Oct 20, 2012, 10:07 AM EDT
Hello, Notre Dame sports fans. If you are a fan of both ND baseball and fencing, you’re in the right place. Pete LaFleur checking in here from the Joyce Center, moments from the dedication of the impressive new facilities for the Notre Dame fencing program. There also is a weekend-long reunion going on for the Notre Dame College World Series teams (1957 and 2002).
So, as a former media contact for both teams within the Notre Dame Sports Information Office, I will be doing my best over the next few days to share some observations, breaking news, etc. from the baseball reunion and fencing dedication. We had a great baseball reception Friday night with members of the two CWS teams, at the Warren Golf Course (more on the baseball reunion later).
The fencing operation essentially has shifted to the old hockey venue. Currently, a full allotment of 18 fencing strips are laid out “inside the curtain” where the old hockey rink was located (in the Joyce Center Fieldhouse, or south dome). Both teams now have impressive full locker rooms, with stylized nameplates, etc. There also is a spacious office space for the coaches and a team lounge area.
… Essentially, a huge upgrade from the cramped and outdated setup that existed previously.
Each of the past three head coaches – Mike DeCicco, Yves Auriol and Janusz Bednarski – are on hand for this special dedication. As some of you may know, the Castellan Family Fencing Center is a gift of Patrick and Concetta Castellan. Patrick is a 1968 ND graduate and his sons Matt and Chris were recent members of the ND fencing program.
Plenty of the usual suspects from the ND fencing “subculture” are on hand, in addition to all of the current team. Bumped into the stellar 4-year men’s sabre duo of Avery Zuck and Barron Nydam – who were blown away as they checked out the men’s fencing team locker room. Also see recent men’s foil standout Enzo Castellani, sure to be many more.
OK, will be checking in later. Will try to pass along some quick snapshots and there will be more formal photos as well. – PL
- W. Soccer. Irish Set to Battle #4 Duke
- Football. Notre Dame-Michigan State Preview: Reminisce Then Rally
- M. Soccer. #1 Irish Break Competitive Bowling Green Spirit In 2-1 Win
- W. Volleyball. Five Favorite Photos Of The Week
- M. Golf. NCAA Connection Takes Irish Golfer to Haiti
- M. Ice Hockey. Evans To Captain Irish In 2017-18
- Football. Megaphone On The Line For Irish & Spartans
- W. Soccer. Jacobs Nets ACC Player of the Week Honor
- M. Soccer. #2 Irish And #19 Bowling Green Meet Tuesday At Alumni Stadium
- W. Volleyball. Fry Named ACC Volleyball Player Of The Week
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @NCAA: Connection made at college golf event leads Notre Dame junior Miguel Delgado to volunteer trip in Haiti: ntrda.me/2ydiHpi… 18 hours ago
- ☝️#1 @NDMenSoccer took on Bowling Green in a midweek tussle & stayed undefeated (6-0-0) with a 2-1 victory.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: Have 60 seconds? Then see the @NDSportsBlogger review the weekend in ND sports with highlights from @NDMenSoccer, @NDVo… 1 day ago
- LIGHT UP #1!!!! After a 5-0-0 start, @NDMenSoccer has ascended to #1 in the @UnitedCoaches Men's NCAA Soccer Poll!… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- Go INSIDE the locker room as @NDfootball dominated BC, 49-20, racking up 600+ yards of offense in the process.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago