Oct 12, 2012, 1:41 PM EDT
The history of Notre Dame athletics is full of legends. Whether Knute Rockne, the Gipper or any of the individuals who have brought national fame to the university, they have all made significant contributions to the University of Notre Dame. One of these legends is long-time Notre Dame swimming and diving coach Dennis Stark. Later today, the swimming and diving programs will honor him once again with the annual Dennis Stark Relays. Stark was the men’s swimming and diving coach from 1958-85 and coached the Irish women’s swimming and diving program from its inception in 1981 until 1985.
Today the Irish welcome Cleveland State, Illinois State, IUPUI and Oakland to the Rolfs Aquatic Center for the 48th annual Dennis Stark Relays. The meet was formerly called the Notre Dame Relays but was renamed in Stark’s honor in 2003.
This meet is not your average college swimming dual meet as it is comprised completely of relays. The meet schedule consists of a number of unusual relays as well, that will provide a fun atmosphere to kick off the swimming and diving slate. Additionally, the squads will compete off the 3-meter springboard in synchronized diving, an event that does not occur in any other meet format.
The Irish men are entering this season with high hopes after a 2011-12 campaign that took the Irish program to new heights. Junior Frank Dyer made the biggest splash as he became the first ever Notre Dame swimmer to score points at the NCAA Championships with his fourth-place finish. In addition, Notre Dame sent multiple swimmers to the NCAAs for the first time in program history. The Irish also knocked off favorite Louisville in the 2012 BIG EAST Championships to bring the title back to South Bend.
The Notre Dame women are also poised for a great year, as they are coming off a very successful season in which they sent multiple swimmers to the NCAA Championships as well. Sophomore Emma Reaney led the Irish with three All-American certificates as Notre Dame finished in 22nd place overall.
The Dennis Stark Relays will begin at 5:00 p.m. and will be broadcast live online at und.com.
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Volleyball Unveils 2018 Schedule
- M. Golf. Two Irish Golfers Named to All-ACC Academic Team
- Track & Field. Harris Named First Team Academic All-American
- Football. WATCH: Freshmen Move In
- W. Golf. Irish Trio Earn 2018 All-ACC Academic Team Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Brauer Signs With South Carolina Stingrays
- W. Soccer. Challenging 2018 Schedule Announced For Women's Soccer
- W. Basketball. Women's Basketball Nominated for Three ESPYS
- Track & Field. Irish Set To Compete At USA Track & Field Championships
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Announce Incoming Class
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- The #NDFamily is everywhere! 🇪🇸 As @NDLacrosse took in the sights of Madrid, @NotreDame alum Matthew Kineen taught… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 15 hours ago
- 🏀 Best Team ☑️ @ndwbb 🏀 Best Moment ☑️ @ndwbb 🏀 Best Play ☑️ @ndwbb Yep, you know who we're voting for. Give… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 17 hours ago
- 👟 @NDXCTF is lacing up its shoes for @usatf Championships! 8️⃣ current and former Irish track and field athletes a… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 19 hours ago
- 🎤 Tap tap. Is this thing on? Your favorite Irish moments are now LIVE on #IGTV! Follow @ thefightingirish on Insta… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 21 hours ago
- 😎☘️ #FirstDayOfSummer #GoIrish https://t.co/dFx5PZilJS 23 hours ago