Oct 22, 2012, 2:35 PM EDT
Notre Dame volleyball has now won six straight BIG EAST matches following a pair of road victories against Georgetown and Villanova over the weekend. During the streak, Debbie Brown‘s club has only lost one set (to St. John’s on Oct. 7). The Irish stand strong with an overall record of 15-6 and a conference record of 8-1, which is good for second place in the BIG EAST. The Irish only trail No. 15 Louisville in the standings, a team they beat earlier this season away from Purcell Pavilion, with six regular season matches left on the slate.
Key for Notre Dame this season have been sophomore outside hitter Toni Alugbue and junior outside hitter Andrea McHugh. Both players bring an incredible level of versatility to the Irish attack each night, in addition to leadership skills on and off the court. Alugbue leads the team in kills and has been recognized by the BIG EAST conference multiple times for her explosive hitting and consistent play. On Sept. 24, she was named BIG EAST Player of the Week for the first time in her career, and has been a part of the conference Honor Roll on three separate occasions this season.
Under the radar on most accounts is McHugh, arguably Notre Dame’s most valuable player because of what she does that seemingly goes unnoticed. You might call her the “glue” that holds the Irish together through thick and thin. Her strong defense, offensive prowess, and craftiness as a player have given the team necessary boosts in close matches throughout the year. It’s exactly what you might expect from a wily veteran who understands the concept that team play always trumps individual play.
This weekend, Notre Dame will host Pittsburgh on Friday and South Florida on Sunday as it looks to build on its current winning streak. Be sure to check out both matches in person or via live video streaming on und.com (NOTE: Friday’s game will be played in the Joyce Center Fieldhouse, due to the Pacers vs. Bulls NBA preseason game, and will therefore not be streamed). Sunday’s tilt against the Bulls will be the annual Dig Pink match to raise awareness for breast cancer at Purcell Pavilion.
- Baseball. Summer Ball Provides Key Development Opportunities For Players
- M. Tennis. Monaghan Advances To Round of 32 At NCAA Singles Championship
- W. Basketball. Irish, Hawkeyes To Meet In ACC-B1G Challenge
- M. Basketball. Ingelsby Accepts Delaware Head Coach Position
- W. Volleyball. Irish Volleyball Adds Klein & Truett To 2016 Roster
- W. Tennis. Irish Insights: NCAA Singles Championship
- M. Basketball. Irish To Welcome Hawkeyes In 'Challenge' Rematch
- M. Tennis. Monaghan Named National ITA Arthur Ashe Award Winner
- M. Lacrosse. Monday Brunch: Tough Ending in Columbus for Corrigan’s Crew
- Baseball. Vierling Earns ACC All-Freshman Team Honors
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🏈 Another @NDFootball player is livin' the NFL dream. Congrats, Jarrett Grace on signing with @ChicagoBears. amp.twimg.com/v/ad0f4ce7-7af… 38 minutes ago
- ND ➡️ Delaware Congrats @NDmbb Ast. Coach Ingelsby on being Delaware's new head coach READ: und.com/sports/m-baskb… https://t.co/mGkLPMx9R2 8 hours ago
- 🎾 Quentin Monaghan The Arthur Ashe Award winner for great leadership & sportsmanship. INFO: und.com/sports/m-tenni… amp.twimg.com/v/fab30c75-2a5… 19 hours ago
- ND in Stanley Cup Playoffs Erik Condra (Tampa Bay) vs Ian Cole & Bryan Rust (Pitt) Eastern Conf. Final 8pm | NBCSN https://t.co/PY5EgPhWb8 23 hours ago
- 🍀 Quentin Monaghan 2x Captain 4x All-Conference And NOW, Arthur Ashe Award Recipient INFO: und.com/sports/m-tenni… amp.twimg.com/v/83ecdde4-a85… 1 day ago