Oct 11, 2012, 10:06 AM EST
This Friday, the Notre Dame cross country team will be in action in Madison, Wis. for the Wisconsin Invitational. The Irish women are entering the meet ranked 16th in the nation according to the Division I U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) poll.
Two weeks ago, junior Kelly Curran paced the Irish finishing 15th in the Notre Dame Invitational 5-kilometer race with a time of 17:01.84.
The Bloomington, Ill. native looks to continue her success as the 2012 campaign advances. After two top-15 finishes in her first two races this season, Curran looks poised to be an Irish front runner for the remaining contests.
“I think the first two races were great,” Curran said. “However, I think we still have a lot left. I look forward to growing with this team and continuing to improve my teamwork with Rebecca [Tracy].”
For Curran and the Irish, the races stretch a little farther starting in Madison.
“We move to a 6K race on Friday.” Curran said. “That’s an extra kilometer for us, so there is going to be a slight adjustment.”
As a three-sport athlete in high school, Curran won six individual state championships and two team championships. She also achieved valedictorian status in high school, making her the definition of student-athlete.
The Curran family is no stranger to Notre Dame either, as Kelly has two older brothers who also attended the University.
“My favorite Notre Dame moment was the tenth anniversary service of Sept. 11th,” Curran said. “It was an incredible bonding experience for the team and the University.”
Curran and the Irish will run Friday Oct. 12 at 12 p.m. CT. Times will be updated to und.com shortly after the conclusion of the race.
- Swimming & Diving. #13/18 Irish Remain In The Hunt At OSU Fall Invite
- M. Ice Hockey. Morrison Tallies Overtime Winner As #4 Irish Down RPI 1-0
- Football. #8 Irish Hold Off Midshipmen, 24-17
- W. Soccer. How Sweet It Is: Irish Prepared to Face Baylor
- M. Ice Hockey. 2019 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic Set For Notre Dame Stadium
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish Begin NCAA Journey Sunday Against #20 Wisconsin
- W. Soccer. Irish Use Penalty Kicks to Eliminate No. 2-Seeded Aggies
- Swimming & Diving. #13/18 Irish Off To Strong Start In Columbus
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Decimates Tar Heels In Straight-Set Sweep
- M. Ice Hockey. #4 Irish Down RPI 4-1 For Sixth Straight Win
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- No. 8️⃣ @NDFootball took down Navy in the final home game of the 2017 season at Notre Dame Stadium. #GoIrish https://t.co/QQUR9IWSog 6 hours ago
- Celebrating Senior Day the best way we know how, on the field with our friends and family. #GoIrish https://t.co/ItoEJgeRWd 7 hours ago
- That’ll do it from Notre Dame Stadium, where @NDFootball defeats Navy, 24-17! Next up, Stanford. #GoIrish https://t.co/9ytOGrfW8p 9 hours ago
- Proud to stand with our friends from the Naval Academy during their alma mater. Thank you, always, for your servic… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 9 hours ago
- Gold always looks best in the fourth quarter. #GoIrish https://t.co/vbQmCNfrOF 9 hours ago