Oct 25, 2012, 11:31 AM EST
Those of you who have been following the blog know that the new Castellan Family Fencing Facility – located on the site of the former hockey rink in the Joyce Athletic and Convocation Center – was dedicated in a ceremony last Saturday. The fencers are excited about the move into their newer and nicer digs (it’s hard not to be jealous of anyone who gets to hang around in a lounge and locker room that nice), but the improvements aren’t just cosmetic: They will also help them practice more effectively.
“This new fencing facility puts our fencing resources at the top of the country among our competitors,” junior sabre Alex Coccia said. “With more fencing strips we will be able to have more people fencing at any given time, and one of the keys to fencing is trying to get as many bouts in during a single practice as possible – it gives you a place to start next practice, a record and style on which to improve, and it simulates a tournament setting well.”
Some members of the men’s fencing team thought that they might receive their rings commemorating last year’s conference title at the ceremony, but it turns out they’ll have to wait a little bit longer for that. However, with Notre Dame Fencing’s rich history, talented roster, and state of the art facilities, there are probably plenty more rings in their future.
- Swimming & Diving. #13/18 Irish Remain In The Hunt At OSU Fall Invite
- M. Ice Hockey. Morrison Tallies Overtime Winner As #4 Irish Down RPI 1-0
- Football. #8 Irish Hold Off Midshipmen, 24-17
- W. Soccer. How Sweet It Is: Irish Prepared to Face Baylor
- M. Ice Hockey. 2019 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic Set For Notre Dame Stadium
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish Begin NCAA Journey Sunday Against #20 Wisconsin
- W. Soccer. Irish Use Penalty Kicks to Eliminate No. 2-Seeded Aggies
- Swimming & Diving. #13/18 Irish Off To Strong Start In Columbus
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Decimates Tar Heels In Straight-Set Sweep
- M. Ice Hockey. #4 Irish Down RPI 4-1 For Sixth Straight Win
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.