Oct 12, 2012, 1:41 PM EST
The history of Notre Dame athletics is full of legends. Whether Knute Rockne, the Gipper or any of the individuals who have brought national fame to the university, they have all made significant contributions to the University of Notre Dame. One of these legends is long-time Notre Dame swimming and diving coach Dennis Stark. Later today, the swimming and diving programs will honor him once again with the annual Dennis Stark Relays. Stark was the men’s swimming and diving coach from 1958-85 and coached the Irish women’s swimming and diving program from its inception in 1981 until 1985.
Today the Irish welcome Cleveland State, Illinois State, IUPUI and Oakland to the Rolfs Aquatic Center for the 48th annual Dennis Stark Relays. The meet was formerly called the Notre Dame Relays but was renamed in Stark’s honor in 2003.
This meet is not your average college swimming dual meet as it is comprised completely of relays. The meet schedule consists of a number of unusual relays as well, that will provide a fun atmosphere to kick off the swimming and diving slate. Additionally, the squads will compete off the 3-meter springboard in synchronized diving, an event that does not occur in any other meet format.
The Irish men are entering this season with high hopes after a 2011-12 campaign that took the Irish program to new heights. Junior Frank Dyer made the biggest splash as he became the first ever Notre Dame swimmer to score points at the NCAA Championships with his fourth-place finish. In addition, Notre Dame sent multiple swimmers to the NCAAs for the first time in program history. The Irish also knocked off favorite Louisville in the 2012 BIG EAST Championships to bring the title back to South Bend.
The Notre Dame women are also poised for a great year, as they are coming off a very successful season in which they sent multiple swimmers to the NCAA Championships as well. Sophomore Emma Reaney led the Irish with three All-American certificates as Notre Dame finished in 22nd place overall.
The Dennis Stark Relays will begin at 5:00 p.m. and will be broadcast live online at und.com.
- M. Golf. Irish End First Day at Prestige at PGA West
- W. Soccer. Norman ('07) Named Notre Dame Women's Soccer Head Coach
- Swimming & Diving. #19 Irish Roll Into ACCs For Conference Championship Meet
- Track & Field. Yared Nuguse Named ACC Track Performer of the Week
- Fencing. Irish Youth Perform Well At Junior Olympic Championships
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Comes Up Short Against Hurricanes, 77-74
- Baseball. Gilgenbach Garners ACC Co-Player of the Week Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Michigan Holds On For 1-0 Victory Over Notre Dame
- W. Tennis. Irish Sweep To Doubleheader Victories Over Indiana, Wright State
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Miami - Five Things To Know
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Kristina Nelson hit career highs in 3️⃣ categories as No. 5 @ndwbb downed Boston College on Sunday. Don't miss Kri… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 39 minutes ago
- Go behind-the-scenes of @NDmbb in the newest episode of Podward Notre Dame. The storytellers of Fighting Irish Med… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- 🥇 Samantha Viqueira 🥇 Stephen Ewart @NDFencing recorded top performances at the Junior Olympic National Champions… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- After @NDCoachNorman was introduced as the newest head coach of @NDSoccer, the well wishes poured in from around th… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 hours ago
- No. 19 @NDSwimDive is gearing up for action at the 2018 ACC Swimming and Diving Championships, starting Wednesday!… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 5 hours ago