Oct 5, 2012, 12:33 AM EST
Student. Athlete. Irish.
Notre Dame middle blocker Hilary Eppink embraces the support fans have shown the past three seasons. Prior to her senior season playing at Purcell Pavilion, Eppink got the opportunity to thank season ticket holders and invite them back for another, as part of her internship with the Notre Dame marketing department.
“I thought it was a great experience, getting some hands-on projects and communicating with our season ticket holders,” the Westfield, Ind. native explained. “I was able to help design some posters and brochures while doing some online collaborating with our developers.”
And while her future likely holds a career in marketing after graduation, Eppink – one of two Irish seniors – is focused on finishing this season as a leader on and off the court. She says she has grown a lot personally since arriving on campus as a freshman.
“I’ve always been a quiet person by nature, but knowing I have to be assertive at times is something I’ve wanted to improve upon. I want to really take care of the younger players so that they feel comfortable and come to me if they have any questions. Staying together on and off the court and being there for them is big. Being a constant motivator and positive influence is something seniors need to bring to the table.”
Eppink has done her part this season, including last weekend in which the Irish split a pair of matches against Marquette and Syracuse. She compiled 23 kills on a .375 hitting percentage to go along with 8 blocks. Despite a few close losses to highly ranked opponents, Eppink feels the team has made great strides this season.
“We believe we’re a good team. Looking forward, we want to continue to win our BIG EAST matches and hopefully the tournament. The biggest thing is staying together as a team. It’s only the middle of the season, but pulling through and making plays is what we have to continue doing.”
- M. Golf. Irish End First Day at Prestige at PGA West
- W. Soccer. Norman ('07) Named Notre Dame Women's Soccer Head Coach
- Swimming & Diving. #19 Irish Roll Into ACCs For Conference Championship Meet
- Track & Field. Yared Nuguse Named ACC Track Performer of the Week
- Fencing. Irish Youth Perform Well At Junior Olympic Championships
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Comes Up Short Against Hurricanes, 77-74
- Baseball. Gilgenbach Garners ACC Co-Player of the Week Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Michigan Holds On For 1-0 Victory Over Notre Dame
- W. Tennis. Irish Sweep To Doubleheader Victories Over Indiana, Wright State
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Miami - Five Things To Know
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Kristina Nelson hit career highs in 3️⃣ categories as No. 5 @ndwbb downed Boston College on Sunday. Don't miss Kri… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 32 minutes ago
- Go behind-the-scenes of @NDmbb in the newest episode of Podward Notre Dame. The storytellers of Fighting Irish Med… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- 🥇 Samantha Viqueira 🥇 Stephen Ewart @NDFencing recorded top performances at the Junior Olympic National Champions… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- After @NDCoachNorman was introduced as the newest head coach of @NDSoccer, the well wishes poured in from around th… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 hours ago
- No. 19 @NDSwimDive is gearing up for action at the 2018 ACC Swimming and Diving Championships, starting Wednesday!… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 5 hours ago