Oct 22, 2012, 2:35 PM EST
Notre Dame volleyball has now won six straight BIG EAST matches following a pair of road victories against Georgetown and Villanova over the weekend. During the streak, Debbie Brown‘s club has only lost one set (to St. John’s on Oct. 7). The Irish stand strong with an overall record of 15-6 and a conference record of 8-1, which is good for second place in the BIG EAST. The Irish only trail No. 15 Louisville in the standings, a team they beat earlier this season away from Purcell Pavilion, with six regular season matches left on the slate.
Key for Notre Dame this season have been sophomore outside hitter Toni Alugbue and junior outside hitter Andrea McHugh. Both players bring an incredible level of versatility to the Irish attack each night, in addition to leadership skills on and off the court. Alugbue leads the team in kills and has been recognized by the BIG EAST conference multiple times for her explosive hitting and consistent play. On Sept. 24, she was named BIG EAST Player of the Week for the first time in her career, and has been a part of the conference Honor Roll on three separate occasions this season.
Under the radar on most accounts is McHugh, arguably Notre Dame’s most valuable player because of what she does that seemingly goes unnoticed. You might call her the “glue” that holds the Irish together through thick and thin. Her strong defense, offensive prowess, and craftiness as a player have given the team necessary boosts in close matches throughout the year. It’s exactly what you might expect from a wily veteran who understands the concept that team play always trumps individual play.
This weekend, Notre Dame will host Pittsburgh on Friday and South Florida on Sunday as it looks to build on its current winning streak. Be sure to check out both matches in person or via live video streaming on und.com (NOTE: Friday’s game will be played in the Joyce Center Fieldhouse, due to the Pacers vs. Bulls NBA preseason game, and will therefore not be streamed). Sunday’s tilt against the Bulls will be the annual Dig Pink match to raise awareness for breast cancer at Purcell Pavilion.
- M. Basketball. Quotes
- M. Basketball. No. 17 Notre Dame Falls Short to Monmouth, 70-68
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Falls At Syracuse In Four Sets
- W. Volleyball. Fry, Morningstar Honored By ACC
- Football. Notre Dame-Stanford 2015 Preview: No Question on Irish Stakes This Week
- M. Ice Hockey. No. 18 Irish To Host The Sixth Installment of the Shillelagh Tournament
- Softball. January Softball Instructional Sessions To Be Offered
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Looks To Build Towards 2016 During Final Weekend
- W. Basketball. #3 Irish Ball In Bahamas Over Thanksgiving
- Football. Brian Kelly Weekly Media Conference Transcript - vs. Stanford
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🏈 One last stand... Now finish the mission. #6 @NDFootball vs. #9 Stanford Get HYPE with this week's PRIMER amp.twimg.com/v/92ead2c5-60b… 19 hours ago
- 🍀We're thankful for this epic 3rd grade class They'll be at @NDFootball vs Stanford READ: und.com/blog/2015/11/m… https://t.co/HDB4xsFquB 22 hours ago
- ☀️ SOAK UP THE SUN 😎 🏀 #3 @ndwbb to play in the Bahamas over Thanksgiving READ: und.com/sports/w-baskb… https://t.co/T6UKcajaZc 1 day ago
- 🍀BLACK FRIDAY SALE Up to 50% off tix for 🏀@ndwbb 🏒@NDHockey 🔥@NDmbb 11/25-11/30 TIX: ev12.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncomme… https://t.co/Jty8o5wkgQ 1 day ago
- 🎤 ND STREET SMARTS We took to the streets of Boston to find fans who know their @NDFootball trivia amp.twimg.com/v/abbff793-4e8… 1 day ago