Oct 11, 2012, 10:06 AM EDT
This Friday, the Notre Dame cross country team will be in action in Madison, Wis. for the Wisconsin Invitational. The Irish women are entering the meet ranked 16th in the nation according to the Division I U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) poll.
Two weeks ago, junior Kelly Curran paced the Irish finishing 15th in the Notre Dame Invitational 5-kilometer race with a time of 17:01.84.
The Bloomington, Ill. native looks to continue her success as the 2012 campaign advances. After two top-15 finishes in her first two races this season, Curran looks poised to be an Irish front runner for the remaining contests.
“I think the first two races were great,” Curran said. “However, I think we still have a lot left. I look forward to growing with this team and continuing to improve my teamwork with Rebecca [Tracy].”
For Curran and the Irish, the races stretch a little farther starting in Madison.
“We move to a 6K race on Friday.” Curran said. “That’s an extra kilometer for us, so there is going to be a slight adjustment.”
As a three-sport athlete in high school, Curran won six individual state championships and two team championships. She also achieved valedictorian status in high school, making her the definition of student-athlete.
The Curran family is no stranger to Notre Dame either, as Kelly has two older brothers who also attended the University.
“My favorite Notre Dame moment was the tenth anniversary service of Sept. 11th,” Curran said. “It was an incredible bonding experience for the team and the University.”
Curran and the Irish will run Friday Oct. 12 at 12 p.m. CT. Times will be updated to und.com shortly after the conclusion of the race.
- Fencing. Three Former Irish Fencers Pick Up Team Medals At Senior World Championships
- W. Lacrosse. Women's Lacrosse Continues Academic Success
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Inside The Stadium
- M. Basketball. Select-A-Seat Returns August 5
- M. Golf. Men's Golf Unveils 2017-18 Schedule
- Softball. Cassidy Whidden (B.A. '15, M.Ed. '17) Returns To Irish Softball Fold
- W. Tennis. Women's Tennis Welcomes Back Dasso ('01) As Assistant Coach
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Fan Experience
- M. Basketball. Men’s Basketball - Summer Headlines
- Swimming & Diving. World Championships Underway For Plaschka
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘ When you make it to ND Stadium... You'll find signage of historic @NDFootball program covers in the concourse.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 hours ago
- 🇺🇸 2x Olympian ☘ 4x NCAA Champ 🌎 #1 World Ranking Lee Kiefer ('17) leaves her @NDFencing legacy. FULL VIDEO:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 hours ago
- ☘ Navigating Notre Dame Stadium just got a whole lot easier. New signage in the concourse will lead you to your se… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 20 hours ago
- 🏈Countdown to Kickoff: 39 Days #39 Braxston Banks played for @NDFootball’s 1988 NCAA title team. He scored the 2n… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 21 hours ago
- ☘ The view of Notre Dame Stadium from the video board! Ready for 80,000+ @NDFootball fans. #NDBiggerThanBrick https://t.co/lK6hUMxrTG 1 day ago