Oct 22, 2012, 2:35 PM EST
Notre Dame volleyball has now won six straight BIG EAST matches following a pair of road victories against Georgetown and Villanova over the weekend. During the streak, Debbie Brown‘s club has only lost one set (to St. John’s on Oct. 7). The Irish stand strong with an overall record of 15-6 and a conference record of 8-1, which is good for second place in the BIG EAST. The Irish only trail No. 15 Louisville in the standings, a team they beat earlier this season away from Purcell Pavilion, with six regular season matches left on the slate.
Key for Notre Dame this season have been sophomore outside hitter Toni Alugbue and junior outside hitter Andrea McHugh. Both players bring an incredible level of versatility to the Irish attack each night, in addition to leadership skills on and off the court. Alugbue leads the team in kills and has been recognized by the BIG EAST conference multiple times for her explosive hitting and consistent play. On Sept. 24, she was named BIG EAST Player of the Week for the first time in her career, and has been a part of the conference Honor Roll on three separate occasions this season.
Under the radar on most accounts is McHugh, arguably Notre Dame’s most valuable player because of what she does that seemingly goes unnoticed. You might call her the “glue” that holds the Irish together through thick and thin. Her strong defense, offensive prowess, and craftiness as a player have given the team necessary boosts in close matches throughout the year. It’s exactly what you might expect from a wily veteran who understands the concept that team play always trumps individual play.
This weekend, Notre Dame will host Pittsburgh on Friday and South Florida on Sunday as it looks to build on its current winning streak. Be sure to check out both matches in person or via live video streaming on und.com (NOTE: Friday’s game will be played in the Joyce Center Fieldhouse, due to the Pacers vs. Bulls NBA preseason game, and will therefore not be streamed). Sunday’s tilt against the Bulls will be the annual Dig Pink match to raise awareness for breast cancer at Purcell Pavilion.
- M. Ice Hockey. Hockey East Championship At Stake
- Baseball. Big Inning Dooms Irish At San Diego
- Track. Conference Championship is 'Icing on the Cake'
- Softball. Irish Use Explosive Sixth To Stop #11/12 Georgia, 10-7
- M. Ice Hockey. #13 Irish Bounce #5 Boston University 3-1
- M. Tennis. Hagar Clinches Upset of Northwestern at Top Spot
- W. Golf. Opportunity Awaits Women's Golf Team At Westbrook Spring Invitational
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Open Home Schedule Against Michigan on Sunday
- General News. Historic Irish Track & Field Weekend
- W. Lacrosse. March 4 Matchup Versus Louisville Moved to 3 p.m.
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Won Meyo Invitational✔️ Set @NDXCTF Record✔️ Nate Richartz pole vaults @ACCTrackField Championships. Sat | Noon 📺… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 hours ago
- 🏒 Top-15 Win #13 @NDHockey downs #5 Boston University 3-1. ND plays Boston University Saturday for the regular-se… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 5 hours ago
- ☘@NDXCTF Sprinter 🏈@NDFootball CB Troy Pride Jr. races at ACC Track & Field Championships! Fri | 4:45pm & 6:05pm… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 22 hours ago
- ☘ 5th Straight Victory! #9 @NDWomensLax ends Elon's 4-game unbeaten streak with 16-7 win. und.com/sports/w-lacro… 1 day ago
- ☘️ THIS WEEKEND @NDXCTF Hosts ACC Indoor Track & Field Championships. Take Your Mark. Get Set. Go Irish. INFO:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago