Oct 25, 2012, 10:46 AM EDT
St. John’s University and Van Cortlandt Park will host the next substantial test for the Irish women’s cross-country team. The BIG EAST Championship will feature 15 women’s teams including perennial powerhouses Providence, Georgetown, and defending champion Villanova.
The Irish women look to rebound after a 12th place finish in the Wisconsin Invitational. In Madison, all Irish runners failed to crack the top 50 in the 316-runner field.
The conference championship boasts a field with five teams nationally ranked within the top 25 spots in the USATFCCCA poll. The Irish enter the contest on Friday ranked 19th in the country.
“We go into every meet with the intention of winning,” head coach Tim Connelly said. “We will be in the hunt if we run like we’re capable; if we don’t, we could finish 6th. That is how strong the field is.”
Other programs won’t be the only obstacles standing in the way of the Irish capturing a BIG EAST title. Van Cortlandt Park is a notoriously arduous track and adds variables to the typical courses Notre Dame competes at.
“We generally run on golf courses or other areas with a lot of grass,” Connelly said. “This (Cortlandt) is mainly trails with crushed limestone and incorporates a lot of hills.”
Friday will be the last tune up race for the Irish before they make a return trip to Madison, Wisc. for the Great Lakes Regional meet. Finishing positions in the regional meet will determine if the Irish earn a spot in the NCAA Championships.
“This meet (BIG EAST) is the first step in achieving our season goals,” Connelly said. “Winning this will give us confidence that will hopefully carry us to a top-2 finish at regionals and an automatic bid to the National Championships.”
The meet begins at 11 a.m. EST. Times and standings will be updated on UND.com at the conclusion of the race.
- Track. Barber Sets ND 100-Meter Hurdles Record At Texas Relays
- W. Golf. Irish Women's Golf Rises To Fifth After Two Rounds At LSU Tiger Classic
- Softball. #RV Irish Shut Out #24 Virginia Tech 2-0 To Take Series Opener
- M. Lacrosse. #2 Irish Down #1 Syracuse In Double-Overtime, 13-12
- W. Basketball. #2 Irish Meet #5/6 Baylor Sunday In NCAA Elite Eight
- M. Basketball. Elite Eight Preview: (3) #8 Notre Dame vs. (1) #1 Kentucky
- W. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: Allen Steals the Show for Irish Versus Stanford
- Softball. Notre Dame Softball Saturday Schedule Update
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #2 Notre Dame 81, #14/17 Stanford 60 (NCAA Championship - Oklahoma City Regional Semifinal)
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Women's Basketball Postgame Quotes - Notre Dame vs. Stanford
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ❤️️🍀 10 hours ago
- Ten ties. fourteen lead changes. 5:23 left and the Irish lead 61-56. Pat headed to the line. TBS now. 11 hours ago
- Just saying…might want to turn on TBS. Just saying. 11 hours ago
- RT @angdicarlowndu: Former @NDFootball captain @EiferTy85 is "psyched" for his Irish. http://t.co/kBaO5GVL6N 11 hours ago
- A title fight underway in Cleveland. @NDmbb and no. 1 Kentucky into the half tied at 31. 20 minutes (at least) to the Final Four. TV: TBS. 11 hours ago