Oct 25, 2012, 10:46 AM EDT
St. John’s University and Van Cortlandt Park will host the next substantial test for the Irish women’s cross-country team. The BIG EAST Championship will feature 15 women’s teams including perennial powerhouses Providence, Georgetown, and defending champion Villanova.
The Irish women look to rebound after a 12th place finish in the Wisconsin Invitational. In Madison, all Irish runners failed to crack the top 50 in the 316-runner field.
The conference championship boasts a field with five teams nationally ranked within the top 25 spots in the USATFCCCA poll. The Irish enter the contest on Friday ranked 19th in the country.
“We go into every meet with the intention of winning,” head coach Tim Connelly said. “We will be in the hunt if we run like we’re capable; if we don’t, we could finish 6th. That is how strong the field is.”
Other programs won’t be the only obstacles standing in the way of the Irish capturing a BIG EAST title. Van Cortlandt Park is a notoriously arduous track and adds variables to the typical courses Notre Dame competes at.
“We generally run on golf courses or other areas with a lot of grass,” Connelly said. “This (Cortlandt) is mainly trails with crushed limestone and incorporates a lot of hills.”
Friday will be the last tune up race for the Irish before they make a return trip to Madison, Wisc. for the Great Lakes Regional meet. Finishing positions in the regional meet will determine if the Irish earn a spot in the NCAA Championships.
“This meet (BIG EAST) is the first step in achieving our season goals,” Connelly said. “Winning this will give us confidence that will hopefully carry us to a top-2 finish at regionals and an automatic bid to the National Championships.”
The meet begins at 11 a.m. EST. Times and standings will be updated on UND.com at the conclusion of the race.
- M. Ice Hockey. NCAA Northeast Regional Awaits
- Swimming & Diving. No. 19 Notre Dame Men's Swimming and Diving Set to Compete at NCAA Championships
- W. Soccer. Yu Heads To Camp With U-23 Women's National Team
- Fencing. Keys To The Meet: 2017 NCAA Fencing Championships
- Swimming & Diving. Inside Irish: 2017 NCAA Division I Women's Swimming and Diving Championships
- Baseball. Irish Walk By Huskies
- Softball. Irish Mark Return To Melissa Cook Stadium Vs. MSU
- Baseball. Irish Finally Take Field At Home
- M. Golf. Risedorph Awarded 2017 Merchandiser of the Year
- W. Golf. Risedorph Awarded 2017 Merchandiser of the Year
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 💯 Fresh Jerseys ☀️ Bright Sky ☘ It's Game Day! @NDSoftball kicks off its home opener. ND vs. MSU | 4:30pm 📺… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 hours ago
- ⚾️ IRISH WIN HOME OPENER @NDBaseball recorded two 5-run innings in its 12-1 win over Northern Illinois. 📽 Highlig… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 8 hours ago
- ☘ IRISH DOMINATE ACC FENCING Men's & Women's @NDFencing teams combine for 4 of 6 ACC Fencer of the Year awards. und.com/sports/c-fenc/… 23 hours ago
- ACC Offensive Player of the Week Sergio Perkovic earns ACC honors after leading @NDlacrosse to overtime win at UVA. und.com/sports/m-lacro… 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘ @NDFencing's Lee Kiefer 2x Olympian 3x NCAA Champ And NOW... 1st U.S. women's foilist to earn #1 World Ranking! htt… 1 day ago