Oct 22, 2012, 2:35 PM EDT
Notre Dame volleyball has now won six straight BIG EAST matches following a pair of road victories against Georgetown and Villanova over the weekend. During the streak, Debbie Brown‘s club has only lost one set (to St. John’s on Oct. 7). The Irish stand strong with an overall record of 15-6 and a conference record of 8-1, which is good for second place in the BIG EAST. The Irish only trail No. 15 Louisville in the standings, a team they beat earlier this season away from Purcell Pavilion, with six regular season matches left on the slate.
Key for Notre Dame this season have been sophomore outside hitter Toni Alugbue and junior outside hitter Andrea McHugh. Both players bring an incredible level of versatility to the Irish attack each night, in addition to leadership skills on and off the court. Alugbue leads the team in kills and has been recognized by the BIG EAST conference multiple times for her explosive hitting and consistent play. On Sept. 24, she was named BIG EAST Player of the Week for the first time in her career, and has been a part of the conference Honor Roll on three separate occasions this season.
Under the radar on most accounts is McHugh, arguably Notre Dame’s most valuable player because of what she does that seemingly goes unnoticed. You might call her the “glue” that holds the Irish together through thick and thin. Her strong defense, offensive prowess, and craftiness as a player have given the team necessary boosts in close matches throughout the year. It’s exactly what you might expect from a wily veteran who understands the concept that team play always trumps individual play.
This weekend, Notre Dame will host Pittsburgh on Friday and South Florida on Sunday as it looks to build on its current winning streak. Be sure to check out both matches in person or via live video streaming on und.com (NOTE: Friday’s game will be played in the Joyce Center Fieldhouse, due to the Pacers vs. Bulls NBA preseason game, and will therefore not be streamed). Sunday’s tilt against the Bulls will be the annual Dig Pink match to raise awareness for breast cancer at Purcell Pavilion.
- Track. Irish Turn In Day One At Georgia Tech, Virginia
- W. Golf. Irish In Sixth Place Midway Through ACC Women's Golf Championship
- Baseball. No. 25 Notre Dame Baseball Shuts Out NC State, 2-0, Friday Night
- W. Tennis. No. 33 Irish Fall To No. 21 Clemson, 5-0
- W. Swimming. Mike Litzinger Named Irish Women's Swimming and Diving Coach
- M. Tennis. No. 37 Irish Fall To No. 12 Wake Forest, 4-3
- Softball. #25 Irish Take On Syracuse In Fifth Annual Strikeout Cancer Series
- W. Basketball. Madison Cable Approved for Final Season of Eligibility with Notre Dame Women's Basketball Team in 2015-16
- Baseball. Irish Extra: Smoyer Takes Next Step and Irish Baseball Benefits
- W. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: The Challenge Begins Anew for Irish Women's Hoops Program
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- HALF-A-💯! Cortney Fortunato became 5th @NDWomensLax player to score 50 goals in a year in Thursday's game vs #7 NW. http://t.co/IAU2mUfWhI 7 hours ago
- Deanna Gumpf's (@NDsoftball HC) mission is to fight pediatric cancer. Her team's Strikeout Cancer Weekend does that. http://t.co/F9gnpnhigJ 8 hours ago
- The weather outside is weather. Perfect. Weather. @NDBaseball is back on the diamond tonight at 6pm on @ESPN3. http://t.co/IzhZrKgQxn 12 hours ago
- You never know what will happen at @NotreDameRelay. Learn more about tonight's event (6pm-12): ntrda.me/RelaySchedule http://t.co/A8STh2pXs9 15 hours ago
- School doesn't stop at Commencement ACC Commish John Swofford honored 4 ND student-athletes w/postgrad scholarships. http://t.co/O9M99T31sZ 18 hours ago