Oct 23, 2012, 3:01 PM EDT
Britney Sanders is having an incredible start to this tennis season. In fact, it could hardly be any better. The junior out of Ontario, Calif. hadn’t lost a singles match all season until this afternoon. She is a near-perfect 7-1. Not only is she dominating as a singles player, she is also 8-1 with her doubles partner Julie Sabacinski. Both of her losses came in the championship of their most recent tournament, the USTA/ITA Midwest Regional against the Kopinski/White duo of the Fighting Illini.
Today she took her 7-0 record into the singles final of the same tournament with a highly coveted automatic berth in the USTA/ITA National Indoor Intercollegiate Championship on the line. Her opponent, Kate Turvy of Northwestern, was the number 2 seed in the tournament and rolled through the semifinals with a 6-0, 6-0 sweep.
Sanders had already knocked off the number 1 seed Emina Bektas in the quarterfinals, so she came into the match with confidence. Unfortunately, she came up just a little short after forcing a third set which she lost 6-4. It was a tough loss to swallow, but Sanders has nothing to hang her head about.
After reaching the finals in both singles and doubles, she has shown she’s a force to be reckoned with this season. We’re all excited to see how Britney Sanders will attack the rest of the year.
- Fencing. Irish To Host 2017 NCAA Championships
- W. Volleyball. Irish Look to Remain Unbeaten in ACC Play Against Duke and Wake Forest
- Cross Country. Keys To The Race: Joe Piane Notre Dame Invitational
- Monogram Club. Notre Dame’s Alan Page to Receive Heisman Humanitarian Award
- Football. Notre Dame’s Alan Page to Receive Heisman Humanitarian Award
- Monogram Club. Longtime Irish Boxing Tutor Loses Final Bout
- Football. Notre Dame-Syracuse 2016: Yet Another Challenge for Irish Defense
- W. Volleyball. Senior Katie Higgins Reflects on Her Notre Dame Volleyball Career
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Men's Lacrosse Teams Up With Todd Rundgren for Dickinson Academy Special
- Monogram Club. Monogram Club Announces Notice Of Annual Meeting
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🏈 Raising the Bar WR C.J. Sanders leads the Irish with 127 all-purpose yards per game. 👀@TheLifeofCeej https://t.co/IpFgsaZKvz 3 hours ago
- “There’s always a part of the game you can improve.” @NDFootball's Durham Smythe discusses working toward becoming… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 21 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: "Each era has added something a little bit more special." Head coach Bobby Clark reflects on the 40th Anniversary of @N… 1 day ago
- ☘ 2016 @NDVolleyball Stats 🔹Won 7 of the past 8 games. 🔸8 of 11 wins have been sweeps. 🔹11-3 record is best start… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 1 day ago
- We will continue to learn & fight. There's no quit in @NDFootball. https://t.co/XrQ6hdVklN 1 day ago