Oct 4, 2012, 10:32 PM EDT
Although the Irish came in fourth at this past weekend’s tournament at Yale, they did not come home empty-handed. Junior Nial Platt carded a two-round total of 138 to earn his first collegiate victory.
“Winning the MacDonald Cup was definitely a big deal to me,” Platt said. “Winning a collegiate event was one of my goals this year and it was nice to check that off my list. The fact that it was my first was definitely special, especially since my parents got to see it.”
The junior from Santa Barbara, Calif., came to Notre Dame as a good player, but not a finished product. Since his time with the Irish, his hard work has allowed his game to become more complete and it is hard to argue with the results.
“My game has improved dramatically since freshman year,” Platt said. “As a freshman, I had to work harder to produce good scores because my ball striking wasn’t very good. Now all aspects of my game are pretty solid, especially my ball striking, so the game seems easier now.”
The Irish will face strong competition this weekend as they host the Fighting Irish Gridiron Golf Classic at Warren Golf Course. Although there have been some struggles, Platt said competing at home should benefit the team and he expects the Irish to have low scores.
“I expect our team to go out there this weekend and put on a solid performance. We haven’t played well in our first two tournaments but I think playing at home and getting a good week of practice in on our course will help us be ready to do the best we can,” Platt said.
“The home course advantage is huge. We are very comfortable with the shots we need to hit and know the greens better than anyone. We should have a great chance to win this week.”
The Fighting Irish Gridiron Golf Classic will begin this Sunday and continue through Tuesday. All rounds of competition will take place at the Warren Golf Course.
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Hand Buckeyes First Defeat Of Season In 12-7 Victory
- W. Rowing. Irish Compete At Longhorn Invitational
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Prepared to Battle Syracuse on the Road
- Baseball. Irish Fall In 13 Innings To No. 13 FSU
- Softball. Irish Execute Excellently In Twin Bill Sweep Of Virginia Tech
- Track. Meunier, Irish Wrap Day One of Raleigh Relays
- W. Basketball. Irish Elite in Historic Victory Over Buckeyes
- Swimming & Diving. No. 19 Notre Dame Has Solid Third Day at Men's Swimming and Diving at NCAA Championships
- W. Tennis. Irish Rally Comes Up Short In Conference Dual Against Wolfpack
- Football. Rocket Ismail: He’s Lived and Learned
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: 🏒 NCAA TOURNAMENT #4 @NDHockey vs. #1 Minnesota 3:30pm | ESPNU "If we play to what we're capable of, we can beat anyb… 2 hours ago
- 🏒 NCAA TOURNAMENT #4 @NDHockey vs. #1 Minnesota 3:30pm | ESPNU "If we play to what we're capable of, we can beat… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 🏀 TICKET PUNCHED @ndwbb rides Arike Ogunbowale's career-high 32 points to the #Elite8. ND 99 | Ohio State 76 https://t… 7 hours ago
- 🏀 TICKET PUNCHED @ndwbb rides Arike Ogunbowale's career-high 32 points to the #Elite8. ND 99 | Ohio State 76 https://t.co/vTKmbDZHr8 19 hours ago
- 🏀 8th Straight Sweet Sixteen! @ndwbb battles Ohio State for a spot in the #Elite8. #1 ND vs. #5 OSU 7pm | @ESPN https://t.co/Aov95koF8R 23 hours ago