Oct 22, 2012, 2:35 PM EDT
Notre Dame volleyball has now won six straight BIG EAST matches following a pair of road victories against Georgetown and Villanova over the weekend. During the streak, Debbie Brown‘s club has only lost one set (to St. John’s on Oct. 7). The Irish stand strong with an overall record of 15-6 and a conference record of 8-1, which is good for second place in the BIG EAST. The Irish only trail No. 15 Louisville in the standings, a team they beat earlier this season away from Purcell Pavilion, with six regular season matches left on the slate.
Key for Notre Dame this season have been sophomore outside hitter Toni Alugbue and junior outside hitter Andrea McHugh. Both players bring an incredible level of versatility to the Irish attack each night, in addition to leadership skills on and off the court. Alugbue leads the team in kills and has been recognized by the BIG EAST conference multiple times for her explosive hitting and consistent play. On Sept. 24, she was named BIG EAST Player of the Week for the first time in her career, and has been a part of the conference Honor Roll on three separate occasions this season.
Under the radar on most accounts is McHugh, arguably Notre Dame’s most valuable player because of what she does that seemingly goes unnoticed. You might call her the “glue” that holds the Irish together through thick and thin. Her strong defense, offensive prowess, and craftiness as a player have given the team necessary boosts in close matches throughout the year. It’s exactly what you might expect from a wily veteran who understands the concept that team play always trumps individual play.
This weekend, Notre Dame will host Pittsburgh on Friday and South Florida on Sunday as it looks to build on its current winning streak. Be sure to check out both matches in person or via live video streaming on und.com (NOTE: Friday’s game will be played in the Joyce Center Fieldhouse, due to the Pacers vs. Bulls NBA preseason game, and will therefore not be streamed). Sunday’s tilt against the Bulls will be the annual Dig Pink match to raise awareness for breast cancer at Purcell Pavilion.
- M. Soccer. Keys To The Game: Duke
- M. Ice Hockey. Hockey Opens Season With 7-5 Exhibition Win Over Guelph
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Earns First ACC Win Of Season At Clemson
- W. Swimming. Women's Swimming & Diving Wins 32nd Dennis Stark Relays
- M. Swimming. Irishmen Win 51st Dennis Stark Relays
- W. Tennis. Gleason, Robinson Take Down Arkansas Duo In Main Draw Consolation
- M. Tennis. Monaghan Falls In Three Sets At All-American Championships
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Hits Road For Matches At Clemson & Georgia Tech
- Football. Pat And Jana Eilers Endow Defensive Backs Coaching Position
- M. Soccer. Klekota Rallies Irish With His Toughness
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Wake up. It's Game Day. http://t.co/6MnRVOhMRg 25 minutes ago
- 🔥🔥1st ACC win of the year🔥🔥 @NDvolleyball takes down Clemson 3-2 on the road #GoIrish #BeatTigers http://t.co/6e7cs4tbVM 9 hours ago
- 🍀2 Teams w/ a Mutual Respect⚓️ Hear the story behind ND vs Navy in Onward Notre Dame WATCH: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/Rjb2… http://t.co/QKHT2fYVUM 13 hours ago
- 🎺 Friday March Out. 🏈 It's officially game weekend. 💥 See you at the Pep Rally. http://t.co/KWsDokamR9 14 hours ago
- SACK = SNACK For every sack @NDFootball makes this weekend, you could win a @Medifast prize pack. #sacksforsnacks twitter.com/medifast/statu… 15 hours ago