Oct 25, 2012, 10:46 AM EDT
St. John’s University and Van Cortlandt Park will host the next substantial test for the Irish women’s cross-country team. The BIG EAST Championship will feature 15 women’s teams including perennial powerhouses Providence, Georgetown, and defending champion Villanova.
The Irish women look to rebound after a 12th place finish in the Wisconsin Invitational. In Madison, all Irish runners failed to crack the top 50 in the 316-runner field.
The conference championship boasts a field with five teams nationally ranked within the top 25 spots in the USATFCCCA poll. The Irish enter the contest on Friday ranked 19th in the country.
“We go into every meet with the intention of winning,” head coach Tim Connelly said. “We will be in the hunt if we run like we’re capable; if we don’t, we could finish 6th. That is how strong the field is.”
Other programs won’t be the only obstacles standing in the way of the Irish capturing a BIG EAST title. Van Cortlandt Park is a notoriously arduous track and adds variables to the typical courses Notre Dame competes at.
“We generally run on golf courses or other areas with a lot of grass,” Connelly said. “This (Cortlandt) is mainly trails with crushed limestone and incorporates a lot of hills.”
Friday will be the last tune up race for the Irish before they make a return trip to Madison, Wisc. for the Great Lakes Regional meet. Finishing positions in the regional meet will determine if the Irish earn a spot in the NCAA Championships.
“This meet (BIG EAST) is the first step in achieving our season goals,” Connelly said. “Winning this will give us confidence that will hopefully carry us to a top-2 finish at regionals and an automatic bid to the National Championships.”
The meet begins at 11 a.m. EST. Times and standings will be updated on UND.com at the conclusion of the race.
- W. Rowing. Kottkamp Repeats As NCAA Elite 89 Award Winner
- W. Rowing. #16 Irish Out West For NCAA Rowing Championship
- Baseball. Irish Extra: Cristian Torres Is More Than Meets The Eye
- Softball. Koerner Earns Irish Record Third All-America Honor
- General News. Notre Dame Athletics Leads the Way in NCAA APR Four-Year Numbers
- Track. Irish Geared For NCAA East Preliminary Championship
- W. Basketball. Irish Host Ohio State In Big Ten/ACC Women's Basketball Challenge
- Fencing. I Am Strong, If You Are Strong: A Tribute to Billy Meckling
- Baseball. Irish Extra: Notre Dame Baseball Sees Big Jump Up the Curve
- Softball. Irish Great Koerner Inks Contract With USSSA Pride
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🏆 Time? Will Barbara Sullivan or Matt Kavanagh bring home Lacrosse's highest honor, The Tewaaraton Award, tonight? http://t.co/hKaFC44Jdj 12 hours ago
- Notre Dame is truly an International University. Our Student-Athletes travel the globe to spread our 5 pillars. http://t.co/dFR3VIJREn 15 hours ago
- ⚽️MISHU MAKES HIS DEBUT⚽️ @NDMenSoccer alum Luke Mishu set to make @MLS debut with @dcunited as part of Starting XI. http://t.co/5YX8xDCqCk 1 day ago
- Proud to stand with our partner, Bank of America, in support of @SpecialOlympics. #PassTheFlame #UnifiedRelay twitter.com/bofa_community… 1 day ago
- A border rivalry in the making ... twitter.com/ndwbb/status/6… 1 day ago