Oct 20, 2012, 10:07 AM EST
Hello, Notre Dame sports fans. If you are a fan of both ND baseball and fencing, you’re in the right place. Pete LaFleur checking in here from the Joyce Center, moments from the dedication of the impressive new facilities for the Notre Dame fencing program. There also is a weekend-long reunion going on for the Notre Dame College World Series teams (1957 and 2002).
So, as a former media contact for both teams within the Notre Dame Sports Information Office, I will be doing my best over the next few days to share some observations, breaking news, etc. from the baseball reunion and fencing dedication. We had a great baseball reception Friday night with members of the two CWS teams, at the Warren Golf Course (more on the baseball reunion later).
The fencing operation essentially has shifted to the old hockey venue. Currently, a full allotment of 18 fencing strips are laid out “inside the curtain” where the old hockey rink was located (in the Joyce Center Fieldhouse, or south dome). Both teams now have impressive full locker rooms, with stylized nameplates, etc. There also is a spacious office space for the coaches and a team lounge area.
… Essentially, a huge upgrade from the cramped and outdated setup that existed previously.
Each of the past three head coaches – Mike DeCicco, Yves Auriol and Janusz Bednarski – are on hand for this special dedication. As some of you may know, the Castellan Family Fencing Center is a gift of Patrick and Concetta Castellan. Patrick is a 1968 ND graduate and his sons Matt and Chris were recent members of the ND fencing program.
Plenty of the usual suspects from the ND fencing “subculture” are on hand, in addition to all of the current team. Bumped into the stellar 4-year men’s sabre duo of Avery Zuck and Barron Nydam – who were blown away as they checked out the men’s fencing team locker room. Also see recent men’s foil standout Enzo Castellani, sure to be many more.
OK, will be checking in later. Will try to pass along some quick snapshots and there will be more formal photos as well. – PL
- Football. #8 Irish Hold Off Midshipmen, 24-17
- W. Soccer. How Sweet It Is: Irish Prepared to Face Baylor
- M. Ice Hockey. 2019 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic Set For Notre Dame Stadium
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish Begin NCAA Journey Sunday Against #20 Wisconsin
- W. Soccer. Irish Use Penalty Kicks to Eliminate No. 2-Seeded Aggies
- Swimming & Diving. #13/18 Irish Off To Strong Start In Columbus
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Decimates Tar Heels In Straight-Set Sweep
- M. Ice Hockey. #4 Irish Down RPI 4-1 For Sixth Straight Win
- W. Basketball. No. 6/5 Women's Hoops to Head West on Oregon Trail
- Football. Notre Dame-Navy: Five Things to Watch
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.