Country Coach
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- We know who we're voting for! 👇 👀 @NDmbb #GoIrish twitter.com/marchmadness/s… 1 hour ago
- ☘️ @NDFootball's Nic Weishar has been nominated for the Allstate AFCA Good Works Team. Meet Nic and his family as… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 14 hours ago
- Those #NDFamily vibes are strong! 💪 You heard @NDFootball! Vote @ndwbb for Best Play at the @ESPYS! VOTE 👉… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 16 hours ago
- What year did @NDFootball squad travel to Baltimore for its first game against the @NavyFB? #TriviaTuesday #GoIrish 18 hours ago
- On #WorldEmojiDay, tell us about your Irish fandom in emojis! ☘️💚 #GoIrish https://t.co/OZM5gWXex4 22 hours ago