Oct 9, 2012, 4:26 PM EST
The Irish may not have run the score up against the USA National Under-18 team, but they definitely looked more than promising. Big hits, phenomenal passing, and highlight reel moves were some of the high points of Sunday night’s game. Freshmen Peter Schneider was one of the more impressive players in the exhibition game. Early in the first period, he put beautiful a move on a USA defender which had the crowd cheering on its feet. Unfortunately, Schneider could not convert on the scoring chance—a prevalent theme for the Irish Sunday night. The Irish had many high percentage chances which they just could not seem to cash in on.
As it turned out, Team USA was the first to capitalize and get on the scoreboard despite the Irish leading in shots on goal for the entire game. Shane Eiserman of Team USA buried a goal in front of the net, set up by a pass from behind the net by USA’s Michael McCarron. Although the Irish fell behind, there never seemed to be a look of worry or panic in their play. They knew they were getting their chances and that the odds would turn in their favor eventually—and so they did.
As the Irish were breaking into the offensive zone in the third period, Mike Voran found David Gerths wide open in the slot where Gerths put a snap shot by USA goaltender Thatcher Demko, who had been a stone wall up until that point.
After regulation and a scoreless overtime, the exhibition went to a shootout. Through four rounds, the USA U-18 squad and the Irish matched one another. It wasn’t until the fifth round of the shootout that junior Bryan Rust of the Irish scored a SportsCenter-worthy goal to give the Fighting Irish the victory.
Notre Dame walked out of the Compton Family Ice Arena with high hopes and expectations for the season. Hopefully the Irish can build off this victory, and carry the momentum into next week’s games against Minnesota-Duluth.
- W. Basketball. Allen, No. 5 Irish Cruise Past Boston College on Senior Night
- Baseball. Tony Gwynn Classic Takes Irish To San Diego
- M. Tennis. Need To Know: Northwestern
- M. Lacrosse. Perkovic Honored as Postgraduate Scholarship Recipient
- Baseball. Chance Of Rain Alters Tony Gwynn Classic Schedule
- W. Tennis. Irish Capitalize In 5-2 Win Over Purdue
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Have Everything To Play For At Boston University
- W. Basketball. Irish Welcome Eagles On Senior Night
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Battle Phoenix to Open Road Trip
- General News. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- IRISH DOMINATE ON SENIOR NIGHT Lindsay Allen's season-high 18 points leads #5 @ndwbb to an 82-45 win over Boston C… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 14 minutes ago
- ☘️PROGRAM FIRST This weekend, @NDXCTF hosts ACC Indoor Track & Field Championships for the 1st time. The team is… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 hour ago
- The Mike Brey Radio Show is LIVE, presented by the experts at Tire Rack. WATCH: UND.com/breyradioshow https://t.co/BA18vIgH8P 3 hours ago
- Thursday @ndwbb plays Boston College for a share of its 4th regular season ACC title. #TBT to ND's 81-70 win vs Du… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 7 hours ago
- 🏀 Which NBA legend does @NDmbb's Elijah Burns want to meet? Get to know Elijah on Inside ND Basketball. 📺… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago