Oct 25, 2012, 11:31 AM EDT
Those of you who have been following the blog know that the new Castellan Family Fencing Facility – located on the site of the former hockey rink in the Joyce Athletic and Convocation Center – was dedicated in a ceremony last Saturday. The fencers are excited about the move into their newer and nicer digs (it’s hard not to be jealous of anyone who gets to hang around in a lounge and locker room that nice), but the improvements aren’t just cosmetic: They will also help them practice more effectively.
“This new fencing facility puts our fencing resources at the top of the country among our competitors,” junior sabre Alex Coccia said. “With more fencing strips we will be able to have more people fencing at any given time, and one of the keys to fencing is trying to get as many bouts in during a single practice as possible – it gives you a place to start next practice, a record and style on which to improve, and it simulates a tournament setting well.”
Some members of the men’s fencing team thought that they might receive their rings commemorating last year’s conference title at the ceremony, but it turns out they’ll have to wait a little bit longer for that. However, with Notre Dame Fencing’s rich history, talented roster, and state of the art facilities, there are probably plenty more rings in their future.
- W. Basketball. Diggins, Achonwa Earn WNBAâ€™s Top Monthly Honors
- General News. Camp Is In Session
- Track. Irish To Welcome Top Women's Distance Class
- Cross Country. Irish To Welcome Top Women's Distance Class
- W. Soccer. Irish Legends Featured In Historic Women's World Cup
- W. Swimming. Casareto And Reaney Earn Scholar All-America Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Chicago Blackhawks Returning to Notre Dame
- Monogram Club. Shannon Boxx (â€˜99) And Team USA Win FIFA Womenâ€™s World Cup
- M. Soccer. Notre Dame Advanced And Elite Camp 1 Schedule
- Football. Football, Uplifting Athletes Bowling Event Set For July 12
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.