Oct 23, 2012, 3:01 PM EST
Britney Sanders is having an incredible start to this tennis season. In fact, it could hardly be any better. The junior out of Ontario, Calif. hadn’t lost a singles match all season until this afternoon. She is a near-perfect 7-1. Not only is she dominating as a singles player, she is also 8-1 with her doubles partner Julie Sabacinski. Both of her losses came in the championship of their most recent tournament, the USTA/ITA Midwest Regional against the Kopinski/White duo of the Fighting Illini.
Today she took her 7-0 record into the singles final of the same tournament with a highly coveted automatic berth in the USTA/ITA National Indoor Intercollegiate Championship on the line. Her opponent, Kate Turvy of Northwestern, was the number 2 seed in the tournament and rolled through the semifinals with a 6-0, 6-0 sweep.
Sanders had already knocked off the number 1 seed Emina Bektas in the quarterfinals, so she came into the match with confidence. Unfortunately, she came up just a little short after forcing a third set which she lost 6-4. It was a tough loss to swallow, but Sanders has nothing to hang her head about.
After reaching the finals in both singles and doubles, she has shown she’s a force to be reckoned with this season. We’re all excited to see how Britney Sanders will attack the rest of the year.
- M. Tennis. Irish Etch Sixth Sweep In 7-0 Victory Over Hoosiers
- Baseball. Irish Fall In Alamo Irish Classic Finale
- W. Tennis. Irish Win Third Straight With 5-2 Victory Over Louisville
- M. Lacrosse. Sunday Brunch: Irish Check Opening Day Boxes
- Softball. #11/10 Michigan Defeats Irish 9-2
- M. Ice Hockey. Resilient Irish Play Providence To 3-3 Tie
- Baseball. Solomon Strikes Out Nine In Victory
- W. Basketball. Crucial ACC Test Sunday at #21 Syracuse
- Football. Onward Notre Dame: Corey Robinson Premiers Saturday Night On NBCSN
- M. Lacrosse. Garnsey's Career Day Leads Irish to Victory Over Hoyas
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.