Oct 5, 2012, 11:12 AM EST
The Irish men’s and women’s cross country teams were rewarded for their impressive performances in last week’s Notre Dame Invitational. After finishing 3rd overall in the Men’s Blue Race, the men’s team took a tremendous leap in this week’s USTFCCCA rankings, jumping eleven places from No. 24 to No. 13. Meanwhile, the women’s team jumped from No. 20 to No. 16, following its 2nd place finish in the Women’s Blue Race.
Both teams revealed that they can compete with the top runners from across the nation, and look poised for continued success as the season moves forward. Next up for the Irish is the Wisconsin Invitational, which takes place next Friday, October 12, at the Thomas Zimmer Championship Course in Madison, Wisc.
The meet will grant both the men and women opportunities to verify their new rankings. Among an elite field on the men’s side are six of the nation’s top-10 programs, including host and reigning national champion, No. 1 Wisconsin. The Irish are also looking to edge out No. 11 Princeton, who beat the men by the slightest of margins (four position points) for 2nd place in the Notre Dame Invitational.
The women will also face tough opposition, including five of the top-10 in the most recent women’s rankings. The Irish runners looked determined last week, finishing with a balanced pack led by junior Kelly Curran, who placed 15th overall with a time of 17:02. Their 2nd place finish, runner-up only to a dominant Florida State team that rose to No. 1 this week, was their best placement in the Invitational since 2003.
Rankings can mean very little until a team can back up the recognition it is receiving. For the Irish, their rises in the rankings are a nice confirmation of their hard work so far this season. However, as the runners would readily admit themselves, there is still a long way to go to achieve the ultimate goal of a No. 1 ranking.
- Football. #8 Irish Hold Off Midshipmen, 24-17
- W. Soccer. How Sweet It Is: Irish Prepared to Face Baylor
- M. Ice Hockey. 2019 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic Set For Notre Dame Stadium
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish Begin NCAA Journey Sunday Against #20 Wisconsin
- W. Soccer. Irish Use Penalty Kicks to Eliminate No. 2-Seeded Aggies
- Swimming & Diving. #13/18 Irish Off To Strong Start In Columbus
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Decimates Tar Heels In Straight-Set Sweep
- M. Ice Hockey. #4 Irish Down RPI 4-1 For Sixth Straight Win
- W. Basketball. No. 6/5 Women's Hoops to Head West on Oregon Trail
- Football. Notre Dame-Navy: Five Things to Watch
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Celebrating Senior Day the best way we know how, on the field with our friends and family. #GoIrish https://t.co/ItoEJgeRWd 7 minutes ago
- That’ll do it from Notre Dame Stadium, where @NDFootball defeats Navy, 24-17! Next up, Stanford. #GoIrish https://t.co/9ytOGrfW8p 1 hour ago
- Proud to stand with our friends from the Naval Academy during their alma mater. Thank you, always, for your servic… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- Gold always looks best in the fourth quarter. #GoIrish https://t.co/vbQmCNfrOF 2 hours ago
- Wimbush to Stepherson x ✌️ @NDFootball takes the 24-17 lead with 11:49 left in the fourth quarter! Get to NBC!… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago