Oct 25, 2012, 10:46 AM EST
St. John’s University and Van Cortlandt Park will host the next substantial test for the Irish women’s cross-country team. The BIG EAST Championship will feature 15 women’s teams including perennial powerhouses Providence, Georgetown, and defending champion Villanova.
The Irish women look to rebound after a 12th place finish in the Wisconsin Invitational. In Madison, all Irish runners failed to crack the top 50 in the 316-runner field.
The conference championship boasts a field with five teams nationally ranked within the top 25 spots in the USATFCCCA poll. The Irish enter the contest on Friday ranked 19th in the country.
“We go into every meet with the intention of winning,” head coach Tim Connelly said. “We will be in the hunt if we run like we’re capable; if we don’t, we could finish 6th. That is how strong the field is.”
Other programs won’t be the only obstacles standing in the way of the Irish capturing a BIG EAST title. Van Cortlandt Park is a notoriously arduous track and adds variables to the typical courses Notre Dame competes at.
“We generally run on golf courses or other areas with a lot of grass,” Connelly said. “This (Cortlandt) is mainly trails with crushed limestone and incorporates a lot of hills.”
Friday will be the last tune up race for the Irish before they make a return trip to Madison, Wisc. for the Great Lakes Regional meet. Finishing positions in the regional meet will determine if the Irish earn a spot in the NCAA Championships.
“This meet (BIG EAST) is the first step in achieving our season goals,” Connelly said. “Winning this will give us confidence that will hopefully carry us to a top-2 finish at regionals and an automatic bid to the National Championships.”
The meet begins at 11 a.m. EST. Times and standings will be updated on UND.com at the conclusion of the race.
- M. Ice Hockey. Wegwerth's Third Period Tally Lifts Irish To Overtime Tie
- Swimming & Diving. Notre Dame Falls To Top-25 Louisville
- M. Tennis. Irish Defeat Cardinals 7-0 In Season Lid-Lifter
- Track. Keys To The Meet: Notre Dame Invitational
- W. Soccer. Romagnolo Adds Norman ('07) To Women's Soccer Coaching Staff
- M. Basketball. Syracuse Preview - Five Things To Know
- Fencing. Keys To The Meets: St. John’s & NYU Invitationals
- M. Ice Hockey. Bjork Named A Hockey Humanitarian Nominee
- W. Basketball. Irish Bounce Back with Victory over Eagles
- Swimming & Diving. Notre Dame Ready For Top-25 Matchup Against Louisville
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 3x @NDmbb Captain 1st Round @NBA Draft Pick 2017 Ring of Honor Inductee David Rivers met the team before Saturday'… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 8 hours ago
- Still need a ticket for @NDmbb vs Syracuse? Shop the ND Ticket Exchange powered by @VividSeats. TIX:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 10 hours ago
- Nov. 26th @ndwbb's Lindsay Allen reached 600 career assists. Thursday she recorded her 700th. ND's 4th player & 5… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 14 hours ago
- 🏀 Irish ride Marina Mabrey's 3rd quarter scoring blitz to 17th win! Recap @ndwbb's 80-69 victory at Boston College. und.com/sports/w-baskb… 17 hours ago
- 🏀@ndwbb in the Hall of Fame! @NDSportsBlogger toured the Women's Basketball HOF w/ the team. Special to see ND's… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago