Oct 11, 2012, 10:06 AM EDT
This Friday, the Notre Dame cross country team will be in action in Madison, Wis. for the Wisconsin Invitational. The Irish women are entering the meet ranked 16th in the nation according to the Division I U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) poll.
Two weeks ago, junior Kelly Curran paced the Irish finishing 15th in the Notre Dame Invitational 5-kilometer race with a time of 17:01.84.
The Bloomington, Ill. native looks to continue her success as the 2012 campaign advances. After two top-15 finishes in her first two races this season, Curran looks poised to be an Irish front runner for the remaining contests.
“I think the first two races were great,” Curran said. “However, I think we still have a lot left. I look forward to growing with this team and continuing to improve my teamwork with Rebecca [Tracy].”
For Curran and the Irish, the races stretch a little farther starting in Madison.
“We move to a 6K race on Friday.” Curran said. “That’s an extra kilometer for us, so there is going to be a slight adjustment.”
As a three-sport athlete in high school, Curran won six individual state championships and two team championships. She also achieved valedictorian status in high school, making her the definition of student-athlete.
The Curran family is no stranger to Notre Dame either, as Kelly has two older brothers who also attended the University.
“My favorite Notre Dame moment was the tenth anniversary service of Sept. 11th,” Curran said. “It was an incredible bonding experience for the team and the University.”
Curran and the Irish will run Friday Oct. 12 at 12 p.m. CT. Times will be updated to und.com shortly after the conclusion of the race.
- Softball. Irish Resume With Wildcats In Evanston
- M. Lacrosse. Wynne Receives ACC Player Of The Week Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Bjork And Petersen Share MVP Honors
- W. Tennis. Irish Drop Season Finale To Clemson, 6-1
- M. Tennis. Hagar Provides A Bright Spot In 5-2 Loss To Wake Forest
- Softball. Virginia Sweeps Irish With 10-6 Sunday Win
- Track. Irish Close Record-Setting Day at Baylor
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Earn No. 4 Seed In ACC Tournament
- M. Golf. Golfers Conclude ACCs in 10th
- Football. Sunday Brunch: Irish Football ‘Process’ Ongoing
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Anna Rohrer ran her 1st 10K in April. She set ACC & @NDXCTF records. Ran fastest 10K of 2017 in the World. Donate… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 hour ago
- ☘ 765 Wins at ND 🏆 2001 @NCAA Champ 🏀 Naismith Hall of Famer Coach McGraw discusses her @ndwbb journey. Donate:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 hours ago
- The Man. The Myth. The Legend. 1988 NCAA title team coach Lou Holtz looks back at his @NDFootball career. Donate:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 hours ago
- 🏅 2 @ACCTrackField Titles ☘ @NDXCTF Record in 800m Jessica Harris shines in the 2017 Track & Field season. Donate… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 hours ago
- What's it like to compete in the Olympics? @NDRowing's FIRST Olympic Gold Medalist Amanda Polk knows! Watch/Donat… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 7 hours ago