Oct 25, 2012, 10:46 AM EDT
St. John’s University and Van Cortlandt Park will host the next substantial test for the Irish women’s cross-country team. The BIG EAST Championship will feature 15 women’s teams including perennial powerhouses Providence, Georgetown, and defending champion Villanova.
The Irish women look to rebound after a 12th place finish in the Wisconsin Invitational. In Madison, all Irish runners failed to crack the top 50 in the 316-runner field.
The conference championship boasts a field with five teams nationally ranked within the top 25 spots in the USATFCCCA poll. The Irish enter the contest on Friday ranked 19th in the country.
“We go into every meet with the intention of winning,” head coach Tim Connelly said. “We will be in the hunt if we run like we’re capable; if we don’t, we could finish 6th. That is how strong the field is.”
Other programs won’t be the only obstacles standing in the way of the Irish capturing a BIG EAST title. Van Cortlandt Park is a notoriously arduous track and adds variables to the typical courses Notre Dame competes at.
“We generally run on golf courses or other areas with a lot of grass,” Connelly said. “This (Cortlandt) is mainly trails with crushed limestone and incorporates a lot of hills.”
Friday will be the last tune up race for the Irish before they make a return trip to Madison, Wisc. for the Great Lakes Regional meet. Finishing positions in the regional meet will determine if the Irish earn a spot in the NCAA Championships.
“This meet (BIG EAST) is the first step in achieving our season goals,” Connelly said. “Winning this will give us confidence that will hopefully carry us to a top-2 finish at regionals and an automatic bid to the National Championships.”
The meet begins at 11 a.m. EST. Times and standings will be updated on UND.com at the conclusion of the race.
- M. Soccer. Getting To Know Men's Soccer's Matt Habrowski
- W. Soccer. Ten Questions: Kaleigh Olmsted
- M. Ice Hockey. NBC Sports Group Drops The Puck On Fourth Season Of Notre Dame Hockey Coverage
- M. Golf. Albin Tops Irish as Play Concludes in Arizona
- W. Golf. Irish Finish Sixth At Season Opening Schooner Classic
- W. Soccer. #24 Irish Tame Panthers In 4-0 Victory
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Blows by Hurricanes in Straight-Set Win
- Football. Sunday Brunch: Irish Look Themselves in Mirror
- Football. VanGorder Relieved of Duties; Hudson Assumes Responsibilities
- Football. Notre Dame-Duke 2016: What the Irish Learned
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 📽Coming Tuesday Locker room & sideline footage from ND vs Duke. "We're going to change the direction of this foot… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 11 hours ago
- ON THIS DAY: 1953 @NDFootball became the last team to beat Oklahoma before its 47-game winning streak. ND broke t… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 17 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘️Stellar Weekend 🏐 @NDVolleyball downs Miami 3-0 to earn its 2nd sweep of the weekend. READ: und.com/sports/w-volle… h… 20 hours ago
- ☘️Stellar Weekend 🏐 @NDVolleyball downs Miami 3-0 to earn its 2nd sweep of the weekend. READ:… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 1 day ago
- 🍀 4 Goals by 4 Different Players. @NDSoccer wins its ACC home opener 4-0 vs. Pittsburgh. 📽 Top-5 Moments https://t.co/yIYW2ICCpk 1 day ago