Oct 25, 2012, 10:46 AM EDT
St. John’s University and Van Cortlandt Park will host the next substantial test for the Irish women’s cross-country team. The BIG EAST Championship will feature 15 women’s teams including perennial powerhouses Providence, Georgetown, and defending champion Villanova.
The Irish women look to rebound after a 12th place finish in the Wisconsin Invitational. In Madison, all Irish runners failed to crack the top 50 in the 316-runner field.
The conference championship boasts a field with five teams nationally ranked within the top 25 spots in the USATFCCCA poll. The Irish enter the contest on Friday ranked 19th in the country.
“We go into every meet with the intention of winning,” head coach Tim Connelly said. “We will be in the hunt if we run like we’re capable; if we don’t, we could finish 6th. That is how strong the field is.”
Other programs won’t be the only obstacles standing in the way of the Irish capturing a BIG EAST title. Van Cortlandt Park is a notoriously arduous track and adds variables to the typical courses Notre Dame competes at.
“We generally run on golf courses or other areas with a lot of grass,” Connelly said. “This (Cortlandt) is mainly trails with crushed limestone and incorporates a lot of hills.”
Friday will be the last tune up race for the Irish before they make a return trip to Madison, Wisc. for the Great Lakes Regional meet. Finishing positions in the regional meet will determine if the Irish earn a spot in the NCAA Championships.
“This meet (BIG EAST) is the first step in achieving our season goals,” Connelly said. “Winning this will give us confidence that will hopefully carry us to a top-2 finish at regionals and an automatic bid to the National Championships.”
The meet begins at 11 a.m. EST. Times and standings will be updated on UND.com at the conclusion of the race.
- Swimming & Diving. Notre Dame Swimming and Diving Ranked Top 15 in National Rankings
- M. Soccer. #4 Irish Meet #20 MSU In Final ’16 Nonconference Match
- W. Tennis. Irish Wrap Play At ITA Midwest Regional Championships
- W. Basketball. Allen Named to Nancy Lieberman Award Watch List
- W. Tennis. Robinson, Broda Advance To Doubles Final At ITA Regional
- M. Tennis. Irish Doubles Pairs Fall In ITA Midwest Regional Championship Semifinals
- W. Volleyball. Irish Push Win Streak to Three With Sweep of Hokies
- W. Rowing. Rowing Wraps Up Head of the Charles
- W. Soccer. Late Goal Lifts #14 Irish To 1-0 Victory Over Wake Forest
- W. Tennis. Irish Keep Rolling At ITA, IU Regionals
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 50 years ago Ara Parseghian led ND to a national title. Relive the '66 title run in Onward Notre Dame. FULL VIDEO… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 4 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: In 4 years at Notre Dame @NDXCTF's Molly Seidel won 4 @NCAA titles. She's not done. Hear Molly's story going into her… 8 hours ago
- ☘️ND Moves to 9-1 in ACC Play @NDVolleyball continues to improve its best ACC record w/ 3-0 win vs Virginia Tech.… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 1 day ago
- ⚽️ FINAL #14 @NDSoccer 1 | Wake Forest 0 See JR @MeganMcCashland's goal that led ND to an ACC win over Wake Fores… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 1 day ago
- ⚽️ @NDMenSoccer returns to defend home turf. Notre Dame vs. MSU ⏰ Tuesday | 7pm ☘️ Alumni Stadium TIX:… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 1 day ago