Oct 11, 2012, 10:06 AM EDT
This Friday, the Notre Dame cross country team will be in action in Madison, Wis. for the Wisconsin Invitational. The Irish women are entering the meet ranked 16th in the nation according to the Division I U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) poll.
Two weeks ago, junior Kelly Curran paced the Irish finishing 15th in the Notre Dame Invitational 5-kilometer race with a time of 17:01.84.
The Bloomington, Ill. native looks to continue her success as the 2012 campaign advances. After two top-15 finishes in her first two races this season, Curran looks poised to be an Irish front runner for the remaining contests.
“I think the first two races were great,” Curran said. “However, I think we still have a lot left. I look forward to growing with this team and continuing to improve my teamwork with Rebecca [Tracy].”
For Curran and the Irish, the races stretch a little farther starting in Madison.
“We move to a 6K race on Friday.” Curran said. “That’s an extra kilometer for us, so there is going to be a slight adjustment.”
As a three-sport athlete in high school, Curran won six individual state championships and two team championships. She also achieved valedictorian status in high school, making her the definition of student-athlete.
The Curran family is no stranger to Notre Dame either, as Kelly has two older brothers who also attended the University.
“My favorite Notre Dame moment was the tenth anniversary service of Sept. 11th,” Curran said. “It was an incredible bonding experience for the team and the University.”
Curran and the Irish will run Friday Oct. 12 at 12 p.m. CT. Times will be updated to und.com shortly after the conclusion of the race.
- Baseball. Notre Dame Wraps ACC Tournament Play
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Falls In First Round of NCAA Championships
- General News. Notre Dame Among Leaders in NCAA APR Four-Year Numbers
- M. Basketball. Irish Set To Face Oklahoma In Madison Square Garden
- Baseball. Irish Lose Lead Late, Fall to Miami
- Track & Field. Keys To The Meet: NCAA East Regionals
- Baseball. Tales From the Eck: A Blog by Collin Stoecker
- Track & Field. Alan Turner Will Not Return as Irish Cross Country/Track and Field Coach
- Baseball. Irish Land Three on All-ACC Teams
- Baseball. Tully, Irish Open ACC Tournament Play
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- It's about more than just world-class facilities -- and @NDMensGolf has the culture to match it. #GoIrish https://t.co/bBlsdZLxIk 10 hours ago
- Back to the Big Apple! 🍎🏀 @NDmbb is headed back to @TheGarden to face Oklahoma in the Jimmy V Men's Basketball Cla… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 11 hours ago
- ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ⬆️ That's how many Irish programs earned perfect Academic Progress Rate scores… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 13 hours ago
- 🏅 Midwest Assistant Coach of the Year 🏅 Player to Watch @NDMensTennis brought home ✌️ regional Intercollegiate Ten… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 13 hours ago
- “It is an honor to be a part of @usabasketball." @NDmbb head coach @NDMikeBrey is headed to the Olympic Training C… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 16 hours ago