Oct 11, 2012, 10:06 AM EDT
This Friday, the Notre Dame cross country team will be in action in Madison, Wis. for the Wisconsin Invitational. The Irish women are entering the meet ranked 16th in the nation according to the Division I U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) poll.
Two weeks ago, junior Kelly Curran paced the Irish finishing 15th in the Notre Dame Invitational 5-kilometer race with a time of 17:01.84.
The Bloomington, Ill. native looks to continue her success as the 2012 campaign advances. After two top-15 finishes in her first two races this season, Curran looks poised to be an Irish front runner for the remaining contests.
“I think the first two races were great,” Curran said. “However, I think we still have a lot left. I look forward to growing with this team and continuing to improve my teamwork with Rebecca [Tracy].”
For Curran and the Irish, the races stretch a little farther starting in Madison.
“We move to a 6K race on Friday.” Curran said. “That’s an extra kilometer for us, so there is going to be a slight adjustment.”
As a three-sport athlete in high school, Curran won six individual state championships and two team championships. She also achieved valedictorian status in high school, making her the definition of student-athlete.
The Curran family is no stranger to Notre Dame either, as Kelly has two older brothers who also attended the University.
“My favorite Notre Dame moment was the tenth anniversary service of Sept. 11th,” Curran said. “It was an incredible bonding experience for the team and the University.”
Curran and the Irish will run Friday Oct. 12 at 12 p.m. CT. Times will be updated to und.com shortly after the conclusion of the race.
- W. Soccer. Irish Set to Battle #4 Duke
- Football. Notre Dame-Michigan State Preview: Reminisce Then Rally
- M. Soccer. #1 Irish Break Competitive Bowling Green Spirit In 2-1 Win
- W. Volleyball. Five Favorite Photos Of The Week
- M. Golf. NCAA Connection Takes Irish Golfer to Haiti
- M. Ice Hockey. Evans To Captain Irish In 2017-18
- Football. Megaphone On The Line For Irish & Spartans
- W. Soccer. Jacobs Nets ACC Player of the Week Honor
- M. Soccer. #2 Irish And #19 Bowling Green Meet Tuesday At Alumni Stadium
- W. Volleyball. Fry Named ACC Volleyball Player Of The Week
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @NCAA: Connection made at college golf event leads Notre Dame junior Miguel Delgado to volunteer trip in Haiti: ntrda.me/2ydiHpi… 16 hours ago
- ☝️#1 @NDMenSoccer took on Bowling Green in a midweek tussle & stayed undefeated (6-0-0) with a 2-1 victory.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: Have 60 seconds? Then see the @NDSportsBlogger review the weekend in ND sports with highlights from @NDMenSoccer, @NDVo… 1 day ago
- LIGHT UP #1!!!! After a 5-0-0 start, @NDMenSoccer has ascended to #1 in the @UnitedCoaches Men's NCAA Soccer Poll!… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- Go INSIDE the locker room as @NDfootball dominated BC, 49-20, racking up 600+ yards of offense in the process.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago