Oct 20, 2012, 10:07 AM EDT
Hello, Notre Dame sports fans. If you are a fan of both ND baseball and fencing, you’re in the right place. Pete LaFleur checking in here from the Joyce Center, moments from the dedication of the impressive new facilities for the Notre Dame fencing program. There also is a weekend-long reunion going on for the Notre Dame College World Series teams (1957 and 2002).
So, as a former media contact for both teams within the Notre Dame Sports Information Office, I will be doing my best over the next few days to share some observations, breaking news, etc. from the baseball reunion and fencing dedication. We had a great baseball reception Friday night with members of the two CWS teams, at the Warren Golf Course (more on the baseball reunion later).
The fencing operation essentially has shifted to the old hockey venue. Currently, a full allotment of 18 fencing strips are laid out “inside the curtain” where the old hockey rink was located (in the Joyce Center Fieldhouse, or south dome). Both teams now have impressive full locker rooms, with stylized nameplates, etc. There also is a spacious office space for the coaches and a team lounge area.
… Essentially, a huge upgrade from the cramped and outdated setup that existed previously.
Each of the past three head coaches – Mike DeCicco, Yves Auriol and Janusz Bednarski – are on hand for this special dedication. As some of you may know, the Castellan Family Fencing Center is a gift of Patrick and Concetta Castellan. Patrick is a 1968 ND graduate and his sons Matt and Chris were recent members of the ND fencing program.
Plenty of the usual suspects from the ND fencing “subculture” are on hand, in addition to all of the current team. Bumped into the stellar 4-year men’s sabre duo of Avery Zuck and Barron Nydam – who were blown away as they checked out the men’s fencing team locker room. Also see recent men’s foil standout Enzo Castellani, sure to be many more.
OK, will be checking in later. Will try to pass along some quick snapshots and there will be more formal photos as well. – PL
- Swimming & Diving. #19 Irish Ready For Speedy NCAA Championship Week
- Track & Field. Nathan Richartz Named ACC Field Performer Of The Week
- Softball. Irish And Western Michigan Game Rescheduled For April 17
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Set To Host Michigan In Midweek Matchup
- M. Basketball. Matt Farrell Invited To All-Star Three-Point Challenge
- Baseball. Notre Dame Hosts NIU in Home Opener
- General News. Social Rewind: @ndwbb vs. Villanova - NCAA Tournament
- M. Basketball. Final Words
- Fencing. Kiefer Snares Bronze At FIE Grand Prix
- M. Lacrosse. Sexton And Wynne Named ACC Players Of The Week
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- After @NDHockey won the Big Ten Tournament title came the celebrations! 🎉 Take an inside look at the Irish win bef… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 6 hours ago
- After @ndwbb advanced to its NINTH straight #Sweet16, @MuffetMcGraw takes you inside the locker room with the Irish… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 7 hours ago
- "Enjoy this, but there are even more prizes ahead." With a Big Ten Tournament title under their belts, go behind-t… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 8 hours ago
- Before @NDLacrosse takes on Michigan on Wednesday at 4 p.m., take an inside look 👀 back at the top-10 win vs. Virgi… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 9 hours ago
- The lines are painted. The dugouts are set. The popcorn's popped. @NDBaseball is back, Tuesday at 6 p.m. ET on AC… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 10 hours ago