Oct 4, 2012, 10:32 PM EST
Although the Irish came in fourth at this past weekend’s tournament at Yale, they did not come home empty-handed. Junior Nial Platt carded a two-round total of 138 to earn his first collegiate victory.
“Winning the MacDonald Cup was definitely a big deal to me,” Platt said. “Winning a collegiate event was one of my goals this year and it was nice to check that off my list. The fact that it was my first was definitely special, especially since my parents got to see it.”
The junior from Santa Barbara, Calif., came to Notre Dame as a good player, but not a finished product. Since his time with the Irish, his hard work has allowed his game to become more complete and it is hard to argue with the results.
“My game has improved dramatically since freshman year,” Platt said. “As a freshman, I had to work harder to produce good scores because my ball striking wasn’t very good. Now all aspects of my game are pretty solid, especially my ball striking, so the game seems easier now.”
The Irish will face strong competition this weekend as they host the Fighting Irish Gridiron Golf Classic at Warren Golf Course. Although there have been some struggles, Platt said competing at home should benefit the team and he expects the Irish to have low scores.
“I expect our team to go out there this weekend and put on a solid performance. We haven’t played well in our first two tournaments but I think playing at home and getting a good week of practice in on our course will help us be ready to do the best we can,” Platt said.
“The home course advantage is huge. We are very comfortable with the shots we need to hit and know the greens better than anyone. We should have a great chance to win this week.”
The Fighting Irish Gridiron Golf Classic will begin this Sunday and continue through Tuesday. All rounds of competition will take place at the Warren Golf Course.
- W. Basketball. Allen, No. 5 Irish Cruise Past Boston College on Senior Night
- Baseball. Tony Gwynn Classic Takes Irish To San Diego
- M. Tennis. Need To Know: Northwestern
- M. Lacrosse. Perkovic Honored as Postgraduate Scholarship Recipient
- Baseball. Chance Of Rain Alters Tony Gwynn Classic Schedule
- W. Tennis. Irish Capitalize In 5-2 Win Over Purdue
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Have Everything To Play For At Boston University
- W. Basketball. Irish Welcome Eagles On Senior Night
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Battle Phoenix to Open Road Trip
- General News. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘️PROGRAM FIRST This weekend, @NDXCTF hosts ACC Indoor Track & Field Championships for the 1st time. The team is… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 hour ago
- The Mike Brey Radio Show is LIVE, presented by the experts at Tire Rack. WATCH: UND.com/breyradioshow https://t.co/BA18vIgH8P 3 hours ago
- Thursday @ndwbb plays Boston College for a share of its 4th regular season ACC title. #TBT to ND's 81-70 win vs Du… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 7 hours ago
- 🏀 Which NBA legend does @NDmbb's Elijah Burns want to meet? Get to know Elijah on Inside ND Basketball. 📺… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- 🏀 This week the @NDmbb assistant coaches are on the road recruiting. Practice is all Coach Brey. 👀@NDMikeBrey https://t.co/Tee1WaFZQq 1 day ago