Oct 5, 2012, 11:12 AM EDT
The Irish men’s and women’s cross country teams were rewarded for their impressive performances in last week’s Notre Dame Invitational. After finishing 3rd overall in the Men’s Blue Race, the men’s team took a tremendous leap in this week’s USTFCCCA rankings, jumping eleven places from No. 24 to No. 13. Meanwhile, the women’s team jumped from No. 20 to No. 16, following its 2nd place finish in the Women’s Blue Race.
Both teams revealed that they can compete with the top runners from across the nation, and look poised for continued success as the season moves forward. Next up for the Irish is the Wisconsin Invitational, which takes place next Friday, October 12, at the Thomas Zimmer Championship Course in Madison, Wisc.
The meet will grant both the men and women opportunities to verify their new rankings. Among an elite field on the men’s side are six of the nation’s top-10 programs, including host and reigning national champion, No. 1 Wisconsin. The Irish are also looking to edge out No. 11 Princeton, who beat the men by the slightest of margins (four position points) for 2nd place in the Notre Dame Invitational.
The women will also face tough opposition, including five of the top-10 in the most recent women’s rankings. The Irish runners looked determined last week, finishing with a balanced pack led by junior Kelly Curran, who placed 15th overall with a time of 17:02. Their 2nd place finish, runner-up only to a dominant Florida State team that rose to No. 1 this week, was their best placement in the Invitational since 2003.
Rankings can mean very little until a team can back up the recognition it is receiving. For the Irish, their rises in the rankings are a nice confirmation of their hard work so far this season. However, as the runners would readily admit themselves, there is still a long way to go to achieve the ultimate goal of a No. 1 ranking.
- Fencing. Stabrawa Named Fencing's Director of Operations
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Announces 2017-18 Schedule
- M. Soccer. Irish Release 2017 Soccer Slate
- M. Ice Hockey. Peeke And St. Cyr Invited To USA Camp
- Softball. Bazos To Represent Greece At Euro Championship
- Track & Field. Father’s Day: Running In The Aragon Family
- W. Tennis. Thompson Tapped To Lead Gophers As Head Coach
- Baseball. Irish Trio Of Bielak, Ruibal & Lidge Drafted
- M. Lacrosse. Epple Invited To U.S. National Team Tryouts
- W. Rowing. Boxberger Named CRCA Pocock All-American
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘️ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 GIFs #10 - @NDMenSoccer's ACC Offensive Player of the Year Jon Gallagher led @theACC in… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 11 hours ago
- ☘️ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Videos #10-Attention to detail 1st. Then work on the bigger picture. Josh Adams shows… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 12 hours ago
- 🏈 Countdown to Kickoff: 73 Days Flashback to the 1973 Sugar Bowl. When unbeaten @NDFootball downed #1 Alabama for… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 13 hours ago
- ☘YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Moments #10 - Steve Vasturia's 3-pointer with 2.5 seconds left in overtime clinches @NDmbb… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 17 hours ago
- ☘️ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Articles #10 - Davis Lamb wins match vs Seton Hall for @NDMensGolf tournament title. und.com/sports/m-golf/… 18 hours ago