Oct 25, 2012, 10:46 AM EDT
St. John’s University and Van Cortlandt Park will host the next substantial test for the Irish women’s cross-country team. The BIG EAST Championship will feature 15 women’s teams including perennial powerhouses Providence, Georgetown, and defending champion Villanova.
The Irish women look to rebound after a 12th place finish in the Wisconsin Invitational. In Madison, all Irish runners failed to crack the top 50 in the 316-runner field.
The conference championship boasts a field with five teams nationally ranked within the top 25 spots in the USATFCCCA poll. The Irish enter the contest on Friday ranked 19th in the country.
“We go into every meet with the intention of winning,” head coach Tim Connelly said. “We will be in the hunt if we run like we’re capable; if we don’t, we could finish 6th. That is how strong the field is.”
Other programs won’t be the only obstacles standing in the way of the Irish capturing a BIG EAST title. Van Cortlandt Park is a notoriously arduous track and adds variables to the typical courses Notre Dame competes at.
“We generally run on golf courses or other areas with a lot of grass,” Connelly said. “This (Cortlandt) is mainly trails with crushed limestone and incorporates a lot of hills.”
Friday will be the last tune up race for the Irish before they make a return trip to Madison, Wisc. for the Great Lakes Regional meet. Finishing positions in the regional meet will determine if the Irish earn a spot in the NCAA Championships.
“This meet (BIG EAST) is the first step in achieving our season goals,” Connelly said. “Winning this will give us confidence that will hopefully carry us to a top-2 finish at regionals and an automatic bid to the National Championships.”
The meet begins at 11 a.m. EST. Times and standings will be updated on UND.com at the conclusion of the race.
- W. Soccer. Ten Questions: Kaela Little
- M. Lacrosse. Landis to Play in US Lacrosse Grand Opening Game
- W. Golf. Women’s Golf Faces Challenging 2016-17 Schedule
- M. Soccer. #9 Irish, Valpo Claw To Draw 1-1 In Scrimmage Finale
- M. Swimming. Notre Dame 2016-17 Swimming and Diving Schedule Released
- W. Swimming. Notre Dame 2016-17 Swimming and Diving Schedule Released
- M. Lacrosse. Kavanagh, Ossello Earn MLL Championship Rings
- W. Rowing. Irish Trio Compete At World Rowing Championships
- W. Soccer. #13 Irish Prevail In Defensive Battle With Wisconsin
- General News. Rio Games Come To A Close
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: The road to @NotreDame degrees & national titles begins. Day 1 of 2016-17 school year. Welcome back, students! https:/… 9 hours ago
- 📚 The first day of classes is complete & our students are home under the dome. Here's to a new school year. https://t.co/shuyYbiXyI 18 hours ago
- The road to @NotreDame degrees & national titles begins. Day 1 of 2016-17 school year. Welcome back, students! https://t.co/USSVdReYV3 21 hours ago
- 🏅Medal Count🏅 3 Notre Dame athletes won bronze in Rio 🇨🇦Melissa Tancredi ⚽️ 🇺🇸Gerek Meinhardt ⚔ 🇺🇸Mariel Zagunis ⚔ https://t.co/ChxFHEzysq 1 day ago
- ☘@NDlacrosse Champs🏆 Matt Kavanagh & Nick Ossello win Major League Lacrosse title game. ➡️ und.com/sports/m-lacro… https://t.co/jRDsNcDFEd 2 days ago